The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Nasa said:

I’ve been in some Discord servers that discourage low-effort posting, and as a result the conversations I’ve read on there are definitely closer to the ones we have on here. So it can be done, but it takes a particular type of people.

I lurk on Reddit, but only in specific subreddits. It’s good for memes. The number of single straight white guys on Reddit can be quite suffocating though. There are only so many “unpopular opinion: women can be shitty too” and “Men of Reddit: what’s something women do that is actually awful?” posts one can tolerate. You don’t need to say “men of Reddit”. Just say Reddit.

I think you’re on the wrong part of Reddit because I’m there quite often as of late and I’ve never seen what you’re describing 

• Wow 1

5 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

I think you’re on the wrong part of Reddit because I’m there quite often as of late and I’ve never seen what you’re describing 

I see posts like what she’s describing on the popular tab, which is the front page on browser, all the time. It’s always on like r/askreddit or r/askmen or some shit. I don’t sub to those subs but they always pop up in the popular stuff.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I think it's also because younger people are more likely to accept the current popular social media platforms while us olds just want to chat casually on a message board. As a teenager I excitedly signed up for every new big social media platform. Now I just stick with what I'm familiar with, which isn't Discord. I don't care anymore lol

discord skews both younger and older. i've been using it for work for the past year and that has been my experience. the olds like it because it reminds them of IRC from the 90s. the youths like it because they grew up gaming on it the past few years.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:13 AM, Patient #48273 said:

I think the reason why Mark's Discord has a lot of younger members (compared to the average blink fan) is because most people get over the urge to interact with celebrities sometime in their teens or early adulthood. I think Mark's great, but I wouldn't go out of my way to chat with him.

the overwhelming majority of active people on mark's server are in their mid-20s to mid-30s.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:29 AM, boxelder said:

that and constantly being 'on', the never-ending conversation of discord, just doesn't appeal to me. smartphones already made it to where we're constantly online, i don't need to sit there and clamor for mark's next message.

this is really not what it's like, at all.

45 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

It depends on the subreddits you frequent, in addition to the popular tab.

16 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I'll take your word for it. I've never been there and I was just building off of someone else's impression of the demographics there.

and to be CLEAR yet again, i never "shit" on this place. it's like people didn't even read what i fucking wrote, you know? i said i missed the message board generation, so it was never a community thing for me. simple. and when i said i've not met any people IRL i also, again, said "message boards" not 182online.

it's almost as if there is an explicit effort to misunderstand people. or maybe it's just trolling. fuck it.

3 hours ago, Nasa said:

I think Discord is popular with the younger crowd because it presses our instant gratification button (not that this button is unique to young people in any way, but still). You reply and get replies immediately. An online conversation that’s happening in real time holds your attention because it mimics what you’d be experiencing in your real life; except it /is/ your real life, because the lines between your online persona and your offline persona are increasingly blurry. Combine it with the idea that social media in general is designed to reward us for engaging in surface-level, short-term interaction—to people who didn’t experience life before today’s Internet, there’s no more logical place where you’d want to spend your time and where you /do/ end up spending your time.

I think this is why I don't like it. I like that I can post here casually and it will be understood that I won't respond immediately to whatever replies or quotes I get. The fact that it isn't real time makes it better for me. I can read at my own pace, reply at my own pace, and take my time to write up a proper response to things when I feel like I need extra time to properly get my thoughts out, without a stream of messages zooming by in the meantime. As I've gotten older I've increasingly disliked being able to be contacted 24/7 and I've started letting text messages build up in my inbox and letting calls go unanswered because I don't want to be on all the time. It was so much fun to be connected with my friends 24/7 as a teenager but now I just want time to breathe and I wish people couldn't contact me whenever they wanted. A message board fits the way I prefer to communicate much better than a constantly updating mass chatroom ever will. Though even when I was younger I never liked chatrooms. It just feels like the most chaotic way to have discussions.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

and to be CLEAR yet again, i never "shit" on this place. it's like people didn't even read what i fucking wrote, you know? i said i missed the message board generation, so it was never a community thing for me. simple. and when i said i've not met any people IRL i also, again, said "message boards" not 182online.

it's almost as if there is an explicit effort to misunderstand people. or maybe it's just trolling. fuck it.

I didn't think you were shitting on this place, but we do love to have a rival blink community to compare ourselves to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

discord skews both younger and older. i've been using it for work for the past year and that has been my experience. the olds like it because it reminds them of IRC from the 90s. the youths like it because they grew up gaming on it the past few years.

Oh yeah I know Discord is used by all ages, I just meant that teens and 20-somethings are more drawn to staying up to date with the currently trending social media platforms than someone like me, an extremely old man who hasn't been in my 20s for two whole months now!

57 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

and to be CLEAR yet again, i never "golly gosh darned" on this place. it's like people didn't even read what i hecking wrote, you know? i said i missed the message board generation, so it was never a community thing for me. simple. and when i said i've not met any people IRL i also, again, said "message boards" not 182online.

it's almost as if there is an explicit effort to misunderstand people. or maybe it's just trolling. fudge nugget it.

Fixed your post for you. Please watch your language. This is our house. Be polite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

I see posts like what she’s describing on the popular tab, which is the front page on browser, all the time. It’s always on like r/askreddit or r/askmen or some shit. I don’t sub to those subs but they always pop up in the popular stuff.

1 hour ago, Nasa said:

It depends on the subreddits you frequent, in addition to the popular tab.

I quoted you both because the answer is for both at the same time:

Yeah, I get it. As it happens, it looks like it’s me that don’t use it the “right” way, not you, so I just miss those kind of posts. 

The way I use Reddit is I google the topics I’m looking for and then add Reddit after it so I find it right away. Because of this, I’ve never been on the popular tab and such.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I think this is why I don't like it. I like that I can post here casually and it will be understood that I won't respond immediately to whatever replies or quotes I get. The fact that it isn't real time makes it better for me. I can read at my own pace, reply at my own pace, and take my time to write up a proper response to things when I feel like I need extra time to properly get my thoughts out, without a stream of messages zooming by in the meantime. As I've gotten older I've increasingly disliked being able to be contacted 24/7 and I've started letting text messages build up in my inbox and letting calls go unanswered because I don't want to be on all the time. It was so much fun to be connected with my friends 24/7 as a teenager but now I just want time to breathe and I wish people couldn't contact me whenever they wanted. A message board fits the way I prefer to communicate much better than a constantly updating mass chatroom ever will. Though even when I was younger I never liked chatrooms. It just feels like the most chaotic way to have discussions.

i greatly sympathize with this position. i live my life in a very similar way, actually.

this is probably because i use discord for work, but for me it's like slack. it's always open on my second monitor and i ignore it most of the time unless someone tags or DMs.

and i know there is this misapprehension that it's just a bunch of stans waiting around on mark's every breath. it's really not like that. everyone chats with each other and mark stops by and says hi from time to time. the two of us mostly talk in the disney channel, like he tagged me last week when he found some pictures of his mom as a young girl at the park in 1956 and wanted to know what was behind her in the frontierland pic. stuff like that.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Fixed your post for you. Please watch your language. This is our house. Be polite.

this made me laugh out loud. good show russ.

in fairness to those people, swearing isn't "forbidden" and you won't get hassled for it. the "heck" thing is more of an inside joke. it's a community thing.