The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

“Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous.“

no matter what Mark says nowadays, deep down he knows this last few years of blink are bullshit. 

• Like 5
  • Crab 2

5 minutes ago, Njdevils26 said:

“Travis and I could tour as blink-182 if we wished. We could hire a new guitarist and hit the road. It would be our right, since Tom quit. Of course we have no plans to do that. Blink-182 was the three of us. The whole thing would be very disingenuous.“

no matter what Mark says nowadays, deep down he knows this last few years of blink are bullshit. 

Not for Mark's bank account. 

• Crab 1

11 minutes ago, Njdevils26 said:

Yup for sure. I love this quote lol. 

12 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

People can’t change their opinions 10 years later after a whole bunch of new experiences? 

I don’t think Mark changed his opinion. He knows it is still disingenuous to call it blink without Tom. He just stopped caring about being disingenuous. 

• Like 6
  • Crab 1

11 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I don’t think Mark changed his opinion. He knows it is still disingenuous to call it blink without Tom. He just stopped caring about being disingenuous. 

I think it has. You gotta remember he had an extra 5 years of Tom doing his best to purposely make a joke out of blink at live shows and all the other stuff. It’s incredibly naive to assume Marks opinion on what makes blink blink wouldn’t change after all that.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I think it has. You gotta remember he had an extra 5 years of Tom doing his best to purposely make a joke out of blink at live shows and all the other stuff. It’s incredibly naive to assume Marks opinion on what makes blink blink wouldn’t change after all that.

That’s a fair point and I see what you’re saying. But at the end of the day I still stand by my comments. Blink has and always will be Tom AND Mark. And at this point, Travis. But without Mark AND Tom it will always be disingenuous to call the band blink-182, regardless of the circumstances as to why they’re in that position.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

That’s a fair point and I see what you’re saying. But at the end of the day I still stand by my comments. Blink has and always will be Tom AND Mark. And at this point, Travis. But without Mark AND Tom it will always be disingenuous to call the band blink-182, regardless of the circumstances as to why they’re in that position.

That’s fair and I respect your opinion even though i disagree with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I think you both have fair points and either one of you guys might be correct. 

For me, the kicker was +44. He tried to establish a new band without using the Blink name, and it failed (in terms of commercial success). After the 2nd breakup, rather than make a new band again or continue +44, he stuck with Blink - presumably so he could make more money. Otherwise why not just call it something different, but still have the freedom to cover Blink songs live (like +44 and AvA did)? Money. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tom Bot said:

For me, the kicker was +44. He tried to establish a new band without using the Blink name, and it failed (in terms of commercial success). After the 2nd breakup, rather than make a new band again or continue +44, he stuck with Blink - presumably so he could make more money. Otherwise why not just call it something different, but still have the freedom to cover Blink songs live (like +44 and AvA did)? Money. 

Your answer is money. Which is probably right. Which is where the disingenuous part comes into play 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

it didn't fail at all. he didn't expect to fill arenas. he wanted an indie-rock level vibe, and that's what he achieved.

Did he? I know the style of music was more indie, but Mark has always wanted to remain in the spotlight and stay relevant. Couple that with his rivalry with Tom at the time, where they were making pot shots at each other in interviews and had competing bands, and it's a bit difficult to believe that he was content with +44's popularity. If he was, why did they stop making music so quickly? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

Money is definitely a factor but i don't think it's the only one.

Mark never wanted to stop doing blink. Not the first time when Tom quit blink, he was even super upset about Tom doing boxcar without him because he thought it could just be blink. Why did Tom need another band when he had blink? When Tom quit the first time Mark did +44 for the reasons he gave in the interview but he then dropped +44 immediately when he had a chance to bring blink back (that 2nd +44 record contract was turned into a blink record contract) because blink is all he had wanted to do. Then Tom dicked him and Travis around for 5 years and Mark went along with it because he just wants to be in blink-182. Then Tom quit again and Mark decided to keep doing what he always wanted to do which was play in the band blink-182 even if that meant changing what blink-182 was. I personally respect that decision more than if he just quit doing the band he loved because Tom fucked off.

Mark lives for blink. blink-182 life for life or whatever the fuck he says. I'm sure that while he enjoys the extra money he gets with the blink name he isn't struggling to get by and definitely doesn't need that extra money. Fuck he could probably retire today and play video games on twitch for the rest of his life and never have to worry about having enough money. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Money is definitely a factor but i don't think it's the only one.

Mark never wanted to stop doing blink. Not the first time when Tom quit blink, he was even super upset about Tom doing boxcar without him because he thought it could just be blink. Why did Tom need another band when he had blink? When Tom quit the first time Mark did +44 for the reasons he gave in the interview but he then dropped +44 immediately when he had a chance to bring blink back (that 2nd +44 record contract was turned into a blink record contract) because blink is all he had wanted to do. Then Tom dicked him and Travis around for 5 years and Mark went along with it because he just wants to be in blink-182. Then Tom quit again and Mark decided to keep doing what he always wanted to do which was play in the band blink-182 even if that meant changing what blink-182 was. I personally respect that decision more than if he just quit doing the band he loved because Tom fucked off.

Mark lives for blink. blink-182 life for life or whatever the fuck he says. I'm sure that while he enjoys the extra money he gets with the blink name he isn't struggling to get by and definitely doesn't need that extra money. Fuck he could probably retire today and play video games on twitch for the rest of his life and never have to worry about having enough money. 

You make a compelling case. I’m not mad at Mark for continuing blink without Tom, I’d rather have that than nothing I guess. Not really for the new music, but to hear their classic work live with Mark and Travis. But at the end of the day, I just can’t get around the fact that it’s really just not blink without Mark and Tom. This isn’t a generic band where you can just replace members and it doesn’t matter. It can be said that most of blink’s DNA came from Tom