The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

3 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I don't think they had anything overtly religious, I feel like they just weren't offensive.  No cussing, edgy song topics etc. 

Being on Tooth & Nail kind of gave them a built in audience for awhile before they floated away to where they are now.

Weak

Light my path show me
The way filter everything
I say try to forgive try
To forget why do I do what
I regret? my flesh nature
Won't abide its ripping
Me apart inside Jesus
Pulls me back together
My soul will be with him
Forever can't get away
From bitterness can't
Seem to lose my
Selfishness my faith in father
God cause I am
Weak and he is strong!

Lyrics to Weak from their first album Pokinatcha.

---------------------

Firts MxPx song i listened was Responsability, i remember being so happy to find a band that sounded so close to blink!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, raw_sounds said:

Weak

Light my path show me
The way filter everything
I say try to forgive try
To forget why do I do what
I regret? my flesh nature
Won't abide its ripping
Me apart inside Jesus
Pulls me back together
My soul will be with him
Forever can't get away
From bitterness can't
Seem to lose my
Selfishness my faith in father
God cause I am
Weak and he is strong!

Lyrics to Weak from their first album Pokinatcha.

---------------------

Firts MxPx song i listened was Responsability, i remember being so happy to find a band that sounded so close to blink!

good lord those are some cringe lyrics.  I'm not a super fan (started with Life in General) and I'm glad I didn't know about this until now, or I honestly wouldn't have listened lol.

Nvm my fake news above haha.

So happy that Mark has gotten the best news he could hope for.  He's gonna kick cancer's butt.

Now, I have to wonder, how will blink be affected by this moving forward.  The obvious thought I'm sure many of us have is that Tom is inevitably going to return, I think this was a given even before Mark's cancer, but now, I just can't imagine him not returning at some point.  I'd put money on this thought at this point.

But beyond that I'm curious what will happen with the music itself, It seems like they were working on an album that was nearly done, are they still gonna release that, or is Mark in such a different place now that he'll want to release something else?  Like I can imagine he'll have a lot  more personal songs he'll want to write personally and not release another album filled with guest song writers.  As I recall, the When Your Heart Stops Beating album was written out of a very dark and personal place from where Mark was at in life at that point.  I can definitely see another blink album like that coming out in the wake of all of this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, M!ke said:

So happy that Mark has gotten the best news he could hope for.  He's gonna kick cancer's butt.

Now, I have to wonder, how will blink be affected by this moving forward.  The obvious thought I'm sure many of us have is that Tom is inevitably going to return, I think this was a given even before Mark's cancer, but now, I just can't imagine him not returning at some point.  I'd put money on this thought at this point.

But beyond that I'm curious what will happen with the music itself, It seems like they were working on an album that was nearly done, are they still gonna release that, or is Mark in such a different place now that he'll want to release something else?  Like I can imagine he'll have a lot  more personal songs he'll want to write personally and not release another album filled with guest song writers.  As I recall, the When Your Heart Stops Beating album was written out of a very dark and personal place from where Mark was at in life at that point.  I can definitely see another blink album like that coming out in the wake of all of this.

With Tom involved, it won’t be any good. Dudes well past his prime and needs writers just to produce ANY volume of music. And that music blows. Even if you like it, it’s light years  away from prime blink.  Blinks never gonna be blink again folks, just face the music 

1 minute ago, FAPLORD said:

With Tom involved, it won’t be any good. Dudes well past his prime and needs writers just to produce ANY volume of music. And that music blows. Even if you like it, it’s light years  away from prime blink.  Blinks never gonna be blink again folks, just face the music 

Careful with all that salt, you'll develop hypertension. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Careful with all that salt, you'll develop hypertension. 

Just being honest. No salt involved. It’s what happens to every band. You have a limited heyday. Surely you don’t believe Tom rejoins blink in 2025 and returns with a kick ass album lol 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

To each their own, but I'm seeing a lot in the new Angels and Airwaves music that I very much enjoy.  Kiss & Tell, Euphoria, and All That's Left is Love are great Tom songs in my book.  And I'm the type of guy that will happily shit on that band when they miss the mark, as they so often do, I think Rebel Girl is garbage and the newest one is nothing special too.  But still 3 out of 5 of their new songs are great to me.  And prior to leaving blink, I really really liked the direction that Dogs Eating Dogs was indicating the band may go.  So, I dunno, I absolutely think Tom still has great music left in him, and would totally check out what a new blink album with him involved would shape up to be like. 

Beyond that though, I do think that regardless of if Tom is back for another blink album or not, that it would be smart to let Mark take lead on much of the next one (in regards to song writing and finding the right tunes to go with it), and even if it takes a long time to put such an album of songs together, I wouldn't fault such an album for taking it's time to be created at all.

I don't think Toms coming back and I don't like speculating about the music right now as I care more about how Mark is doing health wise, but if Tom comes back I 100% believe the music will be better in blink than its been without him. IF they're writing together and not getting feldmann and others to hold their hands. 

However, I doubt it'll touch prime blink. Hell I doubt it'll touch Neighborhoods level. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kay said:

I don't think Toms coming back and I don't like speculating about the music right now as I care more about how Mark is doing health wise, but if Tom comes back I 100% believe the music will be better in blink than its been without him. IF they're writing together and not getting feldmann and others to hold their hands. 

However, I doubt it'll touch prime blink. Hell I doubt it'll touch Neighborhoods level. 

