The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

6 hours ago, Zach Wilson said:

Wow that’s fucked of Mark and Travis to just leave him guessing. Maybe this nice guy act from Mark is just that, an act. I don’t even care about Skiba but I hate fake assholes 

Or maybe mark has had other things on his mind? 

Anyway fuck Skiba. Absolute oddball. The worse choice possible to take over from Tom. wtf were Mark and Travis thinking? I cannot wait for him to fuck off. Mark needs to bin blink and get plus 44 back together

2 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

FYI people who know skiba thinks this is him trolling (yet again)

Yep this is honestly my thoughts. He is in the middle of a Alk3 tour and probably getting harassed by blink questions daily. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he just decided to fuck with everybody that’s hounding him.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Zach Wilson said:

Yea I would actually replace everything on it lol, I just want the black hardtail body. But I don’t want to waste your time, I can’t take that project on right now. I am sure you could find a buyer for $500-$1,000 easily on reverb though!

Holy shit I wasn’t ever expecting that much for it , I some how thought it was only worth like £100 lol

I know we're in a pandemic and Mark and Travis have had serious health scares but I do find it odd/funny that they're talking about how they're recording new music remotely when all the promotion for Dogs Eating Dogs revolved around the fact that they write their best music "when we're in the same room together" and that blink-182 was finally back "for real" because this time they'd be writing the music together instead of separately like they did on Neighborhoods.

47 minutes ago, Elisa said:

He's usually better than this at trolling though and this isn't the first time he says he doesn't know if he's in the band or not. 

If this ends up being nothing but him trolling though then it might actually be his best one yet since this has definitely received the most traction.

Maybe Matt is playing 4D chess with us all.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

as a buddy of mark, that's not my read at all.

FYI people who know skiba thinks this is him trolling (yet again)

Yea I don’t really think Mark’s a fake ass hole that was kind of a drunken statement, just seems odd and out of character that he would do leave Skiba in the dark . And yea maybe he’s trolling! 

4 hours ago, Mr Blonde said:

Or maybe mark has had other things on his mind? 

Anyway fuck Skiba. Absolute oddball. The worse choice possible to take over from Tom. wtf were Mark and Travis thinking? I cannot wait for him to fuck off. Mark needs to bin blink and get plus 44 back together

I agree I don’t think Skiba was ever a good fit for blink. But who would have been? Honestly even Tom himself was horrible for the band, we’ll never get 1998-2001 Tom back (the best Tom) 

3 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I know we're in a pandemic and Mark and Travis have had serious health scares but I do find it odd/funny that they're talking about how they're recording new music remotely when all the promotion for Dogs Eating Dogs revolved around the fact that they write their best music "when we're in the same room together" and that blink-182 was finally back "for real" because this time they'd be writing the music together instead of separately like they did on Neighborhoods.

It goes deeper than that.  Prior to breaking up in 2005, they were trying to make things work, and Tom was saying the only way he could work on the next album would be remotely, and that just wasn't gonna work for Mark and Travis (which to be fair, outside of The Postal Service, no other bands were really doing that for full albums back then, the tech was only just getting there to be viable, in fact in the case of The Postal Service, they literally sent their material through the mail, not over the internet).

But that's the thing, times do change.  I would still so much prefer for them to all be in the same room for recording, but it's legit so easy and viable today to record in different studios across the country and get the new music out in nearly as timely of a matter, it will take a bit longer, but it's not the logistical nightmare it used to be.  I don't feel annoyed by this way of recording today, than I did even a decade ago.  It's not as good as being their together, but it absolutely can work.

Also that Skiba post feels like a joke to me.  I mean I feel like what Mark said in that GQ article last year kinda said it all, “I don't know how that would work if it's all four of us. Like we're all going to live in the same house again?”  Mark seems to envision (at least as recently as December) the future of the band with all 4 of them.  I can not fathom Travis being the guy to say Matt has to go.  So that ultimately leads to the idea of, if there is any truth to Matt's post, is Tom saying he'll only return if they give Matt the boot?  Would be a pretty shitty way to start his return in the band.  I dunno, none of that really feels in character with them and who they are today.  Certainly possible, but my money says Skiba was probably just having a little fun.  

Regardless of the outcome, I think they could work as a four piece, and I'd love to see them try if only for one album.  In a weird way it would kinda mirror Green Day in how Jason White was made an official member of the band, but only for the trilogy and then it was just the three of them again after (even though Jason still tours with them, that whole situation is strange when you think about it).

38 minutes ago, M!ke said:

In a weird way it would kinda mirror Green Day in how Jason White was made an official member of the band, but only for the trilogy and then it was just the three of them again after (even though Jason still tours with them, that whole situation is strange when you think about it).

But I don’t think Jason ever considered himself as an official member though. He joined the recordings of the trilogy albums because they wanted more of a live sound on them + he’d already toured with them for a decade. He has explained in a podcast that he likes the anonymity and that he’ll always view GD as a three-piece. Never been much drama between the GD members (luckily!)

15 minutes ago, Maddey said:

But I don’t think Jason ever considered himself as an official member though. He joined the recordings of the trilogy albums because they wanted more of a live sound on them + he’d already toured with them for a decade. He has explained in a podcast that he likes the anonymity and that he’ll always view GD as a three-piece. Never been much drama between the GD members (luckily!)

Honestly maybe that band could really use some good drama to shake up their dynamics. They've gotten so stale and boring.  Last truly decent album was 21st Century Breakdown and that was just a much weaker rehash of American Idiot.  I used to love Green Day, they still put on a great live show, but I really don't feel like they can write great new music anymore.

2 hours ago, Zach Wilson said:

I agree I don’t think Skiba was ever a good fit for blink. But who would have been? Honestly even Tom himself was horrible for the band, we’ll never get 1998-2001 Tom back (the best Tom) 

They should have gone for Alex Gaskarth especially if they were gonna make that bubble gum rock like California and nine. Ridiculous really when you think about it, they add Skiba and proceed to make two pop albums 😂 when he joined I was excited because I thought we’d get some dark raw sounding shit but we end up with Selena Gomez shite

• Like 1
  • Crab 2

7 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I still hope we get one more Matt album at least.

You and me both! 

22 minutes ago, Maddey said:

The Sums did it right with brownsounds return and it felt really natural at the time and still do. But the blink situation is different imo.

Green Day making Jason a full member could have gone either way, he was still only a backing musician 

Skiba. Is. Out.

I hope so, at least. We’ll always have Black Rain.

But really, I see the only move to bring back excitement to casual blink fans and to have that California-style of goodwill is to bring back Tom. Not saying it’d be great for the band’s internal mechanisms, but that would generate similar news/interest as when Skiba was first announced 7 years ago.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Honestly maybe that band could really use some good drama to shake up their dynamics. They've gotten so stale and boring.  Last truly decent album was 21st Century Breakdown and that was just a much weaker rehash of American Idiot.  I used to love Green Day, they still put on a great live show, but I really don't feel like they can write great new music anymore.

I personally don’t think the drama has helped blink writing great new music either but that’s just my opinion. It helps keeping them interesting though

Nine is a really fcking good album. California and deluxe isn't bad either. No matter what happens we still got three albums from them. And if it's actually true that matt is being booted then the positive is that he will be able to do Trio full time again! 

I really wanna know what happened with that scrapped album that was almost kinda done? Coming from NINE my guess is that album is pretty damn good! Would be a waste if it just dissapears on a harddrive somewhere

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Haha it's funny how things can be different for people. As an example, for me, 21CB was where they got it right 😂

• Like 1