The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

16 hours ago, Rickay said:

I saw the gaslight anthem tonight and they only played one song from the 59 sound and now I know why blink only play their greatest hits. Play the tunes we know mate 👍🏻 

Blinks deep cuts are still catchy and full of energy, where GLA's, well, you gotta be in the mood even on their hits. 

• Like 1

Just now, Speedo said:

Nah, Sink or Swim is good too. Everything after ‘59 Sound is boring trash though with a few exceptions.

sink or swim is a rocker for sure. that's my #2. and yes, everything after 59 sound...just boring, often slower, poorer quality rewritten versions of the songs on 59 sound.

couple exceptions... old haunts, spirit of jazz etc etc

Have Mercy is the best song Gaslight Anthem have written IMO.

The 59’ Sound is the best album start to finish. Sink or Swim is a fantastic punk album with some folk thrown in (Senor and the Queen is a solid follow up EP with a similar sound). American Slang is a bit weaker but sounds more true to their sound and less about their influences. Handwritten is their most polished and a nice nod to 90s grunge. Get Hurt has both the best and weakest songs the band has written.

The band definitely doesn’t have as much staying power as I once thought, but you could make a very good double album taking their best songs. Horrible Crowes was a great side project as well, and I enjoyed Brian’s solo stuff until the lay album.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Get divorced for the kids said:

Have Mercy is the best song Gaslight Anthem have written IMO.

The 59’ Sound is the best album start to finish. Sink or Swim is a fantastic punk album with some folk thrown in (Senor and the Queen is a solid follow up EP with a similar sound). American Slang is a bit weaker but sounds more true to their sound and less about their influences. Handwritten is their most polished and a nice nod to 90s grunge. Get Hurt has both the best and weakest songs the band has written.

The band definitely doesn’t have as much staying power as I once thought, but you could make a very good double album taking their best songs. Horrible Crowes was a great side project as well, and I enjoyed Brian’s solo stuff until the lay album.

I agree with everything you said. Kind of sad / disappointing they never kicked on to be festival headlining / arena band.

As a huge Springsteen fan myself, I have always found The Gaslight Anthem's Springsteen references to be way over the top. I haven't listened to a ton of their stuff, I do really like some of their songs quite a bit, but when I tried to get more into them it just felt like they were trying to directly re-do Springsteen for a new generation without anybody noticing. Even using a bunch of the same names in their lyrics and stuff. 

I relate to loving Springsteen but sheesh. 

• Like 1