The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

38 minutes ago, Ghent said:

lol, I'm just messing around.. Of course I know the "official" band history with Scott though.

All I'm saying is that I'd like to hear his side of the story. I could make a list of 100 questions for the guy

What are your first 5 questions? 

I agree with @Ghent that Scott is still a (potentially?) interesting character in the Blink story. Sure, quite a few bands have original members who left before the band got big, and they all probably share some regrets or "what if" feelings.

But Scott is interesting for actually being in the band for years during their ascent (including reaching the top of the punk "underground" world and scoring a huge hit single), and for how incredibly silent he's been in the 20+ years since.

It's kind of like Scott has the life of an anonymous accidental one-hit-wonder from the 90s who never planned on being in the music world. Because if Dammit was Blink's only hit and then they broke up, I'm pretty certain that Tom and Mark would have kept creating music one way or another. But not only is Scott not famous, he is so unknown and seemingly disinterested that it's strange to even imagine him being enthusiastic about creating music in the first place.

Maybe he signed some kind of NDA back in the day, maybe his feelings are hurt, maybe he's just that introverted or truly doesn't give a shit, who knows! That's what makes him and his story so mysterious.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I agree with @Ghent that Scott is still a (potentially?) interesting character in the Blink story. Sure, quite a few bands have original members who left before the band got big, and they all probably share some regrets or "what if" feelings.

But Scott is interesting for actually being in the band for years during their ascent (including reaching the top of the punk "underground" world and scoring a huge hit single), and for how incredibly silent he's been in the 20+ years since.

It's kind of like Scott has the life of an anonymous accidental one-hit-wonder from the 90s who never planned on being in the music world. Because if Dammit was Blink's only hit and then they broke up, I'm pretty certain that Tom and Mark would have kept creating music one way or another. But not only is Scott not famous, he is so unknown and seemingly disinterested that it's strange to even imagine him being enthusiastic about creating music in the first place.

Maybe he signed some kind of NDA back in the day, maybe his feelings are hurt, maybe he's just that introverted or truly doesn't give a shit, who knows! That's what makes him and his story so mysterious.

He heard how much better Travis made Mutt and he never wanted to create music again! 

• Like 1

Personally, as someone who has played in bands for half of my life now, I have seen a LOT of people come and go within music scenes. ESPECIALLY early on, when playing an instrument in a band could just be a fun pastime in high school/college. Plenty of people play for fun but don't necessarily have the passion/interest to build their life around it. Normally, they and their bands just gradually slow down as other interests and life stuff comes up.

My guess is Scott was one of those people. He started playing with Tom and Mark for fun in high school, only it took off more than expected and Tom and Mark's passion and creativity drove their lives while Scott was looking around going "WTF how did I end up here??"

If he was interested in that he would have pursued music in a different way after splitting with Blink. He was a Gold-album-selling drummer who had toured all over the world, been on MTV, packed the Warped Tour! He could've easily kept playing as a career if he wanted to. He clearly never had the personality to be in a fulltime successful band, let alone a gigantic phenomenon. It definitely worked out best for everybody.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Blink Online Exclusive Scott Raynor Interview

Let's make it happen. Can we track this man down?

maybe through his most recent band, The Wraiths? or Davey 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Personally, as someone who has played in bands for half of my life now, I have seen a LOT of people come and go within music scenes. ESPECIALLY early on, when playing an instrument in a band could just be a fun pastime in high school/college. Plenty of people play for fun but don't necessarily have the passion/interest to build their life around it. Normally, they and their bands just gradually slow down as other interests and life stuff comes up.

My guess is Scott was one of those people. He started playing with Tom and Mark for fun in high school, only it took off more than expected and Tom and Mark's passion and creativity drove their lives while Scott was looking around going "WTF how did I end up here??"

If he was interested in that he would have pursued music in a different way after splitting with Blink. He was a Gold-album-selling drummer who had toured all over the world, been on MTV, packed the Warped Tour! He could've easily kept playing as a career if he wanted to. He clearly never had the personality to be in a fulltime successful band, let alone a gigantic phenomenon. It definitely worked out best for everybody.

Good point. NDA or not, he must have had zero interest in being a popular/mainstream musician. Some other band would have picked him up. But he still liked drumming, because he played in small time irrelevant bands?

I'm not meaning this as some kind of direct insult (before Casey awkwardly tries to rip me up again), but the other possibility is that he truly is a crackpot or oddball type of guy. I'm not assuming this is the case, it's simply a possibility as we don't know anything about him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Good point. NDA or not, he must have had zero interest in being a popular/mainstream musician. Some other band would have picked him up. But he still liked drumming, because he played in small time irrelevant bands?

I'm not meaning this as some kind of direct insult (before Casey awkwardly tries to rip me up again), but the other possibility is that he truly is a crackpot or oddball type of guy. I'm not assuming this is the case, it's simply a possibility as we don't know anything about him.

Sometimes starting over is extremely deflating. Ever spend several years with a girl/guy that you really loved only to have it end with them dumping you....and then you realize those years are lost and you have to start everything over? It sucks! Especially if that person is parading around someone new, who is better looking and more talented than you, and that person helps launch your ex- into a crazy successful life that you'll never get to be part of. In that case, it could (and should) be a long time before you enter another relationship because you need to deal with your emotions and figure out a lot about yourself. Jumping into another relationship right away isn't going to work out. It could take years to get over that split. In the meantime, life is going by and you're getting older....I bet he was so demoralized and didn't do music for a long time. I don't think he ever resurfaced being in a band until years later. And now he's old with a normal life already established. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Toast said:

Sometimes starting over is extremely deflating. Ever spend several years with a girl/guy that you really loved only to have it end with them dumping you....and then you realize those years are lost and you have to start everything over? It sucks! Especially if that person is parading around someone new, who is better looking and more talented than you, and that person helps launch your ex- into a crazy successful life that you'll never get to be part of.

This in reference to MGK and your lady?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Ghent said:

Scott has the potential to be an interesting character. I’d genuinely like to know what he’s like, what his beliefs are, thoughts on blink, possible regrets, etc.

just read his interview bits in the shooman book. scott's quite open and honest about things.

also it's funny to read through this thread with all the scott stuff the last day or so because i knew the guy personally.

46 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

just read his interview bits in the shooman book. scott's quite open and honest about things.

also it's funny to read through this thread with all the scott stuff the last day or so because i knew the guy personally.

What is your single, most favorite memory with Scott? 

22 hours ago, Ghent said:

You'd think after all this time he would sign up for Instagram or Twitter or something and start talking a bit about his blink years. Did they gag order him Ryan Sinn style or what?

There is probably more to explore here.

I use to talk to the guy on AIM back in the day after he left he would always say "I can't talk about it" When AVA got brought up. So clearly they put some kind of gag order on him. Plus I don't think we've seen many interviews with him at all since he left. 

1 minute ago, Chewy030 said:

I use to talk to the guy on AIM back in the day after he left he would always say "I can't talk about it" When AVA got brought up. So clearly they put some kind of gag order on him. Plus I don't think we've seen many interviews with him at all since he left. 

I doubt many people are trying to interview Ryan Sinn anyways though lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texas Toast said:

I doubt many people are trying to interview Ryan Sinn anyways though lol 

Distillers are back again, so maybe? No one gives a shit about AvA or his role in it though, so definitely not about that.