The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

On 8/10/2021 at 10:06 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

rough demos are cool to listen to but there isn't a single blink-182 demo that sounds better than the final album track imo.

with that said, a while ago I sloppily put vocals over that demo just to get an idea of what it might have sounded like:

Thanks for doing this so I can know the real song is better lol.

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2021 at 9:06 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

rough demos are cool to listen to but there isn't a single blink-182 demo that sounds better than the final album track imo.

imo every single song on dude ranch that has an earlier version, the earlier one is better. every one.

33 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

imo every single song on dude ranch that has an earlier version, the earlier one is better. every one.

Earlier versions and demos aren’t the same to me. Official releases of different versions of the same song are cool. I know for Dude Ranch there were songs on it that had been released before in other forms. But I can’t think of an actual demo that I’ve enjoyed more than an official release. I do still enjoy listening to them though, it’s fun to compare the demos to the final versions and pick out what changed.

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

"princess leia" was only demoed. it squashes the DR version like a grape. raynor in top form.

The thing is, those versions were the recorded versions you heard first. In most cases any "other" recording isn't going to sound as good to you because you were used to the other version. It's a perspective thing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

"princess leia" was only demoed. it squashes the DR version like a grape. raynor in top form.

It's been a long time since I've heard that version, I just gave it another listen on YouTube and I agree it was pretty good! I lost a lot of my blink-182 b-sides and rare tracks somewhere between past computers. Thank goodness for youtube I guess. The lower quality of demos can sometimes be cool but it mostly hampers my enjoyment of the music. I'm actually a big fan of artists re-recording their earliest songs way later in their careers in better quality. It rarely ever happens, but I always think it's cool when it does (I don't always think it's better than the original, but it is fun to have an alternate version to listen to at least). Even blink re-recording What's My Age Again for that mashup with Lil' Wayne was cool, just to hear Matt Skiba's vocals on an official studio recording of that track (too bad it was only a mashup, but still cool).

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

@Cheerios4u98 Senses Fail did a pretty great job a couple of years ago when they recorded a re-imagined version of their EP From The Depths of Dreams. 

Yeah, and I loved it! I still listen to the old version too, but in that case I actually prefer the new version. It's fun to have both though!

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Kay said:

The thing is, those versions were the recorded versions you heard first. In most cases any "other" recording isn't going to sound as good to you because you were used to the other version. It's a perspective thing. 

to be fair to leia, the first recording i heard of that was DR. but i had been hearing it live since 95, and the demo version (which i did not hear until the mp3 era) is much closer to how they played it live. so you are both right and wrong, in a sense. :)

13 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

It's been a long time since I've heard that version, I just gave it another listen on YouTube and I agree it was pretty good! I lost a lot of my blink-182 b-sides and rare tracks somewhere between past computers. Thank goodness for youtube I guess.

the high quality version of the leia demo lives here:

• Like 1

I watched one video from that guy who turns other songs into "If written by Blink-182". One video. Now, my YouTube feed is full of his videos, I've blocked his channel now 3 separate times and the guy keeps coming back like a roach. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Ghent said:

Sorry for the ignorance, but was the song not originally titled “A New Hope”?

nope. it was always called "princess leia." labeled as such on the buddha promo tape, called that live from the stage 95–96.

only for dude ranch was it retitled "a new hope."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I watched one video from that guy who turns other songs into "If written by Blink-182". One video. Now, my YouTube feed is full of his videos, I've blocked his channel now 3 separate times and the guy keeps coming back like a roach. 

yay algorithms!