The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Just now, Kay said:

I think its about the connection to the music and the singer. If they’re singing their heart out about something that seems personal but it was written by three random dudes it’s harder to have an impact. If as the listener you know the singer is performing about their own life and experience you can appreciate the song more on an emotional level.

im a songwriter though so I know I’m heavily biased on this subject. 

That makes sense. If I wrote songs I'm sure I'd feel similarly. I suppose playing piano for 4 years and viola for 9 is why musicianship is really important to me. for me if an artist gets up there and does a shitty job of performing songs they didn't even write, that's a wrap. 

• Like 2

I would prefer they write/record in the same room without a bunch of helpers but I also think the "writers" credited on the albums are wayyyyyy overblown and Mark and Travis wrote 98% of the albums.  Those people just need a way to make money off the production. 

I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL.

Imagine only being able to enjoy a movie if the director wrote the screenplay. If it's not about the quality of the end product then you've lost the plot imo.

Can you argue the best methods to get the best results? sure. but to discount the quality of something based solely on the method of its production is lame. Says more about you than the art itself.

8 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Imagine only being able to enjoy a movie if the director wrote the screenplay. If it's not about the quality of the end product then you've lost the plot imo.

Can you argue the best methods to get the best results? sure. but to discount the quality of something based solely on the method of its production is lame. Says more about you than the art itself.

Music and specifically rock music are different than a movie production though.  There's something special about the idea of people being in a garage/studio/whatever as a unit hacking something out and coming out with a finished product.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I would prefer they write/record in the same room without a bunch of helpers but I also think the "writers" credited on the albums are wayyyyyy overblown and Mark and Travis wrote 98% of the albums.  Those people just need a way to make money off the production. 

I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL.

Hm, I'd say this is pure speculation, but I'd be surprised. I think had some input on Nine also tbh. 

I've probably said this many times, but Feldmann on California is a catch 22 for me. I don't like the sound of it and if Feldmann is responsible for that minus points from me. The songs are mostly great and if Feldmann wrote the most of them good job Feldmann, but minus points for Blink. 

18 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I don't necessarily think that's the same thing, but I definitely think there's too much focus on movie directors compared to scriptwriters in original movies. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Texas said:

It’s preferable that a band write their own material, just because I like hearing what the band comes up with but it’s not necessary. If the music is good then I can live with that.

Life is definitely too short to not enjoy good stuff. 

3 minutes ago, thongrider said:

I don't necessarily think that's the same thing, but I definitely think there's too much focus on movie directors compared to scriptwriters in original movies. 

Just an example. If someone else gave some input on the Mona Lisa, does it become ABSOLUTE TRASH? Did Da Vinci SELL OUT? If it's not about the end product, then it's not about the art itself. You're investing your interests into something different entirely.

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

Just an example. If someone else gave some input on the Mona Lisa, does it become ABSOLUTE TRASH? Did Da Vinci SELL OUT? If it's not about the end product, then it's not about the art itself. You're investing your interests into something different entirely.

I guess if someone else did all the work they should be credited, but the work is still as good. 

11 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Did someone else sketch it and Da Vinci come in and paint it?

3 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

well good thing tom is coming back to write his own songs so this isn't a problem anymore 

Tom uses song writers. Some ugly guy with a squirrel on his head. even records guitar

• Haha 2