The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

25 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I've used discord a few times and it just doesn't do it for me. How is it better than a message board?

you don't leave a comment on a page on a website and then come back five days later and see a reply, for one thing. conversations are active all the time. we do lots of things synchronously, live. and you can't really do that on a message board.

channels, DMs, group DMs.

inline image pasting, GIF animation and file attachment support, seamless experience across app and browser, on desktop or mobile.

integration with dozens of other services, including bot notifications.

robust formatting options.

no specific diss on this place, but the GUI sucks.

if you don't want to be on discord frequently, you don't have to. if you leave it alone it works very much like a message board. someone tags you, and you reply whenever you get around to seeing it.

overall though, i didn't grow up with the asynchronous world of message boards, so i suppose i have no attachment to or fondness for them. they are certainly useful for some things (FAQ / help forums, where you are asking questions and getting answers, all searchable) but for a sense of community i don't get them at all. i've met dozens of new friends from all over the world on discord, several of whom i've met IRL. can't say that for any message boards. ever.

TL;DR it's a searchable group DM with dozens of friends and mark.

31 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

you don't leave a comment on a page on a website and then come back five days later and see a reply, for one thing. conversations are active all the time. we do lots of things synchronously, live. and you can't really do that on a message board.

channels, DMs, group DMs.

inline image pasting, GIF animation and file attachment support, seamless experience across app and browser, on desktop or mobile.

integration with dozens of other services, including bot notifications.

robust formatting options.

no specific diss on this place, but the GUI sucks.

if you don't want to be on discord frequently, you don't have to. if you leave it alone it works very much like a message board. someone tags you, and you reply whenever you get around to seeing it.

overall though, i didn't grow up with the asynchronous world of message boards, so i suppose i have no attachment to or fondness for them. they are certainly useful for some things (FAQ / help forums, where you are asking questions and getting answers, all searchable) but for a sense of community i don't get them at all. i've met dozens of new friends from all over the world on discord, several of whom i've met IRL. can't say that for any message boards. ever.

TL;DR it's a searchable group DM with dozens of friends and mark.

Interesting points. I’ll get back to you in 5 days. Make sure you come back and check for a reply.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

In 20 years, Discord will be long forgotten, but blink-182online will still be here (perhaps with only two or three of us, but still).

Yeah like I'm glad Davey likes it and I know Discord is huge and works for a lot of people but it's weird for someone to shit on this place for it's friendship making abilities considering this place has been here for like twenty years and has literally built marriages, best men in marriages, etc. 

• Like 4

I definitely love message boards and have tons of nostalgia for the early/mid 00s when it seemed like every band had an active message board and a weirdo community to go along with it. The internet was such a healthier place back then, I think fandom in general was a lot healthier back then, and most of my online time was spent on message boards like this one (and AIM of course). It's shocking that Reddit has pretty much replaced the oldschool message boards for the most part because message boards are superior in every way to me. I guess they're less conducive to the quick hot-take comment structure that the internet is based on now. This place can feel like a ghost town at times when nothing is happening in Blink world, but I'm very glad it exists!

Anyway, I have nothing against Discord, I think I tried to navigate Mark's once and ended up thinking eh, it's just not for me. It sounds like it's kinda similar to a giant public Slack though, is that right?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

It's shocking that Reddit has pretty much replaced the oldschool message boards for the most part because message boards are superior in every way to me.

Same. I'm someone who likes to read or at least skim every message in a conversation and reddit makes that really inconvenient. If it's a subreddit you're only casually interested in or one with so much content you couldn't possibly see it all, their format makes sense, but for smaller subreddits, it can be really annoying and a message board would be so much better.

• Like 3

I think it’s volume of people. Like forums didn’t have potentially thousands of people posting but reddit is just subreddits full of people, much harder to build a rapport and that’s how I feel about big Discords. Smaller discords are fine though and feel similar to forums to me.

51 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Same. I'm someone who likes to read or at least skim every message in a conversation and reddit makes that really inconvenient. If it's a subreddit you're only casually interested in or one with so much content you couldn't possibly see it all, their format makes sense, but for smaller subreddits, it can be really annoying and a message board would be so much better.

I love Reddit.  First day on Discord I got pre-emptively scolded to NOT BUG MARK (like I was going to try to talk to him in the first place lmao).

It also seemed like it's generally even a younger crowd than normal?  I dunno, seemed odd. I'll take CC over heckin' but that's just me.

• Like 1

i found mark's response to those videos being ripped kinda cringe. especially the "omg. this is why i don't even want to do things like this" and "i was wearing workout clothes" comments. sounds super insecure. 

never checked out the discord. i like the information and content that gets leaked from there but the overall experience sounds weird as hell to me. i prefer having ongoing banter with guys from kansas for 15 years straight. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

i found mark's response to those videos being ripped kinda cringe. especially the "omg. this is why i don't even want to do things like this" and "i was wearing workout clothes" comments. sounds super insecure. 

never checked out the discord. i like the information and content that gets leaked from there but the overall experience sounds weird as hell to me. i prefer having ongoing banter with guys from kansas for 15 years straight. 

Yeah I'm totally fine with his wishes, I sympathize with him just wanting to knock some rust off every now and then without extra judgement of randos watching on YouTube. Not everything has to be a "thing." But if he just wants it to be a chill non-committal spur of the moment thing he does in workout clothes for Discord eyes only then why announce/link to it on Twitter and assign "stream playlist organizers" to choose his setlists in advance and stuff?

I dunno, I'm sure he's feeling pretty private and spooked from cancer and isn't quite sure how public he wants his life to be at the moment. I get it. Still seems a little silly to draw the line with this type of thing though.

• Like 2

to add to the discord convo - i don't think many people here give a shit about having super minor web interactions with mark.

especially when you have to constantly lurk some chat room type thing and abide by a strict set of social rules to ensure that it continues to happen. it sounds obsessive, fake, and not particularly rewarding. 

• Like 6

I think the reason why Mark's Discord has a lot of younger members (compared to the average blink fan) is because most people get over the urge to interact with celebrities sometime in their teens or early adulthood. I think Mark's great, but I wouldn't go out of my way to chat with him.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1