The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Is this actually true? I know mark wrote guitar parts for all the albums but did he ever actually play them on the recordings? Source?

My source is my memory 😂 He said so on one of his video chat things during the neighborhoods era. It’s absolutely possible that he just tried to save Toms face for the fans, but I remember that he said so at least

Spoiler

Or maybe I dreamt it?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

My source is my memory 😂 He said so on one of his video chat things during the neighborhoods era. It’s absolutely possible that he just tried to save Toms face for the fans, but I remember that he said so at least

mark has confirmed that he has played guitar on blink albums. it's pretty easy to tell on neighborhoods if you know what to listen for.

• Like 4

It'd be cool to know which songs he's recorded guitar on for the pre-Neighborhoods albums. Weird that it's easy to tell if it's him playing guitar on Neighborhoods but on the previous blink albums, it's way more harder to tell. Maybe because of them not working as a proper band, the guitar tones on the Mark songs makes it more obvious.

He's recorded guitar on some California songs too but even on those ones it's hard to tell if it's him or Skiba. The only ones I'm aware of (because of interviews) are Teenage Satellites and Built This Pool. I'm guessing he recorded the guitar for Quarantine too, since it's been confirmed Skiba had no part of that song.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

mark has confirmed that he has played guitar on blink albums. it's pretty easy to tell on neighborhoods if you know what to listen for.

Off memory, he wrote and played Hearts All Gone, mh.1.2.34, Don't Leave Me, and a couple others. 

I swear he played the intro for Kaleidoscope too? Don't know about writing though.  I remember reading or hearing he had to play a handful of guitar because Tom being slow on the recording process/trading tracks.  I think only Don't Leave Me up until that point.

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

Yah some songs NH is a given, I meant pre NH. 

People were giving Tom shit for “not even playing all of the guitars“ on the album, whereas Mark downplayed it as “I’ve always done some guitar tracks on our albums, no biggie”, or something like that, if I remember correctly 

24 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

People were giving Tom shit for “not even playing all of the guitars“ on the album, whereas Mark downplayed it as “I’ve always done some guitar tracks on our albums, no biggie”, or something like that, if I remember correctly 

mark played guitar on untitled. and i'm pretty sure he said he did acoustic stuff on dude ranch too (intro to "dick lips" and bridge on "dammit").

18 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

mark played guitar on untitled. and i'm pretty sure he said he did acoustic stuff on dude ranch too (intro to "dick lips" and bridge on "dammit").

That’s cool to hear. Did he give a reason why? I’ve never played in bands serious enough to record or anything like that but why wouldn’t you use the guitarist to record the guitar parts? Probably something simple like Tom wasn’t available that day or whatever but just curious if a different reason was ever given.

39 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

That’s cool to hear. Did he give a reason why? I’ve never played in bands serious enough to record or anything like that but why wouldn’t you use the guitarist to record the guitar parts? Probably something simple like Tom wasn’t available that day or whatever but just curious if a different reason was ever given.

I think it depends on the ego of the members of said bands.

I can only speak of my own experience of course, but in my band when we’re recording, I don’t record all of the guitars myself even though I’m the guitarist, there’s scenarios when we’re riffing and trying to come up with different parts, or the bassist/drummer (we’re all multi instrumentalists so the skill levels match up) wants to try something different to what I did, it usually end up with them recording those parts instead of me.