The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

12 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

It's not fun to think about but yes, there was a short time when Blink definitely had some kind of label PR pushing them out to cheesy teen pop-culture magazines along with all the boybands and starlets and makeup tips.

This is certainly not where I found out about them, but I'm sure quite a few people did:

3c4684440195a9d0ef1d16272f1bf73d.jpg

s-l400.jpg

ngqaqgbsv9031.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVa2SslpYLJ_1DGCHJwul

aVlDv1g.jpeg

il_340x270.2322008907_mxkd.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Just solid proof of what some people here are in denial of. It was clear as day they were being pushed like that, and At least I know for certain Tom has acknowledged and admitted it (although he claims he wasn’t happy about it). Yet some fools on this board will still try to act like this wasn’t the case.

• Wow 1

9 minutes ago, Timmy Two Nuts said:

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Just solid proof of what some people here are in denial of. It was clear as day they were being pushed like that, and At least I know for certain Tom has acknowledged and admitted it (although he claims he wasn’t happy about it). Yet some fools on this board will still try to act like this wasn’t the case.

Yeah it just took about 30 seconds of googling haha. I think it feels weird because I assume pretty much none of us here knew of Blink because of that kind of marketing in 1999/00, definitely don't associate them with those kinds of acts, and maybe didn't even realize it was happening at the time. But you're right that Tom and Mark have talked about how much they hated that portrayal and fought against it after feeling like they were a part of a label "machine" at that time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Yeah it just took about 30 seconds of googling haha. I think it feels weird because I assume pretty much none of us here knew of Blink because of that kind of marketing in 1999/00, definitely don't associate them with those kinds of acts, and maybe didn't even realize it was happening at the time. But you're right that Tom and Mark have talked about how much they hated that portrayal and fought against it after feeling like they were a part of a label "machine" at that time.

Yea I definitely didn’t find out about them from those magazines lol. Just MTV like probably most of us. I’m sure bands like Limp Bizkit and even Eminem were also part of those magazines to be fair

35 minutes ago, Timmy Two Nuts said:

Not necessarily like blink was. Quit trying to reason, just accept it. 

i'm not trying to reason? i'm stating a fact

34 minutes ago, Timmy Two Nuts said:

Was Marilyn Manson? I remember him doing very well on TRL and MTV

he definitely wasn't popular on TRL at the same time as blink. and way to pick the most ridiculously extreme example. no shit marilyn manson wasn't in there.

1 hour ago, wannabe corn dog said:

i'm not trying to reason? i'm stating a fact

he definitely wasn't popular on TRL at the same time as blink. and way to pick the most ridiculously extreme example. no shit marilyn manson wasn't in there.

He was huge on TRL, regardless if you don’t remember. And if you wanna talk about same time as blink…Kid Rock was all over TRL same time as blink. Was he all teeny bopping in the magazines? Just accept it man, denial is just a River in Africa. 

1 hour ago, Timmy Two Nuts said:

He was huge on TRL, regardless if you don’t remember. And if you wanna talk about same time as blink…Kid Rock was all over TRL same time as blink. Was he all teeny bopping in the magazines? Just accept it man, denial is just a River in Africa. 

kid rock's name is literally on the teen people magazine posted above and i owned that exact copy back in the day. jesus, you're annoying as hell. why do you care about blink being in magazines in 2000? 

15 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

kid rock's name is literally on the teen people magazine posted above and i owned that exact copy back in the day. jesus, you're annoying as hell. why do you care about blink being in magazines in 2000? 

But was he on all the covers tho? I don’t care, it’s a simple principal. Some people can admit the truth and others can’t. You’re the latter. It’s ok. 

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

Liar. Travis would make a great Joe C.

For some reason I always remember back in the day in an interview , and Travis was asked about new music that he liked or whatever. He said he thought Slipknot was alright but that he didn’t like Kid Rock. Then I remember Kid Rock saying in an interview after the 2000 VMAs what acts he liked and blink was one of the bands he shouted out. Also on a podcast about a year ago Rick Devoe said somehow blink was with Pennywise, Kid Rock, and Joe C of all people in a van, and I think someone like Fletcher got em all pissed off calling him a midget lol. And that’s my daily incoherent rambling thanks for reading 

11 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

Yeah Mark kind of seems like he doesn't want to do shows this year. They only have a few dates scheduled this year but I don't see any of them happening. 

Yea I honestly don’t blame him. Lansing Common Ground only had 9 comments on their last Facebook post about the show from November (yikes!). Everything is still a bit shit show and I doubt they had many tickets sold. I don’t blame the promoter or blink, we’re all just victims of this damn China virus (in my Trump voice). 

14 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

Yeah Mark kind of seems like he doesn't want to do shows this year. They only have a few dates scheduled this year but I don't see any of them happening. 

Do they have any scheduled dates left? The Canadian festivals they were scheduled to play have both been cancelled (Ottawa and London), blink hasn't confirmed for either that they'll play on the rescheduled 2022 dates.

27 minutes ago, mahtmd said:

Do they have any scheduled dates left? The Canadian festivals they were scheduled to play have both been cancelled (Ottawa and London), blink hasn't confirmed for either that they'll play on the rescheduled 2022 dates.

I think Summerfest is still scheduled. But i bet it gets cancelled. 

• Like 1

MM's videos actually would get on TRL a lot back in the late 90s. he would go on an get interviews for various albums too I recall. probably not as big as the pop acts of the time but his videos were usually voted on as a reaction to the squeaky clean boybands and teen queens of the time. his videos never stayed long enough to get retired but they would hover around for weeks at a time. 

9 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

MM's videos actually would get on TRL a lot back in the late 90s. he would go on an get interviews for various albums too I recall. probably not as big as the pop acts of the time but his videos were usually voted on as a reaction to the squeaky clean boybands and teen queens of the time. his videos never stayed long enough to get retired but they would hover around for weeks at a time. 

he was definitely on mtv but his trl exposure was limited, especially because his biggest albums nearly predate the show entirely. his peak was 1996-1999 and everything else we're talking about was pure early 2000s.