The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

i greatly sympathize with this position. i live my life in a very similar way, actually.

this is probably because i use discord for work, but for me it's like slack. it's always open on my second monitor and i ignore it most of the time unless someone tags or DMs.

and i know there is this misapprehension that it's just a bunch of stans waiting around on mark's every breath. it's really not like that. everyone chats with each other and mark stops by and says hi from time to time. the two of us mostly talk in the disney channel, like he tagged me last week when he found some pictures of his mom as a young girl at the park in 1956 and wanted to know what was behind her in the frontierland pic. stuff like that.

If Mark’s Discord would have been around when I was a teenager I would have been all over it. I’m just tired now and Discord is a little overwhelming for me haha. I liked when he used to pop in on the blink-182 collectors Facebook group. Again, it’s mostly just that chatroom-style isn’t my preference. If I could be a part of a community with mark in a message board style I’d definitely enjoy that. Yellowcard used to have an official message board that the band members would actually post on and that was great fun for me, but it went offline.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Again, it’s mostly just that chatroom-style isn’t my preference.

there you go. i grew up with the chat room (IRC) format in the 90s, so it's like coming home for me. i did not grow up with message boards, so they are a bit odd for me. i never disliked it here, but the reason i post far less is that once i got on the discord, i was like, this is more like it, this is my internets.

• Like 2

I also was on chatrooms first and foremost and was 'meh' about it. Discords like Mark's move too fast, I don't know how people have proper conversations on them. Same with the Red Dead Online discord and others I've tried to join, it's just an overwhelming amount of fast posting and it's difficult to have a decent back and forth going.

I'm on a Discord that's only like 10 active people and that's way, way more comfortable for me. As much as this board has slowed down I still appreciate that aspect of it. I like when messageboards are busy but I've never been big on very super active ones either for the same reason. 

Reddit I just don't often interact with, I read but do not comment, because it's mostly noise.

I do know what Nasa's talking about regarding Reddit, there's a lot of bottom dweller shit going on there, as well as all the subreddits for LGBT people being full of straight dudes privately messaging girls to try and get their rocks off and/or harass them. Reddit is kind of a hole. 

16 hours ago, Brannigan said:

Care to elaborate?

Design/aesthetic-wise it's just walls of plain text, harder to differentiate between posters, the upvoting/downvoting system is unique but I prefer reading things chronologically, etc. Classic message boards have much more personality and ease of communicating in my experience.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i greatly sympathize with this position. i live my life in a very similar way, actually.

this is probably because i use discord for work, but for me it's like slack. it's always open on my second monitor and i ignore it most of the time unless someone tags or DMs.

and i know there is this misapprehension that it's just a bunch of stans waiting around on mark's every breath. it's really not like that. everyone chats with each other and mark stops by and says hi from time to time. the two of us mostly talk in the disney channel, like he tagged me last week when he found some pictures of his mom as a young girl at the park in 1956 and wanted to know what was behind her in the frontierland pic. stuff like that.

Is it weird that I would honestly rather talk to Mark about Disneyland than blink lol? The things I'd like to know about blink he would never disclose anyway, so it would be a mostly fake conversation and the power dynamic would be uncomfortable. A super fan talking to the boss... sounds awkward and fake. One party (me) has to blatantly kiss ass and walk on thin ice not to say the wrong thing and the other party (Mark) has to pretend that the underling fanboy (me) is an equal. 🤢

I'd rather just hear his thoughts on the upcoming Toontown renovation

8 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Is it weird that I would honestly rather talk to Mark about Disneyland than blink lol? The things I'd like to know about blink he would never disclose anyway, so it would be a mostly fake conversation and the power dynamic would be uncomfortable. A super fan talking to the boss... sounds awkward and fake. One party (me) has to blatantly kiss ass and walk on thin ice not to say the wrong thing and the other party (Mark) has to pretend that the underling fanboy (me) is an equal. 🤢

I'd rather just hear his thoughts on the upcoming Toontown renovation

Haha I bet he feels the exact same way

14 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I think this is why I don't like it. I like that I can post here casually and it will be understood that I won't respond immediately to whatever replies or quotes I get. The fact that it isn't real time makes it better for me. I can read at my own pace, reply at my own pace, and take my time to write up a proper response to things when I feel like I need extra time to properly get my thoughts out, without a stream of messages zooming by in the meantime. As I've gotten older I've increasingly disliked being able to be contacted 24/7 and I've started letting text messages build up in my inbox and letting calls go unanswered because I don't want to be on all the time. It was so much fun to be connected with my friends 24/7 as a teenager but now I just want time to breathe and I wish people couldn't contact me whenever they wanted. A message board fits the way I prefer to communicate much better than a constantly updating mass chatroom ever will. Though even when I was younger I never liked chatrooms. It just feels like the most chaotic way to have discussions.

Same, that’s why I don’t really use Discord. There’s a growing anti-always-being-online movement against the hold that social media has on our attention anyway, so we’re not alone. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Remember when blink-182 had an official message board after the reunion announcement? I registered there, maybe posted once, but I was already a member here and this board was way better. That message board certainly didn't last long.

They had a message board before it as well, I was there 

• Like 1

It always weirds me out when I encounter the "always online" types that will respond to you INSTANTLY upon receiving a message. I'm from the era where its ok to let a message simmer for a few minutes (at least) before responding.. I mean you wouldn't want to look like a loser who has nothing better to do right?

That mentality is long gone.

Just now, Ghent said:

It always weirds me out when I encounter the "always online" types that will respond to you INSTANTLY upon receiving a message. I'm from the era where its ok to let a message simmer for a few minutes (at least) before responding.. I mean you wouldn't want to look like a loser who has nothing better to do right?

That mentality is long gone.

You missed me when I was gone.