The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

5 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

How would a song be any better if Tom played the same thing as Mark did? It would be the same lol

The same but the guitar tones and the playing styles would sound different. Even though they could play the exact same thing, you'd be able to tell if it was Tom or Mark playing on the tracks I think. Even before Mark mentioning what songs he played guitar on, it was obvious that Mark played on them tracks. The chorus of Natives is just power chords yet you can tell it's Tom playing those power chords whereas the songs like MH, Kaleidoscope, Heart's All Gone and Fighting the Gravity sounds like Mark playing power chords.

I don't think it would make the songs better but maybe it'd make Neighborhoods sound more cohesive.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

27 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

The same but the guitar tones and the playing styles would sound different. Even though they could play the exact same thing, you'd be able to tell if it was Tom or Mark playing on the tracks I think. Even before Mark mentioning what songs he played guitar on, it was obvious that Mark played on them tracks. The chorus of Natives is just power chords yet you can tell it's Tom playing those power chords whereas the songs like MH, Kaleidoscope, Heart's All Gone and Fighting the Gravity sounds like Mark playing power chords.

I don't think it would make the songs better but maybe it'd make Neighborhoods sound more cohesive.

Come on guys. The guitar tones aren’t any different. Bet Mark used the same guitars Tom did , same recording techniques and all that.

18 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Come on guys. The guitar tones aren’t any different. Bet Mark used the same guitars Tom did , same recording techniques and all that.

They're definitely different, I could seriously tell right away that it didn't sound like Tom. Not trying to hype myself up because I couldn't tell you specifically WHAT is different haha, but I could absolutely hear that it wasn't Tom's sound.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Champ182 said:

They're definitely different, I could seriously tell right away that it didn't sound like Tom. Not trying to hype myself up because I couldn't tell you specifically WHAT is different haha, but I could absolutely hear that it wasn't Tom's sound.

I think the guitar tones sound the same all throughout but I guess I never listened with a fine tooth comb to that album like I have for other albums 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Listen to MH right now and tell me that's Toms tone. You're out of your mind if you think he used Toms gear. For a start they recorded most of the record in completely different studios away from each other so straight away the same gear is incredibly unlikely. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

Listen to MH right now and tell me that's Toms tone. You're out of your mind if you think he used Toms gear. For a start they recorded most of the record in completely different studios away from each other so straight away the same gear is incredibly unlikely. 

I know that they were  in separate studios but it still stands to reason they’d use similar if not the same gear. Even Travis has a signature TD guitar. (And yes I’m aware Tom didn’t really record with his signatures). But yea, I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just saying I never paid attention much to that record, so I’ll give it a listen This weekend to assess again. But I believe you lol don’t be so mad 

12 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I know that they were  in separate studios but it still stands to reason they’d use similar if not the same gear. Even Travis has a signature TD guitar. (And yes I’m aware Tom didn’t really record with his signatures). But yea, I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just saying I never paid attention much to that record, so I’ll give it a listen This weekend to assess again. But I believe you lol don’t be so mad 

Mark tends to bump low ends and muddy the guitar way more than Tom and keeps a pretty 4/4 strumming pattern, where as Tom likes to hit open strings between chord transitions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Yeah, it's what Champ and Kay have been saying. I could tell those 4 songs specifically were Mark playing the guitar and on the rest of the album it's Tom. It'd be hard to tell if they would've used the same recording techniques since they weren't really together when recording the album but even if they used the same guitar tones and stuff, the playing style would still be different. Mark plays the guitar like a bassist would play the guitar. The guitar style is the same exact guitar style as the In Transit song he did.

I reckon the bass guitars for BCR would sound mad different even if Mark played the exact same notes and lines as what Tom played for that album. Different people playing guitars but the same lines, notes, riffs etc does make a difference even if using the same exact guitar and tones.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

It's Mark's weird down-picking.  He plays bass weird but you can really tell on those Neighborhoods songs....I thought everyone knew he recorded the guitar on his songs?

We did know that, any blink fan with half an ear knew that the first time listening to the songs. They’ve said that mark did guitars for a couple songs. But they’ve never said specifically which songs Mark did songs on. Fighting the gravity, MH, and hearts all gone are all obvious.

Kaleidoscope and natives are the two that people were never sure one way or the other. But according to mark, kaleidoscope is mark and natives is Tom.

I think everyone assumed the natives riff was Tom, but no one knew about the rest of the song.

1 hour ago, _Bagel said:

Relistening to Neighborhoods with some proper headphones, shit - it gets better as time goes on. It's forward-thinking, it's a great (in places) alternative rock album ( I guess that's where it fits).

There are some disjointed duds that kill the pacing and hinder the quality of the album. In spite of that, Ghost, Hearts All Gone, Natives, Kaleidoscope , Wishing Well and Even If She Falls are all fantastic songs. They're mature, have things lingering sadnes/wistfullness that kind of seeps through every bit of the album. It's a perfect album to listen to in a city at night, which I guess fits with the aestehtic and part of their concept of the title.

It fucking kills me that Tom didn't listen to the masters of the album and that he fucked up the way they recorded, which he later admitted caused disunity. It also kills me how he can shit out a song like Wishing Well ( he wrote it on the notes of his phone at a kids b day party or something, whilst Interscope were pressing for them to wrap the album up).

The whole thing really is reflective of the state of the band and their personal lives/relationships at that point. Miscommunication, frustration, regret, reflection entwined with moments of brilliance and chemistry. 

The most annoying part is the deluxe edition versus actual album thing. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, thongrider said:

The most annoying part is the deluxe edition versus actual album thing. 

Yeah - tbf I completely forgot about that - leaving off Even If She Falls and HAG interlude is criminal - then adding in Snake Charmer on the deluxe? Filling it with more duds man, strange