The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

On 11/20/2020 at 9:24 AM, Emil said:

I had completely forgotten about this performancet's like Big Day Out but on speed, out of a 80 minute set I'd say about half of it is music and the other half consists of them being idiots.

Pretty entertaining!

that's the casbah, a classic 21-up alt rock club in san diego. i've seen everyone from the dismemberment plan to unwritten law there.

edit: i just watched the vid. terrible performance. is this a nostalgic clip for some of you folks, as @boxelder mentions?

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

that's the casbah, a classic 21-up alt rock club in san diego. i've seen everyone from the dismemberment plan to unwritten law there.

edit: i just watched the vid. terrible performance. is this a nostalgic clip for some of you folks, as @boxelder mentions?

i think it was one of those full blink shows on early youtube, back when i first got into the band in '09 or so. just found it so funny. not as great as big day out, surely, but both are classic examples of how sloppy and stupid this band was, in an endearing way

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

Yeah, I got into the band in 2005-2006 and I believe this and Big Day Out were my first encounter with the stage banter and I thought they were hilarious and cool. I was 14 in 2006 and 14 years later I no longer think they were the greatest comedians or coolest people but it's fun to watch this with nostalgia glasses.

Around the same time in  2006 I also found this video and it made me question if it was the same guy in both clips:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Emil said:

Yeah, I got into the band in 2005-2006 and I believe this and Big Day Out were my first encounter with the stage banter and I thought they were hilarious and cool. I was 14 in 2006 and 14 years later I no longer think they were the greatest comedians or coolest people but it's fun to watch this with nostalgia glasses.

Around the same time in  2006 I also found this video and it made me question if it was the same guy in both clips:

That clip has always been so weird to me.. it sounds like shit but still I connect deeply with it emotionally

On 11/21/2020 at 10:23 PM, daveyjones said:

just watched the vid. terrible performance. is this a nostalgic clip for some of you folks, as @boxelder mentions?

I think it's a more well known bootleg than others since it's during the Enema era and the entire show is on video, it's always been easy to download or view over the years. 

Do you prefer the shorter setlists of the older shows or is it just the newer songs you don't like? I personally think Mark and Tom sometimes get too tired and sloppy with shows over an hour. 

1 hour ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

I think it's a more well known bootleg than others since it's during the Enema era and the entire show is on video, it's always been easy to download or view over the years. 

Do you prefer the shorter setlists of the older shows or is it just the newer songs you don't like? I personally think Mark and Tom sometimes get too tired and sloppy with shows over an hour.

it's tough to say. i think this particular show at the kasbah is an objectively bad performance, though it is a nice novelty to have a record of. if i had a magic wand, i'd wish for a blink that was more like bad religion live. about an hour and a half, diverse set offerings, many deep cuts, constantly inventing themselves.

though i grew up with them and i love them, it's a fair statement that blink are lazy and unimaginative live. they were like that in 1999, they were like that in 2004, they were like that in 2010, they were like that in 2016, and they are like that now.

On 11/22/2020 at 7:24 AM, Champ182 said:

Hmm is this the most dead period of this site in years or does it just seem like it? Nothing going on in Blink-land (understandably) but in past down periods we at least had Oliver here to stir up some controversies. Anybody know what he's up to lately?

I pop in as much as I can but even I'm thinking of checking out the other forums on the site. It's just hard to care about blink these days. There's so many other amazing bands that need our support. And, yknow, the pandemic. It's put a lot of shit into perspective and worrying about a bunch of rich, feuding 50-year olds in a 90's band seems petty these days.

I enjoyed Nine for what it is but i'm definitely not even remotely excited for the next blink record or EP or quarantine song or guest vocal or whatever the hell Mark and Travis are doing with the band these days. Will I check it out? Sure. But blink truly wowing me across an entire record is long over.

