The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

They made Tom's guitars from 1998 into pins with the stickers too!

6j6zfp9lpgr51.jpg

https://www.upsmuck.com/product/td-red/

https://www.upsmuck.com/product/td-lp-black/

those are fun. two things: a.) they are using one of my tom pictures on the billabong page. b.) their website is a piece of shit. there is a facebook messenger chat bot anchored to the lower right which won't go away no matter how many times you close it. and it blocks part of the page, even when you scroll.

18 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i don't know about from enema on, but we certainly thought of them only, and ever, as co-frontmen.

I'd say they were always pretty equivalent until Boxcar racer permanently fucked Mark's psyche with blink and Tom urged the band to different sounds on Untitled and then whatever you want to call Neighborhoods

5 hours ago, Gaslit Jan said:

I'd say they were always pretty equivalent until Boxcar racer permanently fucked Mark's psyche with blink and Tom urged the band to different sounds on Untitled and then whatever you want to call Neighborhoods

Tom was pushed to look like more of a front man from a marketing perspective with enema and onwards, I feel. He was the "attractive" one they banked on more, but it didn't make a difference artistically until BCR and onwards. 

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

5 hours ago, Kay said:

Tom was pushed to look like more of a front man from a marketing perspective with enema and onwards, I feel. He was the "attractive" one they banked on more, but it didn't make a difference artistically until BCR and onwards. 

Oh that's interesting, I didn't get the sense that Tom was being pushed forward until Untitled. Even just thinking about singles they had in Enema/TOYPAJ it comes out pretty even, but with Mark having the lead single both times (unless I'm remembering wrong haha):

WMAA - Mark
ATST - Tom
Adam's Song - Mark

Rock Show - Mark
First Date - Tom
STFTK - Both

17 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Oh that's interesting, I didn't get the sense that Tom was being pushed forward until Untitled. Even just thinking about singles they had in Enema/TOYPAJ it comes out pretty even, but with Mark having the lead single both times (unless I'm remembering wrong haha):

WMAA - Mark
ATST - Tom
Adam's Song - Mark

Rock Show - Mark
First Date - Tom
STFTK - Both

I don't mean release wise so much (the albums are split evenly until Untitled as well) I meant more like press coverage and posters and teen magazines and all that crap. I was the right age at that time and I remember a hell of a lot of Tom stuff that pushed him as some kind of sex symbol for the tweens, way more so than Mark. So Tom as the lead / frontman in a media sense. 

4 hours ago, Kay said:

I don't mean release wise so much (the albums are split evenly until Untitled as well) I meant more like press coverage and posters and teen magazines and all that crap. I was the right age at that time and I remember a hell of a lot of Tom stuff that pushed him as some kind of sex symbol for the tweens, way more so than Mark. So Tom as the lead / frontman in a media sense. 

Oh yeah I got what you meant, I just figured singles/music videos would be in that realm too. You could definitely be right about posters/magazines, I don't remember seeing many that weren't the 3 of them on equal ground kinda Beastie Boys style but it's been a long time since those days :( haha

11 hours ago, Kay said:

I don’t agree with this at all. They were always co-frontmen to me, and I found out about them with WMAA. I also always thought Mark was the better looking one. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I don’t agree with this at all. They were always co-frontmen to me, and I found out about them with WMAA. I also always thought Mark was the better looking one. 

Read my later post, I didn't mean he *was* the lead, but he was marketed that way as a tweeny pretty boy more than the others were. 

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Read my later post, I didn't mean he *was* the lead, but he was marketed that way as a tweeny pretty boy more than the others were. 

But how so? They seemed to always both be in the forefront and marketed together. What pictures or marketing products are you referring to where Tom was ever placed out in front of Mark, with more visibility than Mark, or any different than Mark?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

But how so? They seemed to always both be in the forefront and marketed together. What pictures or marketing products are you referring to where Tom was ever placed out in front of Mark, with more visibility than Mark, or any different than Mark?

I'm talking about 1999 - 2001ish so I don't exactly have examples to hand, but I mean more the stuff aimed at kids and young girls, like pre teen magazines and the like. 

6 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Yea, but Tom and Mark were represented equally 

You read a lot of pre teen magazines in the early 2000s? I'm not making this up, I literally read them. I was 10 lol Sugar in the UK had fuckin' stickers of Tom with hot pink backgrounds and shit.