The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I'm sure the likes of AC/DC and Aerosmith have released piles of shite for 30 years straight yet their legacies are still intact. AC/DC are always gonna be associated with Highway to Hell and their classic albums. Green Day could release piles of shite for 30 years, like AC/DC and they'll still be a huge band and be associated with Basket Case, American Idiot and other huge hits they've had.

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

I think you guys are talking about different things when it comes to "legacy." In my opinion a legacy is a changing overarching thing that can be updated at any point. It doesn't necessarily have to do with how much you like or dislike any specific albums.

In my opinion, Blink's legacy in 2005 was an amazing band of best friends who were the hilarious and meaningful soundtrack to my preteen/teenage life, who then took a huge artistic leap before tragically falling apart. The only negative feelings were imagining what could have been.

Then they had a rocky but joyful (as a fan) reunion after a few years of being either insane or resentful, and released Neighborhoods and DED. I loved a lot of those songs and I'm forever grateful that I got to see them live two times, but they clearly weren't functioning quite right and their "legacy" at that point had to include the breakup, the personal awkwardness, and the sometimes-half-baked songs and artistic direction. That doesn't mean Enema was any less great, but it did take a little shine off of the band as a whole. They weren't this perfect entity or even a tragic "what could have been" story anymore.

Once Tom was replaced by Skiba, the Blink legacy was in an interesting spot because there was very good reason to think that bringing in the singer/songwriter of Alkaline Trio meant that Blink was going to refocus on punk rock. That would've made the breakups/reunion era look like a bump in the road that caused them to go back to their roots.

Instead, they took a different kind of left turn further into modern pop, which was made even more bizarre by the presence of Skiba. In my opinion, this just made their full "legacy" start looking like a funhouse mirror, you could see different things depending on the angle you were looking at it. Some people love the Skiba/modern pop influenced era, some people think it's a disgrace, some people think it's an entirely different band.

That is the definition of a tainted legacy. There is no easy throughline or narrative to the band anymore, it's gotten so complicated and has had so many disappointments involving so many bandmembers that you can't just simply say "Blink is an amazing band of best friends who were the hilarious and meaningful soundtrack to my preteen/teenage life." That doesn't mean the love for the classic era music goes away, or that they are a bad band who needs to be shit on, it just makes the big picture (AKA legacy) more complex than it would have been without all the missteps.

I agree with this too. For me it's not so much about the music when a band has a legacy. AC/DC are still huge despite releasing trash for 3 decades. People will always think of AC/DC as the band they were in the 70's.

Blink will always be the band they were from 1992-2005 but the bitter break up, side projects, post reunion and Skiba era of blink just adds to all of that. Blink have an amazing story when you think about it. If they were as huge as Queen, then they'd have a movie that's even more dramatic and intense than the Bohemian Rhapsody movie. I've always wondered how they'd deal with the plane crash if there was a movie on that level.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jans Yang Wagon said:

Yes, there's something wrong with them.  That's not much different than someone liking Father of all Mother Fuckers and disliking prime Green Day.  

Why do you think there's something wrong with them? Is it just that their opinion isn't worth as much as yours? 

7 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Why do you think there's something wrong with them? Is it just that their opinion isn't worth as much as yours? 

That's not an opinion though, that's like a troll or someone being extra hip if they legitimately like current blink better than past.

Even the Cali bots don't like it better than its predecessor Enema/TOYPAJ

• Crab 1

17 minutes ago, Jans Yang Wagon said:

That's not an opinion though, that's like a troll or someone being extra hip if they legitimately like current blink better than past.

So you really don't think there are people that like that era more than the old? 

People that weren't fans since 2000 will perceive all of the material in a different way than you do and these people may enjoy Cali/NINE way more than Enema/TOYPAJ. 

3 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

So you really don't think there are people that like that era more than the old? 

People that weren't fans since 2000 will perceive all of the material in a different way than you do and these people may enjoy Cali/NINE way more than Enema/TOYPAJ. 

Yes, I can confirm this.

I am officially signing off all these people are crazy or delusional if they like current blink more than the old, new fans or not.

Sincerely,

Signed,

Jan  

former accredited B- college psychology student 

• Crab 1

you can get close to objective discussions about music, but you have to define the parameters first; people like @Kay and @Ghent (two ends of the spectrum lol) disagree on what makes "good blink music", so it's unlikely they'll have a productive discussion the merits of their new music vs the old.

that's why I think discussions on production are better; it's still largely subjective, but you can talk about something more tangible

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Jans Yang Wagon said:

Ehhh, it's pretty damn close to them besides the heavy nostalgia factor. I'd rather listen to Cali than either of them today probably.

Dude Ranch is blink's best album

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, Jans Yang Wagon said:

Yes, I can confirm this.

I am officially signing off all these people are crazy or delusional if they like current blink more than the old, new fans or not.

Sincerely,

Signed,

Jan  

former accredited B- college psychology student 

Why do you think these people are crazy or delusional just because they don't share your opinions?

5 minutes ago, E-YAWN Musk said:

Paul Reubens.

I'd like Brad Pitt to play me. He'd have to slow down on the work out routines he does though. I have the slightest beer belly but I'm sure he could pull off my mannerisms and facial expressions without question.

If no Brad Pitt, then fuck it. No movie!

6 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Haha I’m tapping out man

Touchè hah, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, I will admit I originally didn't think a single person would legitimately like new blink more than previous, but your defense of it and that "teens react" segment there was 1 or 2 that responded to Bored to Death just as positively as the earlier stuff made me question otherwise.   It's still obtainable music for a lot of age groups, I just think anyone 25+ is going to be all about the old stuff due to knowing the history of the Mark + Tom friendship and humor/banter implemented in their music and such.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jans Yang Wagon said:

Touchè hah, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, I will admit I originally didn't think a single person would legitimately like new blink more than previous, but your defense of it and that "teens react" segment there was 1 or 2 that responded to Bored to Death just as positively as the earlier stuff made me question otherwise.   It's still obtainable music for a lot of age groups, I just think anyone 25+ is going to be all about the old stuff due to knowing the history of the Mark + Tom friendship and humor/banter implemented in their music and such.

Yeah, I mean all of us that has listened to them since early 2000s will always have sunshades on that sheds a brighter light towards the older stuff, that’s not weird. All I’m saying, and what you were admitting as well, is that people that never listened to the older stuff will have Cali or nine as their preference of how they “should” sound. If that’s the first albums they hear and like,

I can only have myself as an example here - I enjoy the heck of Warning/American Idiot/21CB, dookie and that stuff - not at all, that’s because I grew up on minority going into AI and that was what I heard first and liked first.

I discovered No use for a name with the album Hard Rock Bottom, I love that album and the two they released after that, the stuff before, not so much because it has a different sound compared to what my preference of the band I discovered should be.

10 hours ago, Jans Yang Wagon said:

Um, no.  Someone on here saying how much they like Rancid or heck Taylor Swift I'm not going to question that.  When someone says sequels have no effect and are just wonderful, or California era blink is just fine then yes I'm going to question it.

No one is saying sequels are just wonderful always. Literally no one. You’re arguing with no one.

• Like 2