The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

6 minutes ago, boxelder said:

champ are we the same person? haha. i have the same view on SNL. it's almost always been extremely hit or miss, it's very much like following a sports team. i do however appreciate a blink reference on national TV.

Yeah SNL is weird like that. Some sketches I absolutely adore and rewatch, a lot of it is total dross though. 

16 minutes ago, Kay said:

Yeah SNL is weird like that. Some sketches I absolutely adore and rewatch, a lot of it is total dross though. 

it's definitely a very unusual show. sometimes the writing is terrible, sometimes it's great -- and none of that can matter unless the audience is tuned in. it's mainly tourists in the audience at nearly midnight on a saturday, and if they aren't laughing, it won't catch fire. plus it's always at war with having a broad sensibility and being for comedy nerds. for a sketch to do really well, like more cowbell back in the day, is surprising.

• Like 3

I like stand up and comedy movies but SNL or sketch comedy as a whole has never appealed to me, including MadTV. I can't remember the last time I actually saw an episode at airing time ... probably mid-90s. That isn't a diss, it's just not for me. I'm sure it's fine if you're into that sort of thing.

• Like 1

just was reading the new book by dave grohl, the storyteller, which is entertaining. i didn't know this until now, but apparently both foo fighters and blink share the same tour manager, gus brandt. i'd been reading this whole book wondering why he kept referring to a "gus" while on tour, then it hit me haha. don't know why that surprised me, but i found it interesting nonetheless.

blink gets exactly one mention, in the context of performing a big day out 00:

Other than Blink-182, we were without a doubt the nerdiest, goofiest, most annoying band on the bill. I mean, there were real heavyweights on this one—Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Primal Scream, just to name a few—and I can safely say that none of those dudes would ever be caught dead riding around on those dork-mobiles in broad daylight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I always forget about this clip. Still makes me laugh.

“What the fuck mum? We said no!”

Toms acting is actually the worst which always makes me laugh.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, boxelder said:

just was reading the new book by dave grohl, the storyteller, which is entertaining. i didn't know this until now, but apparently both foo fighters and blink share the same tour manager, gus brandt. i'd been reading this whole book wondering why he kept referring to a "gus" while on tour, then it hit me haha. don't know why that surprised me, but i found it interesting nonetheless.

blink gets exactly one mention, in the context of performing a big day out 00:

I saw an interview with Chris Shiflett like 10 years ago where he was showing around a studio and he said "this the room where I auditioned for Foo Fighters but it's also known for being the room where blink-182 decided to break up in 2005" so random haha

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 9:45 AM, Champ182 said:

I follow SNL similarly to how I follow Blink, almost like a sports team that I always root for even when they're down, and yeah that episode was an embarrassment. Never seen an entire episode just pander to someone like that.

Just caught up and watched last weeks episode. I don’t see how they pandered or did anything different than with any other host. Seemed like a typical/mediocre SNL episode to me.

The Travis/MGK bit was pretty funny but the skit as a whole sucked. I’ll take the 2021 blink SNL reference either way though lol. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Did they really ever decide that in a room? I thought Tom just stopped talking to them.

I kinda remember that they actually spent a few hours arguing in a room once and after that Tom stopped talking to them. I always thought it was a backstage, but I'm sure Chris Shiflett knows more about their break up because blink and FF have the same manager. If he said that it happened in that studio, I think he probably heard it from the manager. 

On 10/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, Kay said:

For those that want to see. Good to know the world sees his behaviour as cringe as we do haha

MGK is literally the guy who said “I am weed” and made Megan Fox think "wow this is HOT, let's date". Now there's a big chance Travis and KK are a little bit better than that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

I kinda remember that they actually spent a few hours arguing in a room once and after that Tom stopped talking to them. I always thought it was a backstage, but I'm sure Chris Shiflett knows more about their break up because blink and FF have the same manager. If he said that it happened in that studio, I think he probably heard it from the manager. 

Yeah, I think they were getting ready for the tsunami benefit show.

• Like 1