The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

this is why i prefer bands who don't play arenas and instead fill sold-out halls every night of the tour with a fanbase that knows every word to every deep cut. there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of groups like this.

So this ^ I mean, I think I only a handful of times been in a smaller venue and like standing close enough with famous bands. I was never like near a barricade or in a pit though. Not even sure these shows had those, because one was Avril Lavigne (not sure the crowd was too into moshing her music lol) and later/more recent shows where moshing wasn't allowed.

However, I can vividly recall in college going to see my friends' bands and being right up in front and watching the moshing (but yea, it was like less than 30, no more like 12 dudes, so it was just totally humorous to me. :P And well, I personally didn't know the words to the songs, but saw others shouting them out and i still enjoyed myself. Lol It was like "math metal" or something (?) And this wasn't really close to anything I had heard or liked before, but hey! It showed me a new crowd. This was just on campus, so no "scenes" like you and others here may have experienced. 

Meh, now I really am getting off topic, but to pull it back in, I just have to say that to be at those early Blink (and like MCR, my other current fave band, who started out around my college days) shows, would have truly been an experience! Not to mention all the after show mingling. 

Honestly, at the end of high school, I was hoping the local band I followed there would go on to do big things, but nahhh. Lol I don't think many from here are that ambitious. Ha! Which is why I get so easily impressed by things. :P 

How many casuals are buying blink 182 tour tickets anyways? At the least they are probably made up of fans of 'certain albums' not "this is the band that does All The Small Things! (from 20 years ago)".

Festivals, sure, hits only all day, but this is their tour, for like California and then Nine and they are still playing only their old hits...wtf?  Even as an avid Cali hater and a friend of mine who was not even a fan said the same thing after, "why the fuck did they only play the old songs with the new member?" We wanted to hear the new stuff

• Like 3

Just thinking, it is very possible the drummer from that high school band ^ was who first kinda introduced me to Blink. Afterall, that's who got me hooked on The Offspring with Smash. (Think Americana was around then too). But then that wouldn't have been until second half of 98...but it wasn't uncommon for me to get into things like a year after the album release. Lol Seriously?! Why is this Blink stuff so muddled for me?! Go ahead! Ask me anything else from those days. I'll likely remember that, but can't remember this. Lol

3 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

How many casuals are buying blink 182 tour tickets anyways? At the least they are probably made up of fans of 'certain albums' not "this is the band that does All The Small Things! (from 20 years ago)".

Festivals, sure, hits only all day, but this is their tour, for like California and then Nine and they are still playing only their old hits...wtf?  Even as an avid Cali hater and a friend of mine who was not even a fan said the same thing after, "why the fuck did they only play the old songs with the new member?" We wanted to hear the new stuff

Yea . Like I’m saying, the importance of the casual fan dictating blinks success and future has been disgustingly over exaggerated and miscalculated on this board 

• Like 2

The only part I disagree with all the "deep cut" people is that I don't want to hear crap like Strings or Apple Shampoo or acoustic versions of old songs. Just play Peggy Due, Pathetic, Going Away, Go etc

These so called casuals don't know any of the new songs either, so what's the difference if blink plays 1 or 2 old songs?

2 hours ago, thongrider said:

One song is enough to kill a crowd. 

That’s weird because they stopped playing Adam’s Song (Which charted much higher than First Date by the way) for years. Still, the crowds kept coming. 

Disclaimer- yes I’m aware that they stopped playing Adam’s Song after DJ AM (whose name was Adam) died. But your casual fan wouldn’t know that connection, so the reason why they stopped playing it is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, they didn’t play one of their biggest songs for years and it didn’t affect them in the slightest. They could easily take out First Date, Rock Show, or whatever they wanted and as long as they play the majority of their hits, they’ll be A-ok. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

They were doing a pretty good mix of old and new at the their non-enema and non-festival sets towards the ends there. The last show was that Halloween one and they played 19 songs, 1 was a cover, 6 were a mix of Cali/nine and then the rest were hits from the past. 1/3 of the set list dedicated to less then 1/3 of their repertoire is alright. The problem is the 19 songs should be 22-24 with a few more new and old thrown in.

• Like 1

Think I'm narrowing it down now, (and feeling REALLY stupid, I might add). Don't know why I didn't check this before, but the Dammit single wasn't released until September of 97, so I'm guessing that's when I first heard it, off the radio, in the days when we used to have to tape record songs on a cassette tape. Lol Unfortunately, I erased and/or gave all of those old tapes to my younger brother, so they're likely gone. Seriously, @daveyjones and even @Ry-Bread, how is your memory so good?!! Lol I mean, I guess it doesn't help I threw out so much stuff. Sigh! Oh well! Forcing me to use my brain. :P

edit: unfortunately, I can't remember specifics of what i thought of the song that first time, other than I know I liked it. 

10 hours ago, Tombomb said:

So this ^ I mean, I think I only a handful of times been in a smaller venue and like standing close enough with famous bands. I was never like near a barricade or in a pit though. Not even sure these shows had those, because one was Avril Lavigne (not sure the crowd was too into moshing her music lol) and later/more recent shows where moshing wasn't allowed.

However, I can vividly recall in college going to see my friends' bands and being right up in front and watching the moshing (but yea, it was like less than 30, no more like 12 dudes, so it was just totally humorous to me. :P And well, I personally didn't know the words to the songs, but saw others shouting them out and i still enjoyed myself. Lol It was like "math metal" or something (?) And this wasn't really close to anything I had heard or liked before, but hey! It showed me a new crowd. This was just on campus, so no "scenes" like you and others here may have experienced. 

Meh, now I really am getting off topic, but to pull it back in, I just have to say that to be at those early Blink (and like MCR, my other current fave band, who started out around my college days) shows, would have truly been an experience! Not to mention all the after show mingling. 

Honestly, at the end of high school, I was hoping the local band I followed there would go on to do big things, but nahhh. Lol I don't think many from here are that ambitious. Ha! Which is why I get so easily impressed by things. :P 

@daveyjones I noticed you were having notifications issues...i tagged you a couple of times. This was one (Oh  I quoted you.) Maybe you already saw it though. Also tagged you in the podcast section, as I listened to part 1 of your interview with Ry. Exciting times for sure! Lucky you! :D

11 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

In my experience, a lot of casual fans are buying tour tickets. Back in the day I went to concerts by myself (or with my dad in tow) because none of my friends were into them. But blink has a nostalgia edge to them now and a bunch of my friends and former classmates have been going to see them live (even though they haven't bought nor probably listened to any of newer albums and I wouldn't be surprised if many of them didn't know Tom wasn't going to show up). With that said, I don't think any of the casual fans I know would mind if a few 'deep cuts' were played...and I doubt they'd notice a difference or care at all. 

I've been a casual fan at shows for other bands before and have never cared if I didn't recognize a song or two. Usually it resulted in me going home and listening to them more. 

3 minutes ago, mahtmd said:

In my experience, a lot of casual fans are buying tour tickets. Back in the day I went to concerts by myself (or with my dad in tow) because none of my friends were into them. But blink has a nostalgia edge to them now and a bunch of my friends and former classmates have been going to see them live (even though they haven't bought nor probably listened to any of newer albums and I wouldn't be surprised if many of them didn't know Tom wasn't going to show up). With that said, I don't think any of the casual fans I know would mind if a few 'deep cuts' were played...and I doubt they'd notice a difference or care at all. 

I've been a casual fan at shows for other bands before and have never cared if I didn't recognize a song or two. Usually it resulted in me going home and listening to them more. 

It all depends on the superfans casual fans ratio.