The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

It's actually frustrating that Tom didn't play guitar on the Mark songs. They're great songs as well. Imagine HAG with Tom's guitar as well as him trading vocals with Mark like they did live. Kaleidoscope is a top 5 blink song for me but it'd probably be better if the production of it was better and Tom played the same things as what Mark did. Fighting the Gravity would've been a bit more weird. Tom probably would've added phasers and shit like that. Would've been cool to hear and songs like MH wouldn't sound as boring with Tom on the guitar either.

• Like 4

I know there’s always been a fair assumption that Tom didn’t do much on those songs but now that we’ve got confirmation I’m genuinely curious what people’s opinions are on this, especially the people who have openly complained and criticised skiba-blink for having songs Matt has little to no involvement on. Does Tom having little to no involvement change your opinion of these songs? Do you still consider them “blink” songs if it wasn’t all three working on it? 

3 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I know there’s always been a fair assumption that Tom didn’t do much on those songs but now that we’ve got confirmation I’m genuinely curious what people’s opinions are on this, especially the people who have openly complained and criticised skiba-blink for having songs Matt has little to no involvement on. Does Tom having little to no involvement change your opinion of these songs? Do you still consider them “blink” songs if it wasn’t all three working on it? 

They were still worked on solely by members of the band, not paid writers and I think that's the difference. Sure, Tom didn't do those 4 but he did the other 10. I think there's still a big difference in the band's writing dynamic and that's not necessarily a diss, I mean, I like Nine, I think the current situation with Blink works for them. It just isn't the same.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

It's actually frustrating that Tom didn't play guitar on the Mark songs. They're great songs as well. Imagine HAG with Tom's guitar as well as him trading vocals with Mark like they did live. Kaleidoscope is a top 5 blink song for me but it'd probably be better if the production of it was better and Tom played the same things as what Mark did. Fighting the Gravity would've been a bit more weird. Tom probably would've added phasers and shit like that. Would've been cool to hear and songs like MH wouldn't sound as boring with Tom on the guitar either.

How would a song be any better if Tom played the same thing as Mark did? It would be the same lol

50 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

We kinda knew this, just from listening to them you can tell its not Tom, the tones and styles are all wrong. I love all 4 of those tracks but I see them as good Mark songs and felt like that before Tom left.

For the most part I think if Tom had worked on those songs they'd be better, the guitars on those are one of the biggest issues (especially HAG and MH) the only exception for me is Kaleidoscope. I love Toms vocals on it and I actually love the guitar on it, it's one of my fave blink songs of all time. I'm curious what Tom would've done with it, but I love it as it is. 

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Speedo said:

They were still worked on solely by members of the band, not paid writers and I think that's the difference. Sure, Tom didn't do those 4 but he did the other 10. I think there's still a big difference in the band's writing dynamic and that's not necessarily a diss, I mean, I like Nine, I think the current situation with Blink works for them. It just isn't the same.

That’s a fair answer. I see things like this though: “alarming however that matt is nowhere to be found, and it's credited as "blink-182". fans of the skiba era, what do you have to say about your perfect, functioning band?” Which was posted in the quarantine discussion thread. That doesn’t really comment on anything to do with song writers just that the three members of the band aren’t working together in the song and therefore the band isn’t functioning properly. And now the same could be said about a decent percentage of Neighbourhoods songs. Does that change anyone’s opinions of that era and those songs or that era? Are they more likely to accept Mark and Travis working on/releasing blink music without Matt being involved now?

My opinion on either hasn’t changed. I never assumed Tom had anything to do with Hearts All Gone or Mh434959 and they're still blink songs to me just like the ones without Matt are too. The main answer prob will be the song-writers the more I think about it but still thought it might be a decent discussion.

9 minutes ago, Kay said:

We kinda knew this, just from listening to them you can tell its not Tom, the tones and styles are all wrong. I love all 4 of those tracks but I see them as good Mark songs and felt like that before Tom left.

Yeah my question was more directed at the fact people aren’t bothered by songs not including Tom before but now when a song doesn’t include Matt it’s suddenly a big issue. But as speedo said it most likely just stems from there being another name in the credits who isn’t in the band which is a fair enough answer to me.

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

This. Thanks for saving me the effort 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I assumed that too, and it bothered me yes. To me that’s a sign of  band in dysfunction /disunity - come to expect it of Neighborhoods era blink. I didn’t expect it to be happening with current blink , that was my concern 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

If Mark and Travis worked on them, they are still more Blink than what is being released now. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 9:18 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

I honestly think these three could be a pretty awesome pop punk band.

Yeah this just has nothing in common with the "pop punk" I used to love. It's like they're cosplaying. BUT like I've said in other threads I had moved on from pop punk for the most part by the time this style took over in the mid 00s so I get if it's nostalgic to others.

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Even back when it was just assumed that Tom didn't play on those songs it was criticized and used as an example of how they weren't functioning properly. I still consider them "Blink" songs but I always mentally took points away from them because they were just Mark + Travis. They sound more like demos without Tom's guitar input. For example I would love Kaleidoscope so much more with a Tom guitar riff instead of the bland/weak riff that sounds more like a placeholder. Dammit Tom.

• Like 4

Just now, NotNow said:

Also mark said Matt doesn’t even have a computer which is why he isn’t really involved. He has zero set up at his home to do anything and they’ve recorded this ep entirely from home. Mark hasn’t seen Travis in person since March

You would think Matt would want to be involved. I know he's gone to Feldmans at least once.  But damn why wouldn't you just get a simple set up to continue to write. 

• Like 1

Its just not the way Skiba rolls. On that DeMakes podcast he was on, he said he simply does a very raw recording in the memos-app on his phone of his ideas with him and his guitar and then brings it to the band, (AK3) because he doesnt want to interfere with the others take on the song and already determine how the drums fx should sound like. Pretty humble mindset in my opinion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Yeah my question was more directed at the fact people aren’t bothered by songs not including Tom before but now when a song doesn’t include Matt it’s suddenly a big issue. But as speedo said it most likely just stems from there being another name in the credits who isn’t in the band which is a fair enough answer to me.

People were bothered at the time though, it was discussed by blink fans quite a bit.