The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Semi-serious question: Forget the idea of Skiba and Tom in the band at the same time, is Skiba even in the band right now? Do we know if he ever worked on anything the band was working on before/during the pandemic?

I don't think he ever formed a connection to Blink that would make him remotely interested in sticking around if/when Tom re-joined.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Semi-serious question: Forget the idea of Skiba and Tom in the band at the same time, is Skiba even in the band right now? Do we know if he ever worked on anything the band was working on before/during the pandemic?

I don't think he ever formed a connection to Blink that would make him remotely interested in sticking around if/when Tom re-joined.

I mean, the money is probably decent. I stick with my job 'cause it pays well.

6 hours ago, Champ182 said:

is Skiba even in the band right now?

Yep. Excuse the source but:

That was only a month ago so seems safe to assume he is still a member as I doubt Mark would be putting any of his energy into kicking Matt out of the band with everything else he has going on.

This was before Mark’s diagnosis became public I’m pretty sure. So considering what Travis said in February and Mark saying he found out about his cancer in April, getting an extra 25% done between February and April seems reasonable. This is assuming they stopped writing/recording once Mark received his diagnosis.

Do we know if he ever worked on anything the band was working on before/during the pandemic?

Also yep.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI19573jJf4/?igshid=1kg5j197ela8p

102-BCDFE-D0-CA-4791-B737-8884-B7060235.

Just for a couple of examples.

I honestly wouldn’t be shocked either way. I can’t see Mark or Travis just kicking Matt out if Tom came back. They also wouldn’t let Tom dictate who can be in the band or not if he decides he didn’t want Matt to continue. But I could see Matt just taking a step back out of respect for Tom.

Mark, Travis and Matt all had a friendship before he joined blink. Can’t see them just throwing him to the curb as soon as Tom comes back and they don’t “need” him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I love the sunrise skater kid stuff for all the piss takey goodness but didn't really care about the cover. Excited for the new album though. 

Yeah I mean it didn't blow my mind or anything just always think it's more interesting when a band at least tries to change the song up with a cover rather than just a cut and paste job. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Yep. Excuse the source but:

That was only a month ago so seems safe to assume he is still a member as I doubt Mark would be putting any of his energy into kicking Matt out of the band with everything else he has going on.

This was before Mark’s diagnosis became public I’m pretty sure. So considering what Travis said in February and Mark saying he found out about his cancer in April, getting an extra 25% done between February and April seems reasonable. This is assuming they stopped writing/recording once Mark received his diagnosis.

Also yep.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI19573jJf4/?igshid=1kg5j197ela8p

102-BCDFE-D0-CA-4791-B737-8884-B7060235.

Just for a couple of examples.

I honestly wouldn’t be shocked either way. I can’t see Mark or Travis just kicking Matt out if Tom came back. They also wouldn’t let Tom dictate who can be in the band or not if he decides he didn’t want Matt to continue. But I could see Matt just taking a step back out of respect for Tom.

Mark, Travis and Matt all had a friendship before he joined blink. Can’t see them just throwing him to the curb as soon as Tom comes back and they don’t “need” him.

Great research, thanks!!

As for whether he'd stay if Tom came back, I don't see Mark and Travis kicking him out, I just think everyone would mutually realize that Skiba was filling in as a substitute and then his shift was over. I can't imagine any hard feelings in any direction, just like a "Hey thanks guys that was fun! Let me know if you need me again sometime! Seeya around!"

That's kinda what I mean by not establishing much of a real connection. Considering he's been in the band for 6 YEARS already(!!) it's always felt like a favor for friends rather than a creative passion.

• Like 2

Not even crediting the uploader of this gem (who is Jim McLain) and Blink 182 Online (for reference this footage was posted early June on the comprehensive and timeline thread) once again ...

Stop acting like you found the rad and cool discoveries merci beaucoup

Also This is the earliest known performance of Mutt, and quite possibly its first performance ever.

@daveyjones This is definitely not true as Davey confirmed and saw that song performed the previous month in February on the San Diego date so that's false information. Get your facts right

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRuRPNxNQaG/

• Like 2

so, i got to see green day live for the first time last night and was honestly blown away. extremely tight as a band, high-energy, old-school rock showmanship/crowd work, fans coming up onstage… it was just a great show. it got me thinking about how much blink truly sucks live,  and why that is. and i guess the difference is that neither mark or tom have a big interest in classic rock showmanship, and that’s okay. tom also clearly has little interest in music anymore, whereas the whole green day entourage seems like it’s the first gig they’ve ever played. that enthusiasm really translates well to a big crowd given that these bands will never play smaller rooms again, and it’s something blink sorely lacks. apples to oranges i guess, but green day live was extremely fun in a way blink has never been for me

• Like 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, boxelder said:

so, i got to see green day live for the first time last night and was honestly blown away. extremely tight as a band, high-energy, old-school rock showmanship/crowd work, fans coming up onstage… it was just a great show. it got me thinking about how much blink truly sucks live,  and why that is. and i guess the difference is that neither mark or tom have a big interest in classic rock showmanship, and that’s okay. tom also clearly has little interest in music anymore, whereas the whole green day entourage seems like it’s the first gig they’ve ever played. that enthusiasm really translates well to a big crowd given that these bands will never play smaller rooms again, and it’s something blink sorely lacks. apples to oranges i guess, but green day live was extremely fun in a way blink has never been for me

Green Day is just a much better band, as far as musicianship goes. I love blink a billion times more, but it’s the truth. Without the studio magic Mark and Tom would have never sounded good. They were capable of being fairly good live, but that was during a time when they were still excited about their careers and were trying. That didn’t last very long. 

• Like 1