The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Just remembered a real blink lyric is “mom and dad they quite don’t understand it” and it’s throwing me into fits of rage. “Quite don’t?” What the fuck?? Why? “Don’t quite” would have fit just as well! What the fuck Tom! You’re ruining my life!!!

I’ve thought that before haha

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Just remembered a real blink lyric is “mom and dad they quite don’t understand it” and it’s throwing me into fits of rage. “Quite don’t?” What the fuck?? Why? “Don’t quite” would have fit just as well! What the fuck Tom! You’re ruining my life!!!

Tom's lack of respect for grammar has always bothered me so much lol

Last line of the first verse in Rite of Spring is unnecessarily trash:

"And as I held my mom would start to cry
I swore ourselves a better life"

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

lmaoooo i only just realized this recently! and then i was like... why wasn't that fixed? haha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ye. said:

Tom's lack of respect for grammar has always bothered me so much lol

Last line of the first verse in Rite of Spring is unnecessarily trash:

"And as I held my mom would start to cry
I swore ourselves a better life"

Im sorry

please forgive me

believe me if you could

believe me if you can , motherfucker

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Lyrics, poems, poetry etc, don't have to be grammatically correct, it's art. 

I think it was Max Martin who once said that you should never let the need for grammar ruin a song or something like that.

I can agree with that generally, but sometimes it's just lazy and the songwriter(s) could come up with an equally good (if not better) lyric that's grammatically correct if they actually put in a little effort.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I can agree with that generally, but sometimes it's just lazy and the songwriter(s) could come up with an equally good (if not better) lyric that's grammatically correct if they actually put in a little effort.

Well, yes, but they may not end up where they desired, phonetically speaking.

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

I think it was Max Martin who once said that you should never let the need for grammar ruin a song or something like that.

But Tom hasn’t done it for artistic reasons, he’s done it because he’s kinda dumb.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know if any of you is familiar with Dan Ozzi, but he's been hyping his new book for a while now. It came out a couple of weeks ago, it's about punk rock/pop punk and major labels and there is a big chapter dedicated to blink in the book. 

I'm curious about what he has to say about them, I was thinking about getting the book and wondering if he reached out to either Mark or Tom for the chapter about blink. In that case, it would be even more interesting. 

Edit: if you don't know him, he co-wrote Laura Jane Grace's book ("Tranny") and he's been writing about punk rock/emo music for years online. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

3 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I assume laziness with Tom simply because you can easily change some of his lines and it doesn't negatively affect the flow.

"And as I held my mom she'd start to cry
I swore for us better life"

this would work fine because Tom's lyrics are rarely smooth in the first place. Automatic is the most recent example of this; i like that song, but his delivery is so damn clunky

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ye. said:

I assume laziness with Tom simply because you can easily change some of his lines and it doesn't negatively affect the flow.

"And as I held my mom she'd start to cry
I swore for us better life"

this would work fine because Tom's lyrics are rarely smooth in the first place. Automatic is the most recent example of this; i like that song, but his delivery is so damn clunky

Yeah this is probably true.

What does he mean by “as I held”? I’ve never understood that line

The other one I loathe is in Soul Survivor. Tom sings the word “always” normally in the first verse and then pronounces it “alweeeze” in the second verse. It’s the same word in the same part of the verse and he pronounces it totally differently, and it’s not even to rhyme or anything. I hate it with all my heart lol

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

The other one I loathe is in Soul Survivor. Tom sings the word “always” normally in the first verse and then pronounces it “alweeeze” in the second verse. It’s the same word in the same part of the verse and he pronounces it totally differently, and it’s not even to rhyme or anything. I hate it with all my heart lol

He has so many little things like that, highly entertaining and infuriating.

“God invented chills” still makes me giggle. Bro if you believe in God then you believe he invented fucking everything, why do the chills matter?! 

Also wtf is a ferris wheel full of blue green eyes?!?

• Haha 2