The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

38 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

yup

this is also true. however, a band's heights are never erased by their lows. peak green day was way bigger than peak blink. and green day's lowest of lows are not nearly as terrible as NINE.

true. but see above. ^^^^

Peak green day was bigger then blink sure but that doesn’t mean they still are. Green day released a new album earlier this year and it was such a non event I barely saw any articles promoting or talking about it on the music news sites I follow.

And opinions are like assholes Davey. We’ve all got them. Nothing green day has released since 21CB has come close to Nine IMO.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Peak green day was bigger then blink sure but that doesn’t mean they still are. Green day released a new album earlier this year and it was such a non event I barely saw any articles promoting or talking about it on the music news sites I follow.

And opinions are like assholes saved. We’ve all got them. Nothing green day has released since 21CB has come close to Nine IMO.

I’m not talking about what music you think is better. I saw ads for Green Day on tv, never saw anything for NINE. Your opinion on the music is not what is up for debate 

17 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I’m not talking about what music you think is better. I saw ads for Green Day on tv, never saw anything for NINE. Your opinion on the music is not what is up for debate 

That wasn’t even my response to you lol. I was responding to Davey stating his opinion with my own whilst saying that everybody has opinions meaning they have no relevance in this discussion lol.  You’re arguing with me agreeing with you lol.

Green Day’s label paying for ad space doesn’t mean they are a bigger band or more relevant. If anything it would mean the opposite. Can’t sell on its own.

It's true in recent years that blink are probably more commercially successful than Green Day when it comes to album sales. Green Day fell off hard in that regard, whereas blink still pull off solid numbers.

Blink however aren't even on Green Day's level when it comes to touring though. I'm sure Green Day have played at the Wembley Stadium in the UK. They can play stadiums unlike blink. They're one of those bands that don't have to release anything ever again and they'll always be able to sell out tours.

Green Day are the bigger band and there's no doubt about it IMO. Like Diddy says, the only time blink were bigger was 1999-2003.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

That wasn’t even my response to you lol. I was responding to Davey stating his opinion with my own whilst saying that everybody has opinions meaning they have no relevance in this discussion lol.  You’re arguing with me agreeing with you lol.

Green Day’s label paying for ad space doesn’t mean they are a bigger band or more relevant. If anything it would mean the opposite. Can’t sell on its own.

I don’t see how you ever agreed with me? And the fact they’re having paid ads on tv does pretty much show they’re bigger. If blink had the funds and backing to do so, they certainly would have. Blink is looked at as a joke to most outsiders, and Green Day is not. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I don’t see how you ever agreed with me? And the fact they’re having paid ads on tv does pretty much show they’re bigger. If blink had the funds and backing to do so, they certainly would have. Blink is looked at as a joke to most outsiders, and Green Day is not. 

Because we both say opinions don’t mean shit in this discussion.  Come on mate.

All that means is the label was willing to spend the money. It doesn’t necessarily correlate to whose bigger.

Lets look at the two albums released in 2016. Revolution Radio and California. According to this https://greenday.fm/charts/album-sales/ Revolution Radio has sold in the US total as of today 230K whereas California according to https://web.archive.org/web/20170113171233/http://www.buzzanglemusic.com/wp-content/uploads/BuzzAngle-Music-2016-U.S.-Report.pdf sold 408K by December 2016 alone, this was before the Deluxe was released as well so those extra sales aren’t counted. Two albums. Same year. One sold a lot more.

Now obviously you have to take into account it being the first album since Tom left which boosted sales. But it’s exactly that internal drama in blink that keeps people interested and their name out there. Green Day has been the same three dudes releasing uneventful music since 2004.

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

And opinions are like assholes Davey. We’ve all got them. Nothing green day has released since 21CB has come close to Nine IMO.

of course, i'm stating my opinion. i would hope, on a forum dedicated to a musical group's fandom, this goes without saying.

more clearly stated: it's objective that peak green day was bigger than peak blink (both in terms of sales and media exposure). it's subjective that shitty, bottom rung green day is better than shitty, bottom rung blink. that's my own opinion. even though current green day (well, to be honest, green day since 1996) does nothing for me, i think NINE is absolutely terrible. i've granted it all of three spins since it was released.

yet i did buy it on disc. because completists are masochists.

11 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Yea, I know. But especially given how much blink fell off, they don't even seem like blink...it makes sense. Now to play devil's advocate, GD did agree to do that tour with Fall Out Boy before Covid happened, which is strange. FOB is and has always been way more lame than blink, and they basically turned into an electronic band..but yet GD likes them? Seems weird. 

I was going to say yes that's very weird til I remembered that's the tour with Weezer included as well and it's in bigger venues than normal concerts. It seems to be mostly baseball stadiums, so the capacity has tens of thousands of extra people. 

