The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

just based on mark and travis's social media posts over the last year and the fact that they scrapped the new album which was labeled as "almost finished," i think skiba is absolutely out of the band. 

i'd bet mark offered him the opportunity to stand near the back of the stage with a guitar but he respectfully declined. as he should. 

also, with all the pop punk success travis has had as a producer recently, i think he wants the ultimate comeback with blink to further solidify his status/legacy. he knows what they tried with skiba/feldmann isn't it. 

4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Kinda sad though that it seems to always take one of the band members almost dying for the band to come back. If this happens, they'll probably split up again in a couple years, and then a few years later Tom will fall off a cliff or something and miraculously survive it, and then they'll get back together again.

I made a similar comment when someone mentioned the chances of a Dude Ranch Reunion show.

Seeing marks story just now and acknowledging a Tom based ava heavy blink song from neighborhoods just made me realize how desperate I am for this to happen. I feel like I haven’t gotten any good new music from the bands I love since the pandemic started and I’ve been listening to music a lot less. I know we have so many problems with Tom, but this would mean a lot to people if this happened and we got another new album.

Mark is not an asshole so he wouldn't only offer Matt a spot at the back of the stage with a guitar. Matt kept his band alive, Mark will respect that. Matt is definitely smart enough though to realise that the attention would almost completely be focused on the 3 others and likely step aside of his own accord.

I still have hope for the 4piece. Tom back likely means no Feldmann. We could get a fully unleashed Matt Skiba bouncing ideas of a reinspired Tom Delonge and Mark Hoppus. Those songs could be something absolutely amazing.

7 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Mark is not an asshole so he wouldn't only offer Matt a spot at the back of the stage with a guitar. Matt kept his band alive, Mark will respect that. Matt is definitely smart enough though to realise that the attention would almost completely be focused on the 3 others and likely step aside of his own accord.

I still have hope for the 4piece. Tom back likely means no Feldmann. We could get a fully unleashed Matt Skiba bouncing ideas of a reinspired Tom Delonge and Mark Hoppus. Those songs could be something absolutely amazing.

I think regardless of if Tom returns or not, Mark will approach the next album reinspired, wanting only the band to write most, if not all, of the album. 

I mean if everything that he's gone through personally, in addition to all the major world events, in the time since Nine isn't enough inspiration to write on his own for the band again, then I don't think anything could bring him back to that again at that point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wannabe corn dog said:

just based on mark and travis's social media posts over the last year and the fact that they scrapped the new album which was labeled as "almost finished," i think skiba is absolutely out of the band. 

Considering Mark told GQ the following only 3 months ago in regard to the question of what Blink-182 might look like now that he's cancer-free: "We haven't really talked about that, but I'm open to anything in the future,” said Hoppus. “I don't know how that would work if it's all four of us. Like we're all going to live in the same house again?”" I'd hold off on that assumption you have there.

It sure sounds like Mark is interested in keeping Skiba around if Tom returns.  He envisions it potentially working as a four piece.  I know it's not much to go on, but it's the most we really have to draw on, beyond vague social media posts and the fact that they scrapped the album (which to me, I'd argue is a point for Tom returning but not necessarily booting Skiba, they don't want to release a whole bunch of new material without Tom, if he's eager to get back to work on blink).

Of course by no means is that a guarantee that will happen either.  And I think that's my point, we don't know, we can speculate, but there is no good proof yet of what the future of the band will look like in regard to if Tom does return and what would happen with Skiba.

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

Didn’t he say literally he hadn’t felt like playing at all let alone writing? At this point I’m not sure any new blink is likely.

He just said the other day that he's finally feeling the desire to play and make music again, which he said he hasn't felt since before his cancer. 

Super, super minor and probably means absolutely nothing but Travis's drum tech still referred to Matt as a blink member a week ago when he wished him a happy bday. I assume he works with Travis pretty consistently since Travis is always doing performances with MGK or Avril or whoever the fuck else at the moment unless he's only involved in the big tours. But if he's around Travis all the time i feel like he'd have a bit of an idea at whats going on and if he knew Matt was out he wouldn't bother mentioning/tagging blink in his post.

