The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

was a good listen -- it's hard to learn new blink stuff when you're an old fan, but i guess i never realized cargo was bought by MCA and blink was brought along with it. i'd also never heard the story of brahm goodis forcing his dad to listen to buddha in his car lol.

also, mark got very candid about tom's first exit for the first time in a long time, more than he normally does. very interesting to hear, still so shocking. glad we're not alone: the band was stopped short in their prime in '05, and he feels that way too

• Like 4

11 hours ago, boxelder said:

was a good listen -- it's hard to learn new blink stuff when you're an old fan, but i guess i never realized cargo was bought by MCA and blink was brought along with it. i'd also never heard the story of brahm goodis forcing his dad to listen to buddha in his car lol.

also, mark got very candid about tom's first exit for the first time in a long time, more than he normally does. very interesting to hear, still so shocking. glad we're not alone: the band was stopped short in their prime in '05, and he feels that way too

Tom always comes accross like such a dick whenever mark tells that story, i genuinely believe tom thought he was bigger than the band at that point and wanted all the creative control himself..

He says these guys are his brothers then dumps them by his manager twice 😆...

He basically robbed us a killer album after untitled..

• Like 5
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, prankerd14 said:

Tom always comes accross like such a dick whenever mark tells that story, i genuinely believe tom thought he was bigger than the band at that point and wanted all the creative control himself..

He says these guys are his brothers then dumps them by his manager twice 😆...

He basically robbed us a killer album after untitled..

I think even if they stayed together that first time, the followup album still would have turned out similar to Neighborhoods.  Tom was not willing to meet up in person regularly to create that next album, and as Mark has said, they would have had to create the album over the internet, which ended up being exactly what happened when they got back together anyway. 

I would love to believe they had an album to top Untitled next, but realistically, it seems like we were always in store for some sort of Neighborhoods release regardless. And hey, it's a fine album, but Untitled is a far better album, at least in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, M!ke said:

I think even if they stayed together that first time, the followup album still would have turned out similar to Neighborhoods.  Tom was not willing to meet up in person regularly to create that next album, and as Mark has said, they would have had to create the album over the internet, which ended up being exactly what happened when they got back together anyway. 

I would love to believe they had an album to top Untitled next, but realistically, it seems like we were always in store for some sort of Neighborhoods release regardless. And hey, it's a fine album, but Untitled is a far better album, at least in my opinion. 

I don't think so. Imagine a blend of When Your Heart Stops BEating and We Don't Need To Whisper.

Mindblowing.

• Wow 1

22 hours ago, M!ke said:

I still remember being so shocked when they broke up after self titled, given the circumstances around that record, and how, by all three’s accounts, creatively in sync they were when making it. I mean at the time YouTube wasn’t even around yet, so not as many of us saw the onstage tension towards the end of the tour first hand. It felt so out of left field. It still even kinda feels that way now in retrospect. They had all the core ingredients for a band to expand and live even further. And yet, somehow, the pooch got screwed regardless.

I just didn’t see the writing on the wall because, as Mark essentially says here, they had just put out their magnum opus a little over a year prior to them imploding. Even without the band’s input via interviews on the creative process, you could just hear how genuine it was. And how creatively cohesive the band sounded at the time. It just didn’t seem like the end was near at all. They were seemingly firing on all cylinders and then…poof…”fuck it, we’re done…”

I can’t think of another band breakup that made my jaw drop in shock like that. The stun of that at the time was top notch. My then newly 15 year old body felt like it was hit by a freight train. I couldn’t believe it, and even all these years later, I still can’t believe it.

I remember finding out through trl so vividly. I had long stopped watching trl by this point, but stumbled upon the broadcast completely on accident flipping through channels.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2021 at 2:20 PM, M!ke said:

Tom had basically used up all his creativity on angels and airwaves first 2 albums at that point.. 

Neighbourhoods was ok but i felt there was alot of filler from tom at that point.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:43 PM, Adrianm14 said:

I listen to this podcast on the regular and I noticed they just dropped a Mark Hoppus episode ! 

Probably one of the most interesting musician podcasts out there so excited to dive in on this one. 

such a cringey sounding voice on this host. i don't think i can make it a full minute into this. the problem with podcasts is too many people sound like this kid. 

• Like 1