The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

On 11/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, twentytwenty said:

For someone that's never understood what people mean by the "legacy" of a band and how it could be diminished, would you be kind to explain what you mean by that?

Sure I can try! I fully admit it's not all that deep and I'm not trying to convince anybody to think this way, but I can try to explain how my brain looks at it haha.

For whatever reason, when I love a band I think of their career like an ongoing story. So the simplest analogy I can think of is if you're reading a book, and the first 7 chapters are fascinating and enjoyable and funny and meaningful, and then in the next chapters the author starts getting details wrong, or the dialogue doesn't really make sense, or the setting suddenly changes and the characters start doing things that don't fit with what they did earlier. It doesn't necessarily make the first parts of the story WORSE, those chapters can still be fascinating/enjoyable/funny/meaningful, but when you zoom out and judge it as a full story it feels less special.

It's not a perfect analogy at all, obviously albums can always be enjoyed as their own separate entities more than chapters of a book, but hopefully that angle makes a little sense haha.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Sure I can try! I fully admit it's not all that deep and I'm not trying to convince anybody to think this way, but I can try to explain how my brain looks at it haha.

For whatever reason, when I love a band I think of their career like an ongoing story. So the simplest analogy I can think of is if you're reading a book, and the first 7 chapters are fascinating and enjoyable and funny and meaningful, and then in the next chapters the author starts getting details wrong, or the dialogue doesn't really make sense, or the setting suddenly changes and the characters start doing things that don't fit with what they did earlier. It doesn't necessarily make the first parts of the story WORSE, those chapters can still be fascinating/enjoyable/funny/meaningful, but when you zoom out and judge it as a full story it feels less special.

It's not a perfect analogy at all, obviously albums can always be enjoyed as their own separate entities more than chapters of a book, but hopefully that angle makes a little sense haha.

That’s a great way of putting it. We grew up loving the band as a whole, and now that band means something very different as they have a large amount of material that no longer works for us and therefore the overall picture aint as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/kourtney-kardashian-and-travis-barker-shaded-by-his-ex-shanna-moakler-after-wearing-themed-costumes-for-halloween

don't know if this was posted but I thought it deserved some attention (i mean, what else is there to discuss?) 

Oh damn that’s tacky haha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patient #48273 said:

Also, it's definitely odd to get your fiancée to dress up as the character you named your daughter after.

Oh ew ew ew I didn’t even realise that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/5/2021 at 2:45 AM, Russel Coight said:

Sounds like the same normal spiel to me tbh. Find the time. Priorities. Etc.

I do think it’s definitely going to happen. Wouldn’t bank on something happening soon or there being something secret planned atm.

It's gonna happen, it's just a matter of time, and I say that as someone who truly could take Tom or leave him in regard to returning to the band at this point.  I think you're right that it will be awhile yet, but I think that's totally reasonable, Mark is still recovering, I don't think anyone is expecting or demanding them to just jump back into the studio.  But, if we're reading the writing on the wall, I see no reason that Tom wont perform in blink again in the coming years.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, M!ke said:

It's gonna happen, it's just a matter of time, and I say that as someone who truly could take Tom or leave him in regard to returning to the band at this point.  I think you're right that it will be awhile yet, but I think that's totally reasonable, Mark is still recovering, I don't think anyone is expecting or demanding them to just jump back into the studio.  But, if we're reading the writing on the wall, I see no reason that Tom wont perform in blink again in the coming years.

I’m guessing it will happen after AVAs album cycle. Which is, what, a year left or a little more? 

I mean I’d rather hear what blink comes up with next to follow up nine with Matt, as well as more AVA but that’s just me

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

I’m guessing it will happen after AVAs album cycle. Which is, what, a year left or a little more? 

I mean I’d rather hear what blink comes up with next to follow up nine with Matt, as well as more AVA but that’s just me

Blink still has all that stuff they recorded prior to Mark getting sick. Can’t imagine they’ll just bin it all so I think it’s likely we will get at the least one more skiba-182 release.