The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I’m more about the “I’m not gonna tolerate that on here” line as opposed the video. That’s something an authority figure says like a teacher or a principal at a school. Davey is just one of us why is he telling the people in charge what to do?

45 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I’m more about the “I’m not gonna tolerate that on here” line as opposed the video. That’s something an authority figure says like a teacher or a principal at a school. Davey is just one of us why is he telling the people in charge what to do?

I know and I understand. I'm just one of those people that believes words only hold the power the listeners allow them to have. I think all agree that the context was deplorable but it should be ignored, not condemned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 120 Years of Senating said:

Relax, idiots are going to be idiots. It was towards me and I'm not upset.

yea i overreacted in the heat of the moment. i also, as @Russel Coightpoints out, i did not notice that it was an old post.

bottom line is hard R is a big thing for me. my best friend's sister had downs. COVID killed her in seven days. she was 29. i was with him when he got the call and burst into tears, shaking uncontrollably. so yea i go into a complete hulk rage when i see that kind of shit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

yea i overreacted in the heat of the moment. i also, as @Russel Coightpoints out, i did not notice that it was an old post.

bottom line is hard R is a big thing for me. my best friend's sister had downs. COVID killed her in seven days. she was 29. i was with him when he got the call and burst into tears, shaking uncontrollably. so yea i go into a complete hulk rage when i see that kind of shit.

I'd be lying if I said I never used it, that's a choice I make for my self and based on my own emphasis on context and intent. It isn't for everyone and I don't use it out of some desire of edginess, at least not consciously anyway. Like most people, the context and intent is on someone being silly, rather than disabled. You won't find rational people calling the disabled "retarded" and I have hope, maybe unfounded, that you won't find rational people calling homosexuals "fags"; still I am a fan of embracing alternative definitions.

Now, there will always be outliers, like the village idiots, Mard or Feeling_This (who liked the post). You can't do anything about them, they're stains ... stubborn ones at that ... maybe they'll go away, maybe they'll stick around as a reminder for the rational folks to be more careful.

I preach the importance of context, the importance of nuance and not giving undue power to words and I whole-heartedly believe in it. I like the intricacies of language, the multiple meanings and, yes, even the school yard sensibilities of words that would otherwise be used to tear human beings down. In it's own odd way, it feels like a step in the direction of putting everyone on an even playing field.

All that is not to say you'll find me lobbing it in your direction. While I could say "hey, how you take it is your problem, man", it takes a special kind of asshole to be that cruel and it would completely defeat the point I was making above. While context and intent is important when using words, that doesn't necessarily trump the context and inference of those on the receiving end. It's a balance and part of the aforementioned intricacies I adore. It'd be a lot easier if we could all NOT assume the worst of each other but that sort of cycles us back to those stubborn stains on society.

1 hour ago, 120 Years of Senating said:

While I could say "hey, how you take it is your problem, man", it takes a special kind of asshole to be that cruel and it would completely defeat the point I was making above.

i appreciate your nuanced and thoughtful reply.

1 hour ago, 120 Years of Senating said:

Like most people, the context and intent is on someone being silly, rather than disabled.

ah yes, but this was very, very different. this was a video of a person with downs syndrome playing a cover of a blink song on youtube. and someone said, "this is a person i think is stupid playing blink." mocking the real-live human being in that video is way, way worse than saying "that's retarded" when you hear something stupid.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

I’n sorry to hear about your friend.I’m 100% behind a push for people not dropping hard R’s. My gf is a physio for a NGO that solely looks after people with disabilities so I’m well aware of the damage using that word can cause. It’s horrible. My comment was never in regards to me defending the use of that word or anything like that.

You have obviously made sense of what I meant by my comment and I won’t push it any further. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@daveyjones I definitely appreciate what you're saying. Personally, I found the post deplorable, but the boards have had a fairly hands-off moderation approach forever and, since it's not my decision, I try to go by that.

I agree that the Mard's post was next-level awful because he can't even claim some convoluted Michael Scott (or Speedo) logic about context or intent.

Anyhow, I think this particular situation is up to @Ghent since it borders on something many posters say regularly.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Nasa said:

Speedo's long-winded diatribes on why he thinks he can justify using offensive language without hurting people's feelings always make me laugh.

Seriously, I didn't feel like arguing about but it's not that hard to just drop a word instead of writing a book on justifying why you just must say it still.  

I'm like the last person to be pushing a moral compass, but some things really aren't that hard.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jan Nation said:

Seriously, I didn't feel like arguing about but it's not that hard to just drop a word instead of writing a book on justifying why you just must say it still.  

I'm like the last person to be pushing a moral compass, but some things really aren't that hard.   

Then I suggest you don't use the word, Jan. You're right, it isn't that hard.