I get that it's weird to speculate about the band at a time like this.  But this is the general discussion topic, I think as long as we all recognize that we're cheering Mark on, praying for the best and acknowledging that he's just gotten the best news he could hope for and that he has a damn great chance to beat this thing, that it should be ok to try and put our minds on other subjects in regard to the band.

In regard to your point about Tom not coming back, why don't you think he'd come back?  Travis nearly died in a plane accident and that got Tom to come back, Mark has stage 4 cancer and now talks to Tom every day.  There were already positive signs prior to all of this that Tom would be back in blink to some extent, I think something like this will only help ensure it happens all the more.  And I say this as someone who after Tom was kicked out the last time, was certain he would never be back in the band again, for like a few years I firmly believed that at that.

Just now, M!ke said:

I get that it's weird to speculate about the band at a time like this.  But this is the general discussion topic, I think as long as we all recognize that we're cheering Mark on, praying for the best and acknowledging that he's just gotten the best news he could hope for and that he has a damn great chance to beat this thing, that it should be ok to try and put our minds on other subjects in regard to the band.

In regard to your point about Tom not coming back, why don't you think he'd come back?  Travis nearly died in a plane accident and that got Tom to come back, Mark has stage 4 cancer and now talks to Tom every day.  There were already positive signs prior to all of this that Tom would be back in blink to some extent, I think something like this will only help ensure it happens all the more.  And I say this as someone who after Tom was kicked out the last time, was certain he would never be back in the band again, for like a few years at that.

Because they hadn't spoken at all really when the Travis incident happened. And then they went through the whole reunion saga. 

They know this time around working with Tom isn't going to be like the old days, and that he'll never commit fully within the time lines they would prefer. They know they can continue without him (they seem happy, even if me and other fans aren't) and they didn't have that comfort before. Tom knows more than ever that he can do what he likes and survive without the blink umbrella tied firmly to him, and music in general is much less of a priority for him now than it was even back in the mid 2000s. Things are different, and I don't see it happening. They're friends again now, and that's great. Doesn't mean the music will come back, at least not in the way we'd hope. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

Because they hadn't spoken at all really when the Travis incident happened. And then they went through the whole reunion saga. 

They know this time around working with Tom isn't going to be like the old days, and that he'll never commit fully within the time lines they would prefer. They know they can continue without him (they seem happy, even if me and other fans aren't) and they didn't have that comfort before. Tom knows more than ever that he can do what he likes and survive without the blink umbrella tied firmly to him, and music in general is much less of a priority for him now than it was even back in the mid 2000s. Things are different, and I don't see it happening. They're friends again now, and that's great. Doesn't mean the music will come back, at least not in the way we'd hope. 

Yeah I think that since they know how Tom seems to work now, is all the more reason why they can understand how to better navigate another reunion.  Like Tom said when Travis nearly died, he knew he had to play music with him again, I have to imagine he's feeling exactly that again now in regard to Mark.  Maybe he would be slow to work on anything again, but maybe that doesn't even matter now though, keep Matt around too, and whatever little Tom can contribute should be enough, especially if Mark takes lead on such a hypothetical album (as he should), and writes the bulk of the album on his own.  Its not like Shane or Craig had any real influence on how long it took for WYHSB to be fully realized. 

Just now, Speedo said:

As a fellow "Matt" I prefer a Matt-free band.

Well now that I'm not sure how I'd bet on that subject.  I think realistically it would come down to whether Matt personally wants to stay or leave.  We know that Tom drags his feet, so having another guitarist who doesn't, still be in the band, could ensure that shit gets finished up even when the flake is being flakey.  Personally I'd love to hear what they'd sound like as a 4 piece, I do like Matt's voice and it'd be interesting to hear the 3 voices reflect off each other in the various combinations that they could have.  But yeah, I could see that unfolding either way, the 4 of them, or Matt just bowing out and focusing only on Alkaline Trio instead.

59 minutes ago, M!ke said:

To each their own, but I'm seeing a lot in the new Angels and Airwaves music that I very much enjoy.  Kiss & Tell, Euphoria, and All That's Left is Love are great Tom songs in my book.  And I'm the type of guy that will happily shit on that band when they miss the mark, as they so often do, I think Rebel Girl is garbage and the newest one is nothing special too.  But still 3 out of 5 of their new songs are great to me.  And prior to leaving blink, I really really liked the direction that Dogs Eating Dogs was indicating the band may go.  So, I dunno, I absolutely think Tom still has great music left in him, and would totally check out what a new blink album with him involved would shape up to be like. 

Beyond that though, I do think that regardless of if Tom is back for another blink album or not, that it would be smart to let Mark take lead on much of the next one (in regards to song writing and finding the right tunes to go with it), and even if it takes a long time to put such an album of songs together, I wouldn't fault such an album for taking it's time to be created at all.

Well if you’re loving the new AVA and are expecting that with blink, don’t , unless Ilan Rubin joins because he is basically AVA at this point 

57 minutes ago, Kay said:

It would most likely be a more bland and boring Neighborhoods, as if that is somehow possible. Although I do believe Mark will be capable of some good songs, especially after this cancer experience. And honestly, Matt’s voice is a thousand times better than Tom’s current voice as a fit for blink. At least there’s a touch of masculinity and some balls there, I can’t stand Tom’s current voice or singing style for the life of me. It definitely doesn’t work with blink. And some people here (ahem Mike!) can convince themselves otherwise, but the truth is NOBODY would be listening to it or tolerating that shit if he hadn’t been a member of blink.