I don't even think Tom coming back would get me pumped like it did back in 2009 because it'll be the original reunion 2.0, only now Tom will have a low-budget movie to sell rather than modlife.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this has been discussed yet, but Mark recently confirmed that blink asked Green Day to do a Pop Disaster 2, and Green Day declined. Not surprised at all that GD didn’t want to do this with the current lineup. Funny that blink thought to even ask, IMO. 

https://www.altpress.com/news/blink-182-green-day-pop-disaster-2-tour/

4 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I don’t know if this has been discussed yet, but Mark recently confirmed that blink asked Green Day to do a Pop Disaster 2, and Green Day declined. Not surprised at all that GD didn’t want to do this with the current lineup. Funny that blink thought to even ask, IMO. 

Green Day wouldn't want to do it even if it was the old line up. They hated Blink and the last Pop Disaster tour.

4 minutes ago, Hail Satan said:

Green Day wouldn't want to do it even if it was the old line up. They hated Blink and the last Pop Disaster tour.

Yea, I know. But especially given how much blink fell off, they don't even seem like blink...it makes sense. Now to play devil's advocate, GD did agree to do that tour with Fall Out Boy before Covid happened, which is strange. FOB is and has always been way more lame than blink, and they basically turned into an electronic band..but yet GD likes them? Seems weird. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Yea, I know. But especially given how much blink fell off, they don't even seem like blink...it makes sense. Now to play devil's advocate, GD did agree to do that tour with Fall Out Boy before Covid happened, which is strange. FOB is and has always been way more lame than blink, and they basically turned into an electronic band..but yet GD likes them? Seems weird. 

Green Day fell off as hard if not harder than blink. Green Day most likely wanted to be top dogs on this new tour so they picked bands that allowed them to be that. With blink it would’ve been co-headline again.

• Like 4

Yeah I posted about it a while back because he talked about it on his Discord but it didn't have a lengthly discussion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Green Day fell off as hard if not harder than blink. Green Day most likely wanted to be top dogs on this new tour so they picked bands that allowed them to be that. With blink it would’ve been co-headline again.

Oh please, you’re letting your love of blink blind you. Green Day has been bigger than blink for all years except 1999-2003. No way in hell it would be co-headline.

• Like 1

Just now, Diddy Faplord said:

Oh please, you’re letting your love of blink blind you. Green Day has been bigger than blink for all years except 1999-2003. No way in hell it would be co-headline.

Dude for all of the shit California and Nine get, you can't tell me Green Day is even in the same realm anymore with the absolute piles of garbage they've put out since American Idiot.

• Like 2
  • Crab 1

13 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Dude for all of the shit California and Nine get, you can't tell me Green Day is even in the same realm anymore with the absolute piles of garbage they've put out since American Idiot.

Based on commercial sales, yes I sure can. When do you see blink on commercials or hear them on the radio? I know I’ve seen Green Day promoted a hell of a lot more. I love blink a billion times more than I care for Green Day, but some of you are allowing that love for blink to skew your opinions 

1 hour ago, Diddy Faplord said:

After Green Day released the trilogy of flops they fell off hard and nothing they’ve released since then has brought them back.

Green Day has been bigger than blink for all years except 1999-2003.

yup

2 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

you can't tell me Green Day is even in the same realm anymore with the absolute piles of garbage they've put out since American Idiot.

this is also true. however, a band's heights are never erased by their lows. peak green day was way bigger than peak blink. and green day's lowest of lows are not nearly as terrible as NINE.

10 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

After Green Day released the trilogy of flops they fell off hard and nothing they’ve released since then has brought them back.

true. but see above. ^^^^

River Cuomo is putting all of his demos from every weezer album in Dropbox folders and selling them on his site for 9 bucks each. The first one for everything will be alright in the end (considered the holy grail for weezer fans because of how many known unreleased songs there are) has over 500 files just for that album alone. Around 30-50 unreleased songs that are essentially complete songs that are good quality just not really mixed / maybe finally tracked. Many songs have 20+ versions and you can see how the song progressed through writing. People have wanted to hear these songs for over five years and he just randomly dropped them in a drop box folder over the weekend with no warning. He’s doing every album now and has his own discord like website he interacts with fans on he wrote himself. 

I wish blink would do something like this or even had unreleased songs worth throwing out there...

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1