The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

interesting article w fat mike about their new song — the old blink song “punk rock cliche”, unreleased from 2016. i wonder what the deal was with the band dropping it? bad blood with him?

https://www.spin.com/2022/11/nofx-fat-mike-double-album-interview/

1 hour ago, King of the Weekend said:

Very interesting, especially considering he seemed to be on good terms with Matt and Travis. I know he had beef with Tom, not sure if that impacted how Mark saw things. 

Very interesting and strange story. I'm not sure I buy it completely... The song isn't very good, it definitely doesn't sound very Blink-ish, and it definitely doesn't sound like something the label would choose as a single at all, let alone the first big "Blink Is Back!!" single rather than BTD.

Maybe they reworked it quite a bit, maybe Skiba was clueless when he was telling Fat Mike those things, who knows. I'd be interested in hearing Blink's version either way!

31 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Very interesting and strange story. I'm not sure I buy it completely... The song isn't very good, it definitely doesn't sound very Blink-ish, and it definitely doesn't sound like something the label would choose as a single at all, let alone the first big "Blink Is Back!!" single rather than BTD.

Maybe they reworked it quite a bit, maybe Skiba was clueless when he was telling Fat Mike those things, who knows. I'd be interested in hearing Blink's version either way!

It might make sense if this was during the pre-Feldman recording sessions that they trashed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ...Simp... said:

This is sweet, feel like you can tell they're actually really good friends again now. Seems completely different to the fake reunion banter they had, seems actually genuine.

Haha wow, the ending of that is so much more genuine sounding than anything we heard for years out of them.

And that NoFX song is fucking trash 😂 The idea of that as a blink song is a joke. There are songs on Flyswatter that are like masterpieces compared to that steamer

• Like 4
  • Love 1

That song was ass but i do remember hearing about this being one of the first singles before Feldman came on board. It would've interesting to know what the blink version sounded like. It most likely would've been better as a blink song but I still think it would've been a bad blink song

The other NOFX song that was recently released "Darby Crashing Your Party" is a fucking tune though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

That song was ass but i do remember hearing about this being one of the first singles before Feldman came on board.

41 minutes ago, King of the Weekend said:

It might make sense if this was during the pre-Feldman recording sessions that they trashed. 

Yup you're right, Travis mentioned the song in an interview in October 2015, and they started working with Feldy in January 2016.

Pretty interesting addition to the mystery around that time. 

• Like 3

It kinda makes me more empathetic towards Mark in the leadup to California honestly haha.

Just imagine you're Mark, you're jamming with Skiba and Travis, going through ideas, Skiba brings in this kinda shitty song written by Fat Mike and Skiba is apparently hyping it up and Travis is loving it, but it doesn't really sound anything like "classic Blink" that you're trying to revive - OR even like some kind of cool Alkaline-182 hybrid - I might start to get discouraged and gravitate toward someone like Feldy who's whispering sweet nothings in my ear and selling me fool's gold too.

(And on the other hand, if I was Skiba and this was a song I was excited about and was telling my friend that it might be the lead single, and then it was totally scrapped and your influence in the band was replaced by a new producer, I'd be instantly jaded too haha.)

• Like 4

lol I don't think it's too far fetched to say that Matt Mark and Travis just didn't write well together on their own. Probably pretty normal to have problems when suddenly combining sounds with someone new while also wanting to sound like "blink."

I think that's why they got help from songwriters.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Kay said:

I can agree with that

it’s my long held belief that Tom and Mark bring out the best in each other. Tom pushes Mark creatively and Mark keeps Tom grounded. Without each other, Mark writes boring shit or needs others to write boring shit for him and Tom loses the fucking plot and falls into a box of synth bollocks.

I’d say this is spot on

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vote Ghent said:

lol I don't think it's too far fetched to say that Matt Mark and Travis just didn't write well together on their own. Probably pretty normal to have problems when suddenly combining sounds with someone new while also wanting to sound like "blink."

I think that's why they got help from songwriters.

100% this. Also kind of explains why Matt was basically left out on some of the other releases they did. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radioactive tomdog said:

i think mark and matt could make an awesome album but maybe the pressure of needing to be blink 182 ruined that. anyone who was excited about skiba joining wanted alkaline 44 and would have been fine with it. 

Would of been great if it was just a different project where they didn't have the pressure of the Blink name. I get why Mark and Travis went that route though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radioactive tomdog said:

i think mark and matt could make an awesome album but maybe the pressure of needing to be blink 182 ruined that. anyone who was excited about skiba joining wanted alkaline 44 and would have been fine with it. 

Yeah, but integrity doesn't exist anymore.  Everyone's trying to make as much money as possible before the world ends.

I know it’s been discussed a couple pages back and (probably) won’t happen, but it would be cool if blink dropped a mega collection of b-sides and demos from all eras, which would include those pre-Feldy sessions and other scrapped material before Tom rejoined. I’m guessing Mark’s insecure about that shit but I’d bet you could get some good money out of it from die-hards. *sigh* Maybe they’ll release something from the vault whenever they finally retire and need some extra cash.

11 hours ago, Champ182 said:

It kinda makes me more empathetic towards Mark in the leadup to California honestly haha.

Just imagine you're Mark, you're jamming with Skiba and Travis, going through ideas, Skiba brings in this kinda shitty song written by Fat Mike and Skiba is apparently hyping it up and Travis is loving it, but it doesn't really sound anything like "classic Blink" that you're trying to revive - OR even like some kind of cool Alkaline-182 hybrid - I might start to get discouraged and gravitate toward someone like Feldy who's whispering sweet nothings in my ear and selling me fool's gold too.

(And on the other hand, if I was Skiba and this was a song I was excited about and was telling my friend that it might be the lead single, and then it was totally scrapped and your influence in the band was replaced by a new producer, I'd be instantly jaded too haha.)

And then, you accept to write NINE with a ton of co-writers and co-producers.

Hm...

• Like 1