The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

35 minutes ago, Yang Gun Kelly said:

There's just no planet where California > Neighborhoods, sorry.

it's important to remember that there's also a decade worth of memories that comes with Neighbourhoods, and that's why it means more to people, but it's generally loved by all fans anyway and we know it. 

California might have been more successful, but there is no way Nine and Cali are better albums than Neighbourhoods. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

NH has not aged particularly well to me, though I have a soft spot for it given the memories of my favorite band being back. 

That power of association is a special aspect of music that can make things unfair at times. For an artist, it's unfair that you can never recreate something that appeals to a fan in the exact same way, just in a different way.

For the fans, an album can evoke long-lost decade-old memories of some particular moments in their lives and it will be forever tied to those memories. Neighbourhoods reminds me of very specific late summer (mid September) driving to the beach every morning and staying out all day, waiting for a fall term in university to begin. I think the album has aged well for me, but I think it was probably a couple of years ago when I realised how much those subjective feelings inform how I feel about Neighbourhoods as a whole. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elisa said:

it's important to remember that there's also a decade worth of memories that comes with Neighbourhoods, and that's why it means more to people, but it's generally loved by all fans anyway and we know it. 

California might have been more successful, but there is no way Nine and Cali are better albums than Neighbourhoods. 

Maybe not better, but equal good in different ways. 

I love NINE. So good.

3 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Neighborhoods was worse than the +44 and Ava albums released during the hiatus years. They used up all their best ideas. Tom continued this by hoarding his best ideas for the 2 LOVE albums while simultaneously trying to finish the blink album.

Most things are worse than the +44 album

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Neighborhoods was worse than the +44 and Ava albums released during the hiatus years. They used up all their best ideas. Tom continued this by hoarding his best ideas for the 2 LOVE albums while simultaneously trying to finish the blink album.

Yeah I agree that the two love albums were amazing 

• Haha 1
  • Crab 1

17 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

NH has not aged particularly well to me, though I have a soft spot for it given the memories of my favorite band being back. 

That being said, I’ll take Cali/NINE over it all day. 

I’ll always have that soft spot for NH. There will never be hype like that for a blink album again. And I still love it for what it is... But I can’t help but imagine a California style album with Tom on board. Fingers crossed it can still happen someday.

Tom back in blink releasing fun, non try-hard music again. I want to hear it

I think Neighborhoods was a good stepping stone towards something great. I think the direction Dogs Eating Dogs took was even more exciting. I couldn't wait to hear the music they were gonna make after listening to that EP. Sadly, that momentum was killed and whatever direction they would have gone with Tom was completely abandoned with California.

I am really happy with NINE though. I'm glad that we're guaranteed to be getting at least one more album with Matt. Ultimately I want Tom back, but I do want more Matt first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

I’ll always have that soft spot for NH. There will never be hype like that for a blink album again. And I still love it for what it is... But I can’t help but imagine a California style album with Tom on board. Fingers crossed it can still happen someday.

Tom back in blink releasing fun, non try-hard music again. I want to hear it

Unfortunately we say this, but this could easily just turn out to be circle jerk pit and golden showers.

I can never see them all being on the same page before they are wayy too old and releasing music at ease again. 

It would be fun in theory though.  We all know there would be at least 1-2 songs that would take us back, and make it all worth it.

• Like 1