The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

47 minutes ago, Kay said:

FOB are bigger than all of them at this point. They do suck but they're reach is kinda terrifying. 

You’re probably right. I’m so out of touch with popular music, and I don’t really know anyone that’s into Fall Out Boy, or at least their current music. I’m also an old man so what do I know lol

• Haha 2

FOB are a very interesting band -- they fall in the same grouping in my mind as bands like aerosmith, which have been around an absurdly long time and never had a lineup change, despite a drastic change in style. the hate for them is something i've never totally understood. TTTYG is an all-timer pop punk album, alongside FUTCT. later stuff like mania is pretty tragic, admittedly, and the transparent attempt to remain relevant through jock jams (my songs, centuries) is unfortunate.

but they're WAY over-hated. stump is a great guy and powerhouse vocalist, and the rest of the band holds their weight, save for wentz, who is kind of a love-him-or-hate-him guy

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, boxelder said:

FOB are a very interesting band -- they fall in the same grouping in my mind as bands like aerosmith, which have been around an absurdly long time and never had a lineup change, despite a drastic change in style. the hate for them is something i've never totally understood. TTTYG is an all-timer pop punk album, alongside FUTCT. later stuff like mania is pretty tragic, admittedly, and the transparent attempt to remain relevant through jock jams (my songs, centuries) is unfortunate.

but they're WAY over-hated. stump is a great guy and powerhouse vocalist, and the rest of the band holds their weight, save for wentz, who is kind of a love-him-or-hate-him guy

They deserve all the hate. Fuck them

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Sorry but Weezer is probably bigger than blink these days. It’s not like a true blink-182 exists either. I think Weezer was the better choice for that tour. FOB was the worst choice, as they have sucked balls since day 1.

Blink still has a bigger nostalgic factor within pop punk than Weezer ever did. And that seems to be the realm of this tour had Weezer not been invited. As much as I’m not a fan of California, it outsold even Revolution Radio (released the same year) going gold, and had a single that went gold, which is a pretty big deal for a band of a dead genre (in terms of current trends).

in the last 15 years, the most relevant thing Weezer has done was a cover of a god awful song.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

And fuck their stupid ass long song titles and everyone who thought they were ever clever for them.

Those were lame, but they had a small early stretch where they were at least interesting.  Stuff like Dance Dance was at least something new-ish and good for what it was (not my favorite).

Their recent resurgance and sell out years are absolutely awful though. Centuries is the worst song in existence.

24 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

And fuck their stupid ass long song titles and everyone who thought they were ever clever for them.

That didn't start with FOB, emo was doing that before they did. 

I don't hate all of FOB, Infinity On High is probably their last semi tolerable release to me. I've never been a big fan, and Stumps voice is mostly irritating but I am not FOB = The Devil. I haven't liked anything since IOH though, it all sounds obnoxious now. 

Objectively though, the popularity of Cork Tree and IOH alone cemented their place in pop punk under only Green Day and Blink. If you’d take a survey of the biggest bands in the genre, you’d most likely get those three. Hence why it would make the most sense to have those three as the headliners. And why it’s shocking blink got shunned like village whores despite proposing a very similar tour two years ago

I’m not a fan of FOB, and don’t quite “get” their appeal, but it’s one of those things where it just is what it is.

Mark was probably marketed as the cutest blink member in 1999, but all the girls had a crush on Tom according to 1) me and some of my friends, even though our crush was very mild 2) what I used to see online and 3) those messages that you sent in to TRL and they were played during the videos. Whenever there was a blink video on TRL, all the comments were always about Tom (at least in my country).

Nails on a chalkboard: Patrick Stump's voice. The thing I appreciate about FOB though is the subtle hardcore influence on Take This To Your Grave because they took enough influence from hardcore bands and melodic hardcore bands from the 90s and that's always a good thing to me. But that's it.

11 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Mark was probably marketed as the cutest blink member in 1999, but all the girls had a crush on Tom according to 1) me and some of my friends, even though our crush was very mild 2) what I used to see online and 3) those messages that you sent in to TRL and they were played during the videos. Whenever there was a blink video on TRL, all the comments were always about Tom (at least in my country).

Nails on a chalkboard: Patrick Stump's voice. The thing I appreciate about FOB though is the subtle hardcore influence on Take This To Your Grave because they took enough influence from hardcore bands and melodic hardcore bands from the 90s and that's always a good thing to me. But that's it.

The Internet fucking loved Tom back then. Live journal was fucking full of fangirling Tom shit. It was crazy. 

12 minutes ago, Kay said:

The Internet fucking loved Tom back then. Live journal was fucking full of fangirling Tom shit. It was crazy. 

I remember that, it was unreal. I think the fact that everyone used to be in love with Tom just caved into revisioned history when he started going cuckoo in 2006, but girls were really crazy about him at the time - and that's how I realised my crush didn't mean anything. I liked him, but it was just because I looked up to him and thought he was the shit and he was so punk rock, with his voice, his riffs, his style and everything. I wasn't really in love like the girls online or on TRL haha

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

FOB is a band that all my friends with similar music tastes as me loved and I just could never get into them. Not a fan.

Their first album had 3 good songs ... notice I said good and not great. I can't remember the name of the songs because they're only good.