The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

13 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

What bothers me about this is I love the really fast songs but they only do it for super short songs and joke songs. Cynical, Generational Divide, Ransom, Brohemian Rhapsody etc. I’d love some fast songs that aren’t over in 30 seconds.

For sure! Cynical still best blink song since something off Untitled in my opinion, maybe since before that. Brohemian Rhpasody was such a waste of some tasty riffs. Should have been made into a real song  

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

15 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

What bothers me about this is I love the really fast songs but they only do it for super short songs and joke songs. Cynical, Generational Divide, Ransom, Brohemian Rhapsody etc. I’d love some fast songs that aren’t over in 30 seconds.

They’re fucking old, any longer and the arthritis flares up.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Johnny Fappleseed said:

For sure! Cynical still best blink song since something off Untitled in my opinion, maybe since before that. Brohemian Rhpasody was such a waste of some tasty riffs. Should have been made into a real song  

Yep, Cynical is a top blink song for me. I want more like that!

I had to join the Nine wagon so I just finished listening to the album and one thing is certain, the songs are catchy, but I think my problem with Nine is just that I don't have a connection with it because it lacks a personality. It's an album that says and sounds like nothing. The production barely sounds like blink, more like a radio safe pop album and the album is soulless in general to me and the amount of vocal overproduced sickens me.

Highlights: The backend of the album is far far far better than the beginning. I really enjoy the track run from No Heart To Speak Of all the way to Hungover You... I think Untitled was the last album that had a run of songs that solid. The drums are great & I'm glad they gave Skiba some more space.

Songs that I skipped completely: BIOMY, Run Away, Black Rain, Remember To Forget Me and IRWIHY.

Side note: I said this on discord, but a few of months ago Fat Mike went to say hi to Feldy in his studio and he said on his podcast that Feldy was working with a band, but in the room there were 9 more writers and they were all talking over each other saying "What about this riff? What about this verse I just came up with?" and he got creeped out.
Go ahead with the crabs, but when Fat Mike said that I realized that this is probably what happened with blink & all the people credited in this album.  

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Fappleseed said:

link has never struck me as lead guitar playing, it’s pretty much all rhythm guitar playing 

really? maybe career batting average... tom is not what i would call a soloist, but cheshire is all riffs. much of dude ranch too.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Johnny Fappleseed said:

I’m sorry you’re going through it too man. I’ve been struggling with a breakup and life since October myself. Things will get better ❤️

Thanks man, that and suddenly the financial gods smiting me has been a bit of a readjustment. We move. You're right, all in time. Sending ya love o' faplord

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

Upon this revisiting of NINE I’m a bit on the fence about crazy Tom returning. The album didn’t get a fair shake because of the Feldmann stuff, it lacked a powerful lead radio single, they toured Enema instead of NINE because of the convenient timing and lack of a big single, AND covid hit.

We sure we want wacky Tom back in instead of strange, but mentally stable Skiba? Something to think about honestly. Tom could set the band on a course of total BS again for years. Would it be better to let Skiba continue growing in the band?

I’m not sure what my opinion is yet but it’s worth talking about for sure. Skiba is a loyal, productive member. We may be taking for granted a pretty good thing.

Lol - by the looks of it, the boys in the band don't even want Skiba in anymore.  I think they have taken for granted a good thing. Poor guy doesn't even know if he's a blink member. I don't think it's wise to get Tom back in the form of being a reliable or functioning team-player, I can't see that happening. I just thought it might be for a run of shows celebrating 30 years.

• Like 2

Just want Mark, Travis & Skiba to get in a recording studio and just write about 15 songs and focus on them over the space of like 5-6 months then someone like Neal Avron or Bill Stevenson popping in from time to time like Jerry Finn did with the smiley face album or +44 album.

Don't want co-writers or other producers saying there's no "classic blink" sound, saying there's no song that could be a single or asking what makes blink-182, blink-182? Especially don't want co-writers talking over each other and jamming with a guitar whilst other co-writers are shitting out a verse in 5 minutes.

I rate Nine as a good album but this method of recording an album would make a way better album I think. Definitely would be way better than the pile of trash called California as well.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Just want Mark, Travis & Skiba to get in a recording studio and just write about 15 songs and focus on them over the space of like 5-6 months then someone like Neal Avron or Bill Stevenson popping in from time to time like Jerry Finn did with the smiley face album or +44 album.

Don't want co-writers or other producers saying there's no "classic blink" sound, saying there's no song that could be a single or asking what makes blink-182, blink-182? Especially don't want co-writers talking over each other and jamming with a guitar whilst other co-writers are shitting out a verse in 5 minutes.

I really want this to happen before Tom comes back because Skiba was never given a chance as  a songwriter 

• Like 1

I just want more Alk3, it’s where Skiba gets to actually write whatever the fuck he likes and they’re a great band, more Is This Thing Cursed please and thank you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I just want more Alk3, it’s where Skiba gets to actually write whatever the fuck he likes and they’re a great band, more Is This Thing Cursed please and thank you. 

He's better in blink though. Alkaline Trio is pretty stinky

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kay said:

Do we know anything about new Alk3? It seems with blink doing seemingly nothing (or at least Matt doing nothing with blink) that would make lots of time to focus on Alkaline Trio. I loved the last EP and I want more.

3 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Do we know anything about new Alk3? It seems with blink doing seemingly nothing (or at least Matt doing nothing with blink) that would make lots of time to focus on Alkaline Trio. I loved the last EP and I want more.

They’ve been touring and I think they’re working on new stuff im not actually sure

People magically got more into Alkaline here as a way to hedge against their irrational blink hate once Tom left.

I don't hate them or anything, they're just kind of boring. Matt does much better work in blink 😎

• Like 1
  • Crab 2