The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 hours ago, kibbles said:

Really cool Interview with Rick Devoe about blink.

This was so good but always sad.   It's crazy that he thought TOYPAJ was ultra dark and way too intense for fans when he first heard it.

Rick was definitely part of the heart that kept the blink magic alive while it had it.  It's pretty obvious the ultimate killer of the band was not just Boxcar itself happening, but bringing Travis onto Boxcar.  Mark could have looked past it? Maybe?  I don't know if that would have done anything other than give Tom the greenlight to do more Boxcare/Ava and less and less blink and prolong a problem.

32 minutes ago, Here I am, chorus in a Can said:

This was so good but always sad.   It's crazy that he thought TOYPAJ was ultra dark and way too intense for fans when he first heard it.

Rick was definitely part of the heart that kept the blink magic alive while it had it.  It's pretty obvious the ultimate killer of the band was not just Boxcar itself happening, but bringing Travis onto Boxcar.  Mark could have looked past it? Maybe?  I don't know if that would have done anything other than give Tom the greenlight to do more Boxcare/Ava and less and less blink and prolong a problem.

Maybe. I think Rick is kind of bullshitting them by saying it was "too dark". really, I think he just wanted them follow up the lightning in the bottle that was Enema of the State and to be as successful and safe as possible. So while that led to them constructing some very solid pop hits (Rock Show, First Date), it made them (Tom more so) feel creatively stifled and led to BCR and Untitled and eventually break up. Not entirely his fault, but it's interesting to think back on if TOYPAJ was more of a slump, would untitled have been a thing at all? It would certainly change the narrative. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Maybe. I think Rick is kind of bullshitting them by saying it was "too dark". really, I think he just wanted them follow up the lightning in the bottle that was Enema of the State and to be as successful and safe as possible. So while that led to them constructing some very solid pop hits (Rock Show, First Date), it made them (Tom more so) feel creatively stifled and led to BCR and Untitled and eventually break up. Not entirely his fault, but it's interesting to think back on if TOYPAJ was more of a slump, would untitled have been a thing at all? It would certainly change the narrative. 

Yeah that's true, he's largely the reason for First Date. 

I think the final note of the podcast was true though. 'it was all bound to happen'

Maybe not in the same exact order, but blink got largely famous because of Rick pushing them, constantly putting themselves out there, and then getting eventually noticed by Finn.. Rick kept making them tour their butts off, Tom hated touring and fame sort of got to him the most.

52 minutes ago, Here I am, chorus in a Can said:

Yeah that's true, he's largely the reason for First Date. 

I think the final note of the podcast was true though. 'it was all bound to happen'

Maybe not in the same exact order, but blink got largely famous because of Rick pushing them, constantly putting themselves out there, and then getting eventually noticed by Finn.. Rick kept making them tour their butts off, Tom hated touring and fame sort of got to him the most.

Finn "noticed" blink? Wouldn't they have hired him?

21 minutes ago, Here I am, chorus in a Can said:

I'm clearly possibly confused here, I thought Finn had just done Green Days album and it some sort of notoriety was needed to get on his backlog or higher cost at the least. Either way, I'm bowing out here.

He probably had a higher price tag, sure but money talks and the label pays. Maybe he liked Blink, maybe he’d never heard of them at the time, I don’t know but it’s like any other job. 

On 5/13/2022 at 1:40 AM, kibbles said:

Really cool Interview with Rick Devoe about blink.

Rick is an awesome dude. I could see him being a motivational speaker, top sales agent, a CEO type, or anything that he wanted to do. But he was driven by his purpose, which was surfing. I love stories of how people follow their purpose and it ends up giving them an amazing life while bringing others up with them. Stoked for Ryan to have him on the podcast.

12 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

Rick is an awesome dude. I could see him being a motivational speaker, top sales agent, a CEO type, or anything that he wanted to do. But he was driven by his purpose, which was surfing. I love stories of how people follow their purpose and it ends up giving them an amazing life while bringing others up with them. Stoked for Ryan to have him on the podcast.

Would he be a good mortgage broker?