The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

4 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Edit: it wasn't the intro tune it was like the background of Up All Night he was playing with, and it was in Album Launch, play at the timecode:

That riff he’s playing is part of the intro (and the dumb shit outro) of the song, Mike.

2 minutes ago, Speedo said:

That riff he’s playing is part of the intro of the song, Mike.

Well It's not the part of the intro I remembered, like that's the background guitar or later in the intro.  For some reason in my head it was the immediate weird, kinda quieter part of the intro.  Heck maybe that does still exist in 2003 in another video.  That memory is so vivid.

1 minute ago, M!ke said:

I'm not a Funko guy myself, but isn't this also how LEGO is?  All character uniform so that anything you can imagine is possible and there are no boundaries.  Granted, there is soooo much more to LEGO than Funko, but still, I don't think the uniformity is inherently a negative thing.

Didnt know there was lego collectibles, my logic still applies

Just now, Kay said:

Didnt know there was lego collectibles, my logic still applies

Oh yeah, the LEGO scene is a huge collectors market.  People buy and trade Lego like its currency, legit I knew a guy who that's how he made his money with LEGO.  Crazy shit lol.

3 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Well It's not the part of the intro I remembered, like that's the background guitar or later in the intro.  For some reason in my head it was the immediate in your face part of the intro.  Heck maybe that does still exist in 2003 in another video.  That memory is so vivid.

No, the synth part of the intro didn’t exist in 2003, just the idea for the riff that was later used as the second half of Up All Night’s intro and the aforementioned dumb shit outro.

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

No, the synth part of the intro didn’t exist in 2003, just the idea for the riff that was later used as the second half of Up All Night’s intro and the aforementioned dumb shit outro.

Probably right, but man that memory is vivid, I'm still looking regardless lol

4 hours ago, NeverOliver said:

Who besides South Americans could possibly prefer seeing them live vs a new album? People haven't seen the same damn show enough times already?

honestly me. new music from them is always a treat but it's not the same anymore and seeing them live is always one of the most fun nights ever.

• Like 2

I listened to Nine for the first time in ages yesterday. It's an underrated album for sure. It's missing the HITS, but it is full of solid songs. I think the lack of marketing and tour also hurt it, which was due to Blame it on my Youth not doing anything on the charts.

12 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I listened to Nine for the first time in ages yesterday. It's an underrated album for sure. It's missing the HITS, but it is full of solid songs. I think the lack of marketing and tour also hurt it, which was due to Blame it on my Youth not doing anything on the charts.

I think they picked the wrong single and a bit early. Darkside would've worked better as the first single. 

10 minutes ago, thongrider said:

I think they picked the wrong single and a bit early. Darkside would've worked better as the first single. 

Yeah, I like Darkside but I'm not sure it would have done better. Hard to say.

To me, BIOMY was the best chance at a chart song

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:58 AM, Ghent said:

This idea that everyone has to be a singer/songwriter/musician to matter is a fallacy. Like yeah, we should give extra respect to people who can do all three (T-Swift baby!).. but what about the person who is a great songwriter, but can't perform for shit? They're worthless? Someone with massive stage presence, dripping with charisma and has a good voice doesn't count because they didn't write the song they're slaying? It's all interrelated. Give it a rest and let people do what they're good at.

to me it's usually just another form of music snobs looking down on pop music tbh, since the genre is so much more collaborative. I agree a single artist being able to handle everything with their own music is cool, but thinking it genuinely elevates them above other artists is lame.

9 minutes ago, Nasa said:

to me it's usually just another form of music snobs looking down on pop music tbh, since the genre is so much more collaborative. I agree a single artist being able to handle everything with their own music is cool, but thinking it genuinely elevates them above other artists is lame.

I guess people have different criteria when they listen to music. Listening to a skilled singer does nothing for me, but lots of people find people's voice or musicianship to be very important. To me, it's the most important that the performer wrote it themselves, but there are exceptions I guess. Blink is definitely a band that's strength is writing their own material. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thongrider said:

I guess people have different criteria when they listen to music. Listening to a skilled singer does nothing for me, but lots of people find people's voice or musicianship to be very important. To me, it's the most important that the performer wrote it themselves, but there are exceptions I guess. Blink is definitely a band that's strength is writing their own material. 

I don't really care how the music was made as long as I enjoy it. In terms of talent, I do tend to think more highly of performers who write their own songs than performers whose songs are written by others. But the latter doesn't really "bother" me or make me think they're a worse artist, because there's more than one form of talent.

• Like 2

I think its about the connection to the music and the singer. If they’re singing their heart out about something that seems personal but it was written by three random dudes it’s harder to have an impact. If as the listener you know the singer is performing about their own life and experience you can appreciate the song more on an emotional level.

im a songwriter though so I know I’m heavily biased on this subject. 

• Like 6