The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Just now, JarJarBlinks said:

I'll take 95% of Skiba quality over the tiny portion that Tom decides to care about in any given song.

The band on that stage for all their flaws is Blink-182 how they are meant to be. This era of blink will be looked back on as a side project similar to +44/AVA was rather than real Blink-182. 

The Skiba thing has run it's course, I think we all know that deep down whether you like it or not - just a question of whether they jack it in completely or have one more last dance with Tom. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

The band on that stage for all their flaws is Blink-182 how they are meant to be. This era of blink will be looked back on as a side project similar to +44/AVA was rather than real Blink-182. 

The Skiba thing has run it's course, I think we all know that deep down whether you like it or not - just a question of whether they jack it in completely or have one more last dance with Tom. 

I couldn’t really give a fuck about Skiba Blink. To me it’s not blink and I don’t count california or nine as blink. I don’t want Tom back either but to think we can have Blink without Tom is fucking mental. Tom and Mark cannot be replaced ffs. It’s not Blink and never will be. The band should have ended with neighbourhoods. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scott. said:

I couldn’t really give a fuck about Skiba Blink. To me it’s not blink and I don’t count california or nine as blink. I don’t want Tom back either but to think we can have Blink without Tom is fucking mental. Tom and Mark cannot be replaced ffs. It’s not Blink and never will be. The band should have ended with neighbourhoods. 

*DED

Wishing blink no longer existed is super weird imo. Even if I hated the new music, which I don’t, I’m still so glad I’ve been able to see my favorite band twice since Tom left. If it ended after DED we’d have had almost a decade of nothing by now. Don’t see how that’s in any way preferable to what we got.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Wishing blink no longer existed is super weird imo. Even if I hated the new music, which I don’t, I’m still so glad I’ve been able to see my favorite band twice since Tom left. If it ended after DED we’d have had almost a decade of nothing by now. Don’t see how that’s in any way preferable to what we got.

To british fans the live argument doesn't hold up so well. They tour the states way more than anywhere else and when they do come over here it's sparse dates, usually only festivals with super high prices. 

Without the live aspect, blink continuing with Skiba is kind of meaningless to me. I'm glad some younger fans have a 'gateway' to their music, so I can see that being a plus, and if it makes Mark and Travis happy then that's a plus as well, but apart from that if they'd stopped at Neighborhoods I'd probably feel the same as I do now about the band. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

It's like watching your favourite ever player in your sports team drag out their career, playing worse for worse teams and tarnishing their legacy.

I can't remember the last time I listened to California and I can barely remember half the songs off Nine despite me initially thinking it was alright, there was no replay value. 

Those albums might as well not exist and I honestly from a music recording perspective it would have been better if they never got back together, Untitled was perfect and would have been a fitting end.

Although I am glad they did in a way as I did get to see them three times during the Delonge reunion era.

• Like 3

Even without getting to see them live, you could just not listen to their new stuff instead of wishing they no longer existed. I don’t get that.

To me I’d rather have a slightly less-good blink-182 than no blink-182 at all. If the new stuff isn’t great I don’t have to listen, but the possibility of good new stuff is still exciting to me. Even if it’s just one good song on the whole album. If nothing else the discussion is always fun whenever a new album comes out, regardless of whether or not it’s that great. Though personally I do think NINE was great!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Even without getting to see them live, you could just not listen to their new stuff instead of wishing they no longer existed. I don’t get that.

To me I’d rather have a slightly less-good blink-182 than no blink-182 at all. If the new stuff isn’t great I don’t have to listen, but the possibility of good new stuff is still exciting to me. Even if it’s just one good song on the whole album. If nothing else the discussion is always fun whenever a new album comes out, regardless of whether or not it’s that great. Though personally I do think NINE was great!

I don’t think its a “prefer” situation and more of a “we get nothing from it” kind of attitude. 

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

people just like to gatekeep and be sour if something isn't exactly what they want.

Blink's appeal was always built around the friendship of Mark and Tom and the music they wrote was almost secondary to it (if the tongue in check or satirical humor doesn't work, half their songs don't either).  Even when it was sour, it was still based heavily around that.  Without it you just are banking on Mark coming up with something good enough or it feels a side project.  Yet they are marketing it as blink for the obvious money, but the appeal totally suffers for that. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Having this strange Blink Lite living on all these years later makes their old legacy "feel" less perfect in my own mind

For someone that's never understood what people mean by the "legacy" of a band and how it could be diminished, would you be kind to explain what you mean by that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

For someone that's never understood what people mean by the "legacy" of a band and how it could be diminished, would you be kind to explain what you mean by that?

The new stuff subconsciously soiling your enjoyment of their old material because of your view of the band today. Also recency bias. If blink stopped being a band today, ten years from now the most recent stuff holds more weight in your memory. Same way with sports players playing three years too long playing for a random team.

Ten years from now when we’re all distanced from the band, I expect all of the staunch supporters of this era to just be like yea we could have done without the skiba music. In ten years no one is going to listen to California or nine, if they even still do.

• Like 3

I’ll personally never be able to understand how not liking the new stuff can make you like the old stuff less. Always feels weird to me. The old stuff doesn’t change.

Say Anything are still one of my favourite bands but I haven’t listened to the either of the last two albums they released more than once because they were absolutely terrible. Still didn’t change how I felt about is a real boy then and still hasn’t now years later. Still glad they stayed on as a band because it let me see them live a few extra times too.

• Like 2

Yeah I’ve had the legacy debate before. I don’t care about it. Bad new stuff doesn’t ruin good old stuff for me. The only thing that would actually ruin their legacy in my eyes is if we found out Mark and Tom were actually pedophiles this entire time or something like that. But releasing new music that I don’t like as much as the old music doesn’t affect my love of the old music. This is why I’ve always been hoping for new Box Car Racer. Would it be as good as the first record? Almost certainly not. I don’t care though i’d still love to hear what they’d come up with today.

• Like 3

No one's asking for a perfect legacy, but when California - Deluxe - Nine is as many songs as Enema - Toypaj - Untitled, you start to feel painful.

Neighborhoods was supposed to be the ugly step sibling album.

I think mainly, people were very open to the idea of Matt, it's just the disappointment that came with what they came up with that's the main frustration. It's just a waste of time, they literally just keep hodgepodging generic pop punk trash in their 40s and using the name for outside songwriters to play with? It's just lame, but I get they would make +44 money at best without the blink name.

• Like 4