The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Have always liked the album, but it’s aging pretty terribly for me.

Same. I loved it when it came out but it’s the blink album I listen to the least these days and when I do I just don’t feel it that much. Too disjointed maybe I dunno. I know some like that about it but not for me.

I think it's an alright album. Many songs like "Kaleidoscope" are rather bland. The lyrics and melody are so bland, but the background music is sooo nice to listen to that it saves it. If it were a pop punk song on California it'd be terrible. "Love Is Dangerous" rules though, The Church ripoff and all. I definitely think the entire album is better as a piece of music than a set of songs , if that makes sense. But the same thing goes with the 2003 album tbf. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, theedge00 said:

Neighborhoods feels like a VERY good demo. They definitely needed a producer on that one. You can hear hints of greatness on some songs, but it’s not really there.

This is spot on. The recording quality and songwriting quality sound so demo-like, such as blatantly being able to tell when Mark wrote/recorded guitar parts vs. when Tom could be bothered to do his job, and things that sound like copy/pasted placeholders being left in as bridges. It makes for an interesting but very frustrating "what if" album.

There are certain songs and pieces that completely hit the Blink sweet spot and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world, but with some more thought and passion and work, and a producer who could've managed their egos and strained relationships while pushing their creative buttons correctly it could've been a Great album.

• Like 3

On 6/21/2021 at 7:45 AM, thongrider said:

I think it's an alright album. Many songs like "Kaleidoscope" are rather bland. The lyrics and melody are so bland, but the background music is sooo nice to listen to that it saves it. If it were a pop punk song on California it'd be terrible. "Love Is Dangerous" rules though, The Church ripoff and all. I definitely think the entire album is better as a piece of music than a set of songs , if that makes sense. But the same thing goes with the 2003 album tbf. 

Bland is a perfect word to describe the album. Lol I was just going to say that but you beat me to the punch 

25 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

This is spot on. The recording quality and songwriting quality sound so demo-like, such as blatantly being able to tell when Mark wrote/recorded guitar parts vs. when Tom could be bothered to do his job, and things that sound like copy/pasted placeholders being left in as bridges. It makes for an interesting but very frustrating "what if" album.

There are certain songs and pieces that completely hit the Blink sweet spot and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world, but with some more thought and passion and work, and a producer who could've managed their egos and strained relationships while pushing their creative buttons correctly it could've been a Great album.

I think the recording quality is great. I don’t love the songs at all but it actually sounds like real rock music recording. Unlike the computer dominated recordings that have come in the Skiba era.

18 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

How? He didn’t do anything special with it live. The song is as it is 

The guitar tones and playing styles would be completely different. You can tell the difference in who's playing the guitar even if they play the exact same thing. Dogs Eating Dogs is a typical +44 sounding song but it sounds like Tom playing the guitar, compared to songs like MH, Hearts All Gone, Kaleidoscope & Fighting the Gravity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

The guitar tones and playing styles would be completely different. You can tell the difference in who's playing the guitar even if they play the exact same thing. Dogs Eating Dogs is a typical +44 sounding song but it sounds like Tom playing the guitar, compared to songs like MH, Hearts All Gone, Kaleidoscope & Fighting the Gravity.

This comment is no longer available. 

1 minute ago, FAPLORD said:

I’m not so sure the tone would be different. I have a pretty good ear for tone and I never realized it wasn’t Tom until mark said so. Neither did anyone else so don’t kid yourselves 

Literally everyone noticed, it was one of the first things talked about after its release ... your ear is shit, lol

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Literally everyone noticed, it was one of the first things talked about after its release ... your ear is shit, lol

Pics or it didn’t happen. And honestly I just barely ever listened to the record. Especially when it first came out 

@FAPLORD

On 9/14/2011 at 1:52 PM, anders182 said:

the guitar in the interlude is so plus 44 😜

On 9/24/2011 at 12:55 AM, Blink182acti0n said:

Its pretty obvious who recorded what guitar parts on this cd.

On 9/23/2011 at 11:33 PM, Bulkzero said:

i doubt tom had anything to do with HAG, fighting the gravity, or MH. i dont even think he recorded the guitar track.

On 10/16/2011 at 3:10 PM, Grouch said:

I'm pretty sure all of the guitars on all three of those tracks are Mark as well. Tom is nowhere to be found on any of the Mark sung tracks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here's another good example from @Ghentback then haha

On 8/29/2011 at 11:00 PM, Ghent said:

I think the major obstacle of this album (as a listener) will be to ignore the fact that some/most of the songs were written individually.

Tom complimenting Mark on a song and literally saying he had nothing to do with it is a bit weird.

On 8/30/2011 at 11:02 AM, Ghent said:

It's hard to tell on past albums because (like msandt said) it was one studio and they collaborated more. In HAG it is clearly Mark on guitar because Tom just doesn't get that tone or play that way.

• Like 4

It's pretty fun to be able to look that far back actually haha here's one of my first posts which is about this exact topic, talking about whether Tom recorded guitar on Kaleidoscope:

On 11/4/2011 at 12:31 PM, Champ182 said:

The guitar on the chorus sounds like it could be him, but the verses sound straight up like +44. It's kinda funny that people have complained about Neighborhoods having too much AVA influence, but I hear a lot more +44 sounding stuff than AVA. But I don't care, that's who these guys are. It would be nuts to not expect to hear the influence of those bands.

• Like 1