The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

8 hours ago, _Bagel said:

Relistening to Neighborhoods with some proper headphones, shit - it gets better as time goes on. It's forward-thinking, it's a great (in places) alternative rock album ( I guess that's where it fits).

There are some disjointed duds that kill the pacing and hinder the quality of the album. In spite of that, Ghost, Hearts All Gone, Natives, Kaleidoscope , Wishing Well and Even If She Falls are all fantastic songs. They're mature, have things lingering sadnes/wistfullness that kind of seeps through every bit of the album. It's a perfect album to listen to in a city at night, which I guess fits with the aestehtic and part of their concept of the title.

It fucking kills me that Tom didn't listen to the masters of the album and that he fucked up the way they recorded, which he later admitted caused disunity. It also kills me how he can shit out a song like Wishing Well ( he wrote it on the notes of his phone at a kids b day party or something, whilst Interscope were pressing for them to wrap the album up).

The whole thing really is reflective of the state of the band and their personal lives/relationships at that point. Miscommunication, frustration, regret, reflection entwined with moments of brilliance and chemistry. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12389001

• Love 1

I listened to Neighborhoods again yesterday too! (Although it probably was because of this discussion. Had to listen to Kaleidoscope, for instance...but Fighting the Gravity is like one of my most fave Blink songs now!)

I have already forgotten some of this (I'm still pretty new to the newer stuff), but while the first few songs are pretty great, I think it was Kaleidoscope, or around there, where I started losing some interest. Oh, actually, while I am not really a fan of the chorus of HAG, I think that is a sick track for the rest of it, And that interlude-was my first time hearing that and just loved that! I also never really liked MH 4182011 (was it?) And still don't. Sorry Mark! 

Wishing Well is great though, and Love is Dangerous. What am I missing? Oh EISF, yea that's not bad, but I prefer FTG. So, point for Mark! ;)

And then, I guess YT thinks this is the final track on Neighborhoods. Well, lol I actually liked it, but if Blink was to perform this, they'd have to brush up on their screaming and growling. Hmm...maybe Matt...or Travis!! :P

On 9/4/2020 at 6:15 AM, Speedo said:

You try to be nice ...

Oh, I almost missed this. Hey, I'm sorry. I have trust issues, ok? Plus, I was just messing with you that you wanted a card from me and were just pretending you'd give it to Mark cuz you know you like me! :P Again, I'm just being silly.  

Even if you do have a way of sending something to Mark, I still don't think he wants to be reminded of this stuff right now, and again, I really lack confidence in my card making abilities. Nothing would be good enough, IMO. Sigh! 

I recently saw Mark acknowledge the idea of blink working with Bill Stevenson in reference to someone asking on Twitch. 

I’m listening to Alk3’s My Shame Is True for the first time in years and hot damn would it be so rad to hear what Bill, Mark, Skiba and Travis could do together. Imagine 12 mature melodic goth pop punk songs, get Milo to feature on a track and you’ve got the coolest fucking album ever. Just wanted to share my stoned day dream with y’all :’)

• Like 4

On 9/4/2020 at 5:21 PM, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, it's what Champ and Kay have been saying. I could tell those 4 songs specifically were Mark playing the guitar and on the rest of the album it's Tom. It'd be hard to tell if they would've used the same recording techniques since they weren't really together when recording the album but even if they used the same guitar tones and stuff, the playing style would still be different. Mark plays the guitar like a bassist would play the guitar. The guitar style is the same exact guitar style as the In Transit song he did.

I reckon the bass guitars for BCR would sound mad different even if Mark played the exact same notes and lines as what Tom played for that album. Different people playing guitars but the same lines, notes, riffs etc does make a difference even if using the same exact guitar and tones.

Wise person told me that tone is in the fingers!

12 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

I want to know who at the record label wanted those specific songs removed. I can't wrap my head around the whole situation. I know the album kept getting delayed and maybe they were annoyed, so maybe those were the songs that got made later on?  If that's the case, good for the band because those songs improve the album

There's no telling, it's worth mentioning that interscope was cleaning house at the time so God knows what was going on behind the scenes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lindemulder said:

I think the weakest part of Neighborhoods is the bridges. To me its clear that they know that strong and interesting bridges is a part of their signaturesound, so they really wanted to continue doing that. But it just sounds so uninspring

I like the simplicity of it but I'm also pretty biased towards neighborhoods. In my head it was intentionally done that way to keep on theme with the album but I'm sure it was other reasons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

I don't get how people can love Snake Charmer but not Love is Dangerous and Fighting The Gravity

All 3 are great! The lyrics probably need to be a bit better for LID though and maybe the bridge but asides from that, it's a good song. Snake Charmer has a couple of dodgy lyrics but it's still a great song I think. I'll always love FTG.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

I don't get how people can love Snake Charmer but not Love is Dangerous and Fighting The Gravity

Yeah I love all 3. Love Is Dangerous has a lot of potential but Toms weird lyrics and vocal delivery kind of rob it from being great. Plus the synth is too much, but apart from those issues I really enjoy it. FTG is fucking brilliant but I know I'm in the minority there. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

All 3 are great! The lyrics probably need to be a bit better for LID though and maybe the bridge but asides from that, it's a good song. Snake Charmer has a couple of dodgy lyrics but it's still a great song I think. I'll always love FTG.

16 minutes ago, Kay said:

Yeah I love all 3. Love Is Dangerous has a lot of potential but Toms weird lyrics and vocal delivery kind of rob it from being great. Plus the synth is too much, but apart from those issues I really enjoy it. FTG is fucking brilliant but I know I'm in the minority there. 

Agreed agreed. I'm a bit embarrassed to blast it because the lyrics, but the song itself, the instrumental, the whole vibe is up there as a blink song.

• Like 3