Or he has no idea of anything. I have no idea how involved a drum tech is and whether he does anything with these smaller shows Travis is doing. Could mean absolutely nothing.

26 minutes ago, Kay said:

Didn’t he say literally he hadn’t felt like playing at all let alone writing? At this point I’m not sure any new blink is likely.

Yeah. I think the people that seem to think they've been secretly recording are getting their hopes up a bit too high. 

Talking and making plans is different and that definitely could have taken place.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Yeah. I think the people that seem to think they've been secretly recording are getting their hopes up a bit too high. 

Talking and making plans is different and that definitely could have taken place.

Yea I don’t think they’ve been secretly recording. It doesn’t seem like Tom’s been doing anything since the ava tour ended except for post-production on his movie. But making plans for the next two years together behind the scenes? I think that’s definitely possible.

Also can mark even do a 40 show tour performing 90 minutes every night? It doesn’t sound like he considers himself well enough to do something like that or to be booking shows and think hopefully he’ll have the fitness needed in six months. I doubt the planned reunion tour Jason is discussing is blink. Maybe a couple one offs in major markets to test his performance ability later this year?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, M!ke said:

"We haven't really talked about that, but I'm open to anything in the future,” said Hoppus. “I don't know how that would work if it's all four of us. Like we're all going to live in the same house again?”" I'd hold off on that assumption you have there.It sure sounds like Mark is interested in keeping Skiba around if Tom returns.  He envisions it potentially working as a four piece.

Even if Mark is interested in that, it doesn't mean the others are. Tom is Tom (no explanation needed) and Skiba is a frontman who is successful on his own terms. As a fan of his for a very long time, I cannot see him wanting to take a gig that leaves him awkwardly in the shadow of somebody else when he could just go back to Trio full time. I'm sure he knows that fans would just prefer the original lineup anyway and respects that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Yea I don’t think they’ve been secretly recording. It doesn’t seem like Tom’s been doing anything since the ava tour ended except for post-production on his movie. But making plans for the next two years together behind the scenes? I think that’s definitely possible.

Also can mark even do a 40 show tour performing 90 minutes every night? It doesn’t sound like he considers himself well enough to do something like that or to be booking shows and think hopefully he’ll have the fitness needed in six months. I doubt the planned reunion tour Jason is discussing is blink. Maybe a couple one offs in major markets to test his performance ability later this year?

Yep. I think you’ve pretty much nailed it here.

• Like 1

I can’t help but think that if Tom does come back, blink won’t be a regular thing anymore. He still has AVA, he still has his movies, he still has his aliens. New blink music and tours will likely be far and few between.

It would be interesting if they kept rotating Matt and Tom in and out just to keep things going lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

also, with all the pop punk success travis has had as a producer recently, i think he wants the ultimate comeback with blink to further solidify his status/legacy. he knows what they tried with skiba/feldmann isn't it. 

Does he though?  That was so Travis influenced with Feldmann and being a much bigger influence on the sound.  Travis is clearly open to Tom returning though, so there's that. 

I think Travis is open to any new music from blink, good or bad tbh, as long as it's more anything for him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I can’t help but think that if Tom does come back, blink won’t be a regular thing anymore. He still has AVA, he still has his movies, he still has his aliens. New blink music and tours will likely be far and few between.

It would be interesting if they kept rotating Matt and Tom in and out just to keep things going lol 

This is my biggest worry too. Tom obviously isn’t done with everything else he has going on. He won’t commit to blink full time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

anymore?

Matt talking about blink from 2:50.

He spoke to Mark last week. Says the stuff they worked on earlier has been shelved. When he mentions “greater things taking precedent” seems to be referring to Mark’s illness.

Either Mark has lied to Matt about him working with Tom for a OG reunion or Matt’s just pretending he doesn’t know anything to keep it a secret. But there’s also the likely chance that Matt is still in the band and they’re waiting for Mark to be 100% before they move forward.

• Like 3