The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs have both aged well for me. DED got me so excited for whatever was going to come next from Mark Tom and Travis, and still kind of makes me sad that whatever that was going to be never happened. It kind of feels like listening to Not Now during the first hiatus. I know it was written for untitled, but at the time it kind of felt like the "last" blink song and like it was a hint towards what the band's next new music might sound like.

Thinking about a proper follow up to untitled is seriously depressing lol. That could have been huge.

Though in a lot of ways I think When Your Heart Stops Beating was the "true" follow up to that record, and it remains one of my favorite albums in the entire blink/blink-adjacent discography.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, M!ke said:

Untitled has probably aged the best in my opinion (even though i loved that one from the start as possibly my favorite album ever), though Neighborhoods is aging very well as well. 

Untitled is possibly my favorite album ever too, but it only feels as good as it once did when feeling really nostalgic. I've heard all those songs so many times, but Here's Your Letter and Stockholm Syndrome, heck half that album never fails to impress me still.

Neighborhoods just seems to be better than it was at release or shortly after it. Dude Ranch too, hasn't dropped in value either.  Has to do with the writing.

12 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Neighborhoods and Dogs Eating Dogs have both aged well for me. DED got me so excited for whatever was going to come next from Mark Tom and Travis, and still kind of makes me sad that whatever that was going to be never happened. It kind of feels like listening to Not Now during the first hiatus. I know it was written for untitled, but at the time it kind of felt like the "last" blink song and like it was a hint towards what the band's next new music might sound like.

Thinking about a proper follow up to untitled is seriously depressing lol. That could have been huge.

Though in a lot of ways I think When Your Heart Stops Beating was the "true" follow up to that record, and it remains one of my favorite albums in the entire blink/blink-adjacent discography.

Agreed. I think Asthenia was the closest to what their next album would have sounded like if Tom got his way. Likely a combination of WYHSB and Asthenia.

It is well known that blink were leaning towards that AVA sound. Asthenia & Not Now were early examples. Mark even confirmed in that 2005-2006 interview that they were already working on the follow up to the smiley face album in 2004. Adventure was the song that was supposed to be for blink. Mark mentioned other AVA songs too but not by name.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

It is well known that blink were leaning towards that AVA sound. Asthenia & Not Now were early examples. Mark even confirmed in that 2005-2006 interview that they were already working on the follow up to the smiley face album in 2004. Adventure was the song that was supposed to be for blink. Mark mentioned other AVA songs too but not by name.

I heard It Hurts and I think The War were the two Blink demos used for AvA.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 12:11 PM, Crabless Jan vol. 2 said:

Untitled is possibly my favorite album ever too, but it only feels as good as it once did when feeling really nostalgic. I've heard all those songs so many times, but Here's Your Letter and Stockholm Syndrome, heck half that album never fails to impress me still.

Neighborhoods just seems to be better than it was at release or shortly after it. Dude Ranch too, hasn't dropped in value either.  Has to do with the writing.

Sometimes aging well just means releasing brilliant and staying brilliant 20 years later. Sure Neighborhoods has steadily gotten better with time, but Untitled has stayed as brilliant as the day it released, even 2 decades later. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Considering The Machine's guitar part was recycled for Snake Charmer, I bet that tune was being played around for blink back then as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Get divorced for Tom peen said:

I heard It Hurts and I think The War were the two Blink demos used for AvA.

It Hurts does sound like a blink song I think haha. I'm sure there's a video somewhere of Tom playing the War whilst still in blink. I've tried to find it before but can't find it whatsoever. I just remember Tom wearing the orange hat backwards and a white t shirt whilst playing the riff on an acoustic. His hair was kinda short at that point so i feel like that was in 2004.

It's definitely not the video where he's recording it for AVA even though he's wearing a white shirt on that AVA video. But I distinctively remember a video in colour of him playing an AVA song on acoustic whilst in blink

Weird how his clothing sense and haircuts have always changed for each era of blink and AVA haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Considering The Machine's guitar part was recycled for Snake Charmer, I bet that tune was being played around for blink back then as well. 

Found the video haha. Turns out I was half right half wrong. Was half right and half wrong about his hat too. Turns out it was orange but not backwards. I thought it was the War and not the Machine.

5 minutes ago, Iced_Fappuccino said:

Lol who knows. He’s not wrong though 

I don’t know, I’m gullible as fuck and even I see Tom’s ventures as a scam. I don’t feel pity for those dumb enough to hand Tom a wad of cash to fund his insanity … especially the ones who do it more than once. I love Tom, I’m a giant Tombot but the guy is laughing all the way to the bank.

22 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I don’t know, I’m gullible as fuck and even I see Tom’s ventures as a scam. I don’t feel pity for those dumb enough to hand Tom a wad of cash to fund his insanity … especially the ones who do it more than once. I love Tom, I’m a giant Tombot but the guy is laughing all the way to the bank.

Truly mind blowing to me that anyone would even entertain the idea of donating money to toms shit lol

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I mean I wouldn’t consider you a real Tombot. At least you’re realistic. I still don’t think it makes it right for him to prey on impressionable fans but he’s free to try. Doubt he’s gotten that much money from anyone as of late anyways