The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Everytime I Look For You kicks ass. Best song from that album and one of the all time great blink songs. I've always said TOYPAJ instrumentally is an amazing album but the lyrics in most of the tracks are just bad.

They don't seem as honest to me as Enema lyrics do, which was only 2 years before and pretty much has similar subject matters. Hard to explain but something about TOYPAJ doesn't click with me the way Enema does.

Anthem Part 2 has lyrics I think are decent in one verse but then in another verse it turns into bad lyrics (especially this bit: corporate leaders, politicians, kids can't vote, adults elect them). Other songs have the same problem. I just feel like Enema doesn't have that problem.

I'll always find the lyrics in Reckless Abandon hilarious though. I'm 29 and I still crack up at the "took a shit in the bathroom tub" line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

Tbf I don't think most casuals know Dude Ranch exists. 

Sorry, not casual as in people that only know the radio hits but people that aren’t die-hard fans that are getting into the band. Jan was under the illusion people checking out all the albums would just skip/not notice Cheshire just because.

• Crab 1

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

Everytime I Look For You kicks ass. Best song from that album and one of the all time great blink songs. I've always said TOYPAJ instrumentally is an amazing album but the lyrics in most of the tracks are just bad.

They don't seem as honest to me as Enema lyrics do, which was only 2 years before and pretty much has similar subject matters. Hard to explain but something about TOYPAJ doesn't click with me the way Enema does.

Anthem Part 2 has lyrics I think are decent in one verse but then in another verse it turns into bad lyrics (especially this bit: corporate leaders, politicians, kids can't vote, adults elect them). Other songs have the same problem. I just feel like Enema doesn't have that problem.

I'll always find the lyrics in Reckless Abandon hilarious though. I'm 29 and I still crack up at the "took a shit in the bathroom tub" line.

I don’t mind Everytime I Look For You but I don’t understand the legendary status a lot of fans give it. The “will the last one out please shut the door” line always came across as extremely lazy in my opinion 

• Wow 1

8 hours ago, FAPLORD said:

Agreed. What are you favorite songs from TOYPAJ? Mine are give me one good reason, and then the two electric bonus songs. I hate it that friends who know I’m into blink assume I’m rocking out to first date 😅 lol 

apparently people who love give me one good reason, time to break up and don't tell me that it's over get all the hate on reddit, but those 3 are my favourite songs from TOYPAJ 🙌

• Love 1

9 hours ago, FAPLORD said:

Agreed. What are you favorite songs from TOYPAJ? Mine are give me one good reason, and then the two electric bonus songs. I hate it that friends who know I’m into blink assume I’m rocking out to first date 😅 lol 

Good to have you back, son. Give Me One Good Reason is deffo up there. What Went Wrong - do enjoy Reckless Abandon too

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Give Me One Good Reason is one of my faves too. It’s dumb AF but I still laugh at “hate the jocks, the preps, the hippy fucking scumbags” after all these years.

I am also a hardcore Everytime I Look For You fan. The bridge is orgasmic.

Story Of A Lonely Guy, Online Songs, Time To Break Up, the whole album is a slam dunk for me. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kay said:

Give Me One Good Reason is one of my faves too. It’s dumb AF but I still laugh at “hate the jocks, the preps, the hippy fucking scumbags” after all these years.

I am also a hardcore Everytime I Look For You fan. The bridge is orgasmic.

Story Of A Lonely Guy, Online Songs, Time To Break Up, the whole album is a slam dunk for me. 

‘heavy metallers with their awful pussy hair bands’

OH YEAAAAH. Fantastic.

• Love 3

14 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Sorry, not casual as in people that only know the radio hits but people that aren’t die-hard fans that are getting into the band. Jan was under the illusion people checking out all the albums would just skip/not notice Cheshire just because.

the US CD single for all the small things had M+M's as the second track and the back of the sleeve showed the cheshire album art. a ton of people who didn't know the band well suddenly knew that record existed, myself included. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _Bagel said:

‘heavy metallers with their awful pussy hair bands’

OH YEAAAAH. Fantastic.

i can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic hahaha. 

I too love those songs though. Give me one good reason has always been my favorite on toypaj along with time to break up (one of blinks all time best songs, period). It sucks that it's not on streaming platforms since it's becoming forgotten. I'm not super keen on the other one, don't tell me that it's over is kinda meh for me, i don't dislike it but i'd chose other songs on the record before it

11 hours ago, Elisa said:

apparently people who love give me one good reason, time to break up and don't tell me that it's over get all the hate on reddit, but those 3 are my favourite songs from TOYPAJ 🙌

3 absolute bangers! I recently learned how to play Dont tell me it’s over and time to break up correctly all the way through on guitar, now I gotta nail down give me one good reason. Such fun songs 

• Love 1

10 hours ago, _Bagel said:

Good to have you back, son. Give Me One Good Reason is deffo up there. What Went Wrong - do enjoy Reckless Abandon too

Yea reckless abandon would probably be my 4th favorite. That was the blink I loved, I was a pretty rebellious kid , so the weed and alcohol references were right up my alley lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Here I am, chorus in a Can said:

Please Take Me Home continues to be underrated.  Best verse/flows on the album with Tom and his guitar there.  

That song can get in the bin , shut up and this yawn of a song were two mistakes, especially to end the album with 

• Pickle 1

4 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

Yea reckless abandon would probably be my 4th favorite. That was the blink I loved, I was a pretty rebellious kid , so the weed and alcohol references were right up my alley lol. 

I always thought that blink's "rebellious" songs seemed pretty try-hard.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

I wasn't even talking about Chesire, but since we're on the topic.  Maybe it's different in AU, or an age thing, but Chesire was never super known, at least amongst anyone I knew or any blink casuals/casuals in general.  It was somewhat known by some for Carousel because they'd play it live or M&Ms video if they came around early enough...but yeah Neighborhoods had a lot of anticipation for casuals, hardcores, everyone.

Dude Ranch is even pretty unknown man, outside of Dammit and for some Josie because the video.

I really do think a lot would still skip Chesire just getting into blink because it's so early and sounds demo-ey.  About the same amount of Nirvana fans that came on during Nevermind that would skim over Bleach.

The ''compared'' topic I was even talking about was off Rick's interview..he wanted to keep the Enema image alive and felt TOYPAJ threatened it.  At that time, I really don't think casuals or even most fans of blink were coming on during Enema and going back to Chesire to jam out a bunch.  They're just such different sounds.  I don't know what the misconception is here.  Rick seemed pretty straightforward and I was repeating that.

Also, Chesire is definitely more along the lines of Dude Ranch than anything 'darker' or 'edgier' that TOYPAJ might have been considered at the time to Rick.

43 minutes ago, FAPLORD said:

Looking back now, they were lol. But I was at the perfect age, I was 14 when TOYPAJ came out. 

They did what they sought out to do.  I remember spending every day at my friends in the summer listening to the joke songs and dying of laughter at that age.

• Like 1

Cheshire was the first album I bought, and it was on accident.  I was trying to find the album with "the song about the girl taking off the guys' pants!heheheheheheheheh!" and all they had in stock was Cheshire.  A blessing in disguise really.