The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Just now, Patient #48273 said:

I think the reason why Mark's Discord has a lot of younger members (compared to the average blink fan) is because most people get over the urge to interact with celebrities sometime in their teens or early adulthood. I think Mark's great, but I wouldn't go out of my way to chat with him.

I agree whole-heartedly! It was a pleasant surprise having him join the zoom call that time but that’s about as far as my interest goes, I don’t have any desire to want to get to know him.

• Like 1

i also don't like the implication that you must tip-toe around mark on the discord. there's not a whole lot of room for critical thinking in a room like that, which is okay -- it's nice to have a positive space. but you could never debate the decision to replace tom with matt, or criticize the decision to work with songwriters. while it might seem negative, that type of interaction comes from a deep love of the band and it's completely valid. reddit is a similar concept to old-school message boards but like discord, it's used by pretty much everyone and so much gets lost in the noise.

that and constantly being 'on', the never-ending conversation of discord, just doesn't appeal to me. smartphones already made it to where we're constantly online, i don't need to sit there and clamor for mark's next message.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I agree whole-heartedly! It was a pleasant surprise having him join the zoom call that time but that’s about as far as my interest goes, I don’t have any desire to want to get to know him.

That Zoom call was one of the highlights of my life, nocap. I must have had a shitty life.

32 minutes ago, Thibaut182 said:

Without Blink 182 Online, I wouldn't have met some of the most amazing people that are part of the community here (I truly cherish this place and I don't regret at all signing up on this legendary forum ❤️ )

Especially @boxelder who created the Timeline website and trusted me with everything linked to it (you're a legend!)

@Elisa (that I met IRL and is an absolute sweetheart) and @_Bagel (the nicest, handsome and coolest English person I know) : everyone here is so nice and the community isn't toxic as well (that's the most important element that differ us from all of those Blink fanpages on Instagram)!

Blink 182 Online for Ever !!!

You beautiful French bastard! You form the tapestry of this place. Blink 182 Online forever, you're goddamn right x

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Kay said:

Yeah like I'm glad Davey likes it and I know Discord is huge and works for a lot of people but it's weird for someone to shit on this place for it's friendship making abilities considering this place has been here for like twenty years and has literally built marriages, best men in marriages, etc. 

Yeah it’s a weird thing for Davey acting like discord is superior because he’s met several people irl from there and hasn’t done that here. That’s your fault dude. I’ve met quite a few people from here irl and I know many others have too. If you can’t make friends here that’s on you not an issue with this place/message boards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kay said:

it's weird for someone to shit on this place for it's friendship making abilities considering this place has been here for like twenty years and has literally built marriages, best men in marriages, etc. 

did i do that? read back through. i talked about my own personal experiences. i missed the bulletin board era. so i never found a community on one. not a single line of text shat upon this place kay, that's hardly fair of you to say. patient asked why i like discord and i answered.

• Like 1

This reflects a broader pattern where, in order to be buddies with Mark, we have to kinda discredit what's going on here. 

17 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

Without Blink 182 Online, I wouldn't have met some of the most amazing people that are part of the community here (I truly cherish this place and I don't regret at all signing up on this legendary forum ❤️ )

Especially @boxelder who created the Timeline website and trusted me with everything linked to it (you're a legend!)

@Elisa (that I met IRL and is an absolute sweetheart) and @_Bagel (the nicest, handsome and coolest English person I know) : everyone here is so nice and the community isn't toxic as well (that's the most important element that differ us from all of those Blink fanpages on Instagram)!

Blink 182 Online for Ever !!!

Mon ami ❤

• Love 1

18 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I think the reason why Mark's Discord has a lot of younger members (compared to the average blink fan) is because most people get over the urge to interact with celebrities sometime in their teens or early adulthood. I think Mark's great, but I wouldn't go out of my way to chat with him.

I think it's also because younger people are more likely to accept the current popular social media platforms while us olds just want to chat casually on a message board. As a teenager I excitedly signed up for every new big social media platform. Now I just stick with what I'm familiar with, which isn't Discord. I don't care anymore lol

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

I'm so stuck in my ways that I just figured out how to use Reddit like last year and now apparently its old fashioned. Yikes, i'll stick to blink online lol

If anything Reddit feels like it's from 1995. I guess the appeal is having a million topics worth of "message boards" in one place, but the actual experience of reading Reddit sucks in my opinion.

• Like 3

I think Discord is popular with the younger crowd because it presses our instant gratification button (not that this button is unique to young people in any way, but still). You reply and get replies immediately. An online conversation that’s happening in real time holds your attention because it mimics what you’d be experiencing in your real life; except it /is/ your real life, because the lines between your online persona and your offline persona are increasingly blurry. Combine it with the idea that social media in general is designed to reward us for engaging in surface-level, short-term interaction—to people who didn’t experience life before today’s Internet, there’s no more logical place where you’d want to spend your time and where you /do/ end up spending your time.

• Like 3

I’ve been in some Discord servers that discourage low-effort posting, and as a result the conversations I’ve read on there are definitely closer to the ones we have on here. So it can be done, but it takes a particular type of people.

I lurk on Reddit, but only in specific subreddits. It’s good for memes. The number of single straight white guys on Reddit can be quite suffocating though. There are only so many “unpopular opinion: women can be shitty too” and “Men of Reddit: what’s something women do that is actually awful?” posts one can tolerate. You don’t need to say “men of Reddit”. Just say Reddit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I think Discord is popular with the younger crowd because it presses our instant gratification button (not that this button is unique to young people in any way, but still). You reply and get replies immediately. An online conversation that’s happening in real time holds your attention because it mimics what you’d be experiencing in your real life; except it /is/ your real life, because the lines between your online persona and your offline persona are increasingly blurry. Combine it with the idea that social media in general is designed to reward us for engaging in surface-level, short-term interaction—to people who didn’t experience life before today’s Internet, there’s no more logical place where you’d want to spend your time and where you /do/ end up spending your time.

Which is odd because we’ve been online longer than your generation.

20 minutes ago, Nasa said:

What’s odd?

I don’t remember the point I was going to make … something about thinking immersion would be less with a generation that didn’t know an alternative. Like, alternatives would be more sought out or something, blah blah blah, who knows.