The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

33 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

i swear either tom or mark have mentioned being friends with mike dirnt in recent years 

I believe it was Tom and they became closer - or were already close, I don't know - through Macbeth because Mike designed some shoes at some point and they were released by Macbeth. And a few months ago I saw on Reddit that Mike gave Travis one of his basses as a gift. I think it's fair to assume that Mike is friends with all of them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hail Satan said:

Mark could definitely play it.

i think it's less about skill than creativity and ambition. mark could learn to play a part like that, but he's too lazy to. and he'd certainly never think to write a part like that.

as much as i love my old school blink, it's not very controversial to mention that they're pretty unimaginative songwriters, and have mostly almost have been.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i think it's less about skill than creativity and ambition. mark could learn to play a part like that, but he's too lazy to. and he'd certainly never think to write a part like that.

as much as i love my old school blink, it's not very controversial to mention that they're pretty unimaginative songwriters, and have mostly almost have been.

Agreed.

Gotta say I dont get all the all the hate towards Green Day here. American Idiot is an amazing album, and while they haven't released anything near as good since then, I actually enjoyed Father of All..  The shows and the the endless "wohoo" is a drag but it is what it is. Muscially its still solid anyway. I think Armstrong has had his ups and downs but he has as much of an ego as Delonge. In recent years I really, really like Ordinary World

• Like 1

I like GD, they're the superior live band as well. I don't mind The Who-ohs at the live show, it's a rock show, they're supposed to be there imo. Billy is a great frontman.

My favorite album is 21CB. I could get one good album out of the trilogy. Couldn't get in to the last two albums that much though, but that's probably more due to myself rather than them not being able to produce good rock material. 

I get the hate about Tre Cool and the stage antics of Billie Joe screaming to the crowd. I don't know what's more annoying. The woahs of California or Billie Joe and his stage antics of screaming to the crowd whenever he isn't singing.

But Green Day are just a better live band even before they had touring musicians to back them, they were 10 times better. They're also a bigger band even though blink's recent work is more commercially successful. Blink will just never be able to headline stadiums. Maybe in 2005 like someone has already said if they hadn't had broken up, but now they won't even come close.

American Idiot and Dookie are also HUGE. Enema was huge as well but even that hasn't even come close to the sales of those two Green Day albums. Unless you're a blink-182 fan or just a lover of pop punk music, then most of the world probably only recognises about 3 blink songs. 4-5 songs at a stretch. Green Day have nearly a whole albums worth of songs that are recognisable to the general public.

Blink have always written way better music though IMO, so I'll always prefer blink unless it's California. That album is a complete shit stain on blink's legacy. Revolution Radio was just a better album even if it didn't sell as much. Nine blows Green Day's recent work out of the water though. Best blink album since 2003 and it's better than anything Green Day have done since American Idiot, although I think 21st Century Breakdown would've been better than Nine if it never had about 8 songs of shite filler.

Green day Dookie-21CB is an amazing band, love 95% of the songs from that time. After that i can barely name a song I like.

54 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

I don't mind The Who-ohs at the live show, it's a rock show, they're supposed to be there imo. Billy is a great frontman.

It’s good when it’s done right. BJA over does it. Last show I was at we heard like 6-7 songs in the first hour. It killed it. Just play some music. Do the who-ohs a bit yeah but dont forget you’re there to play songs.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Green day Dookie-21CB is an amazing band, love 95% of the songs from that time. After that i can barely name a song I like.

It’s good when it’s done right. BJA over does it. Last show I was at we heard like 6-7 songs in the first hour. It killed it. Just play some music. Do the who-ohs a bit yeah but dont forget you’re there to play songs.

I can get where you coming from!

• Love 1

Based on the little we saw of them in Riding In Vans With Boys, they seemed like pleasant acquaintances who were mostly just off doing their own thing rather than hanging out and partying with Blink and/or Kut U Up. I think maybe they figured at the time that Blink were kinda annoying little brothers and were a bit mystified that they were equally popular and successful. But other than Tre's comments around that time, I don't think I've ever seen any reason to think the other two have any animosity.

On 11/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, twentytwenty said:

My favorite album is 21CB.

This is interesting. 

This album made me stop paying attention to them as a band, seemed like a C-rate album full of songs that didn't make American Idiot.

Nimrod is probably my fav album of theirs for context.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

This is interesting. 

This album made me stop paying attention to them as a band, seemed like a C-rate album full of songs that didn't make American Idiot.

Nimrod is probably my fav album of theirs for context.

Nimrod is great, one of, if not their best. 21CB had some great songs and I still listen to it but it is more or less a subpar A.I.