9 hours ago, NotNow said:

River Cuomo is putting all of his demos from every weezer album in Dropbox folders and selling them on his site for 9 bucks each. The first one for everything will be alright in the end (considered the holy grail for weezer fans because of how many known unreleased songs there are) has over 500 files just for that album alone. Around 30-50 unreleased songs that are essentially complete songs that are good quality just not really mixed / maybe finally tracked. Many songs have 20+ versions and you can see how the song progressed through writing. People have wanted to hear these songs for over five years and he just randomly dropped them in a drop box folder over the weekend with no warning. He’s doing every album now and has his own discord like website he interacts with fans on he wrote himself. 

I wish blink would do something like this or even had unreleased songs worth throwing out there...

I'm not a Weezer fan but that's incredible! 

• Like 1

Weirdly 2002 was when Green Day had an actual flop (Warning was considered a flop in that it didn't even go platinum, it probably has now?) and had a lot to gain with the tour versus blink who may have been at their peak. I think Green Day literally only agreed to Pop Disaster with Blink to convert younger fans that maybe somehow hadn't heard of them and to show Blink fans how much better a live band they were. It seems more logical when you consider Green Day never being friendly to blink afterward as they've never said anything nice about them (from what I can recall). It seemed like a great tour idea and I think Blink still dominated in terms of fans and going on last every night. Maybe that never, ever sat right with them? In some ways I get it, Blink is like your little brother's band to a band that is already your little brother's band. But I also get the vibe they just didn't understand why Blink was special and actually gave them run for their money. I was always Blink > Green Day during Blink's heyday and I still am.

I kind of wish GD would address it more because Blink were open fans of theirs and seemed to be talented enough to compete for the mantle of most popular Pop Punk band ever. Outside of that, there are no other threats and it makes Green Day look insecure to be this way. Maybeeee BJA is a minor fan or something, but Tre Cool was pretty upfront in not respecting them. I would think after all it was said and done, both bands can appreciate what the other did. In fact, I think Green Day being shitty to them gave them the hunger to make Untitled

• Like 3

i think people have always read way too much into it. aside from tre cool, who nobody likes, i'm sure they're all fine. i'm not sure what anybody wants or expects to happen. both bands suck now so they're even. 

that tour was massive for green day, though. it absolutely introduced them to younger blink fans, such as my nine year old self at the time. i had never heard of them prior to that show and listened to them the entire summer after it.

• Like 1

Yeah it's interesting to think about. In retrospect Green Day played that out perfectly. Warning got a lukewarm response, they were definitely seen as kinda dropping out of the limelight, so they co-headline with Blink who were stealing their thunder a little bit, positioned themselves as A Real Rock Band Who Put On A Big Rock Show in comparison to Blink's sloppy goofy antics, and gained a ton of younger fans just in time to release what would become their gigantic comeback album a couple years later. American Idiot might not have had such a fucking massive impact if it weren't for those new fans they gained during that tour.

All that being said, I still prefer Blink and I probably would have enjoyed their set more if I got to see that tour. But props to Green Day for a legit (and possibly cynical) career move.

As someone who loved both bands at the time I went and saw the Pop Disaster, Green Day really did blow the doors off the venue as far as their performance.  They were great.  But even then, I wasn't there to see them, and left the show loving blink even more. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

The only thing that would happen if blink (with or without Tom for that matter) would do a tour with Green Day today is that it would highlight how bad and stale blink is live these days.

Green Day sound great live because they go out of their way to accomplish that goal. They include multiple extra musicians, so a 3 man punk group becomes double that amount. Their act is just as stale as blink, playing slow album speed, calling people motherfuckers, and wayyyy ohhhhh heyyyy ohhhhh makes me wanna shout! Wayy oooOOOooo ah ohhh.

Would Green Day insult NOFX the way they did blink? Because blink basically did the NOFX thing for years, playing sloppy by design. They aren't trying to be the Beatles, half the songs are joke sex songs. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that Weezer should close over Green Day on the next tour, they are more relevant!

Edited by Feeling_This_1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Green Day sound great live because they go out of their way to accomplish that goal. They include multiple extra musicians, so a 3 man punk group becomes double that amount. Their act is just as stale as blink, playing slow album speed, calling people motherfuckers, and wayyyy ohhhhh heyyyy ohhhhh makes me wanna shout! Wayy oooOOOooo ah ohhh.

Would Green Day insult NOFX the way they did blink? Because blink basically did the NOFX thing for years, playing sloppy by design. They aren't trying to be the Beatles, half the songs are joke sex songs. 

How many head injuries have you sustained?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1