The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

50 minutes ago, Jans Yang Wagon said:

Wow you guys are so sick, never had any funny teenage insecurities when you were in middle school and high school! So you were one of the early neckbeard crew, congrats.

No one said that, Fonzarelli.

Say what you want about new Blink, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I just can't see an argument where California/Deluxe are in the same stratosphere, production-wise, as the Jerry Finn albums. Those albums sound so shallow and lack the depth/layers of a Jerry Finn album, where you can listen to songs 100 times and still notice new things. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

I don't buy the legacy argument, Green Day has put out garbage since Nimrod IMO and it doesn't change my mind on their older material or legacy at all. 15 crappy Jason movies aren't moving the needle on my thoughts of Friday the 13th. Coca-Cola trying a new flavor isn't ruining their classic drink. You get the point, what's great is great and stays that way. There is nothing to lose, and everything to gain. 

exactly!

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

By saying this you do confirm that you think that anyone that doesn’t share your views are in the wrong and “in denial”.

Why is it that you don’t think that everyone has the right to their own opinion?

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Jan thinks her opinion is the only one that matters and if she doesn’t like it then it’s bad and everybody that likes it is wrong and lies about liking it.

It’s just Jan’s misguided ego.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom Bot said:

Say what you want about new Blink, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I just can't see an argument where California/Deluxe are in the same stratosphere, production-wise, as the Jerry Finn albums. Those albums sound so shallow and lack the depth/layers of a Jerry Finn album, where you can listen to songs 100 times and still notice new things. 

Not even close. Toypaj isn’t 100% perfect but Enema, Boxcar and untitled pretty much are production wise.

• Like 1

While I love arguing with Jan, I totally get where he's coming from. 

I'd say the legacy ruining thing is more that it colours your perspective of their earlier work because you know where and how they ended up. It's like finding out santa isn't real again. Christmas is still Christmas, but there's less magic. 

Also, loads of teenagers lie about what music they like to fit in. I also used to hide my love of blink because people made fun of them. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kay said:

I'd say the legacy ruining thing is more that it colours your perspective of their earlier work because you know where and how they ended up. It's like finding out santa isn't real again. Christmas is still Christmas, but there's less magic. 

So for example do you get the urge to listen to Enema and just as you’re about to put it on you remember they recorded California and suddenly you lose that urge? Or is it that Enema just isn’t that good of a record anymore in hindsight because they eventually recorded California? Both don’t really make sense to me. Enema and California are separate so the quality of one doesn’t change the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

So for example do you get the urge to listen to Enema and just as you’re about to put it on you remember they recorded California and suddenly you lose that urge? Or is it that Enema just isn’t that good of a record anymore in hindsight because they eventually recorded California? Both don’t really make sense to me. Enema and California are separate so the quality of one doesn’t change the other.

No it hasn't ruined my perspective of the music, although listening to DED does make me gutted we didn't get to see what would've happened if Tom had actually gotten his way with the idea of them writing in a house together again. 

It's not that the songs become worse, but there's like an asterix on the feelings you have listening to it. that's how it is for me. The music itself isn't ruined, but my perspective of my favourite band since is a kid is definitely tarnished and I think that's what the legacy argument is about. 

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

If anything, if a new thing is bad it makes me appreciate the old thing even more.

In fact that has even happened to me with blink. I don't think California is *bad* but I do think it's worse than what came before, and it made me appreciate Neighborhoods and DED a lot more.

This is true, I loved some of neighborhoods but always had issues with parts of it, but in comparison to the clusterfuck their career went to, Neighborhoods has aged very well haha

• Like 3

10 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

By saying this you do confirm that you think that anyone that doesn’t share your views are in the wrong and “in denial”.

Why is it that you don’t think that everyone has the right to their own opinion?

Um, no.  Someone on here saying how much they like Rancid or heck Taylor Swift I'm not going to question that.  When someone says sequels have no effect and are just wonderful, or California era blink is just fine then yes I'm going to question it.

bands that come to exist for decades are bound to have duds in their discography eventually, it would be weird if they didn't. at some point their creative efforts take a questionable turn and we're left with something like Summer in Paradise. The Beach Boys are a great example actually - they arguably have more shit albums than mind-blowing ones with 20+ albums in their discography, but lyrics like "don't know why we love to chase those tasty ladies / Betcha boys we'll be doing it in our eighties" don't ruin Pet Sounds or The Beach Boys Today!.

it's only 2 albums for blink out of 8 total, and they had a good 5-album run from 95-03, which is more than a lot of bands can say for their own output.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jans Yang Wagon said:

Um, no.  Someone on here saying how much they like Rancid or heck Taylor Swift I'm not going to question that.  When someone says sequels have no effect and are just wonderful, or California era blink is just fine then yes I'm going to question it.

But that's just the thing, you're contradicting yourself with each answer. You say that you're not questioning if someone says they like Rancid och Taylor Swift because they fit the description of what you think is okay, but then you carry on to say that you're questioning someone for liking the California era blink-version because it don't fit your views of how blink should be. 

So I ask you again, why is it that you don’t think that everyone has the right to their own opinion?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kay said:

While I love arguing with Jan, I totally get where he's coming from. 

I'd say the legacy ruining thing is more that it colours your perspective of their earlier work because you know where and how they ended up.

But that's just the thing. There will always be people that like the what you're calling legacy-destroying albums or era more than what you think is the "legacy". 

The only thing that saying means is that you don't enjoy the new stuff as much as the old stuff, nothing more.

11 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

But that's just the thing, you're contradicting yourself with each answer. You say that you're not questioning if someone says they like Rancid och Taylor Swift because they fit the description of what you think is okay, but then you carry on to say that you're questioning someone for liking the California era blink-version because it don't fit your views of how blink should be. 

So I ask you again, why is it that you don’t think that everyone has the right to their own opinion?

I don't like Taylor Swift and I don't listen to Rancid. That's subjective.  California blink is objectively bad.

• Crab 2

1 minute ago, Jans Yang Wagon said:

I don't like Taylor Swift and I don't listen to Rancid. That's subjective.  California blink is objectively bad.

Why didn't you answer my question? 

All the people that likes the new blink but don't like old blink is kidding you? Or is it just that their opinion isn't worth as much as yours? 

4 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

So all of those people that likes the new blink but don't like old blink is kidding you? 

Yes, there's something wrong with them.  That's not much different than someone liking Father of all Mother Fuckers and disliking prime Green Day.  

• Haha 1