The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

7 minutes ago, Level 3 Alpha-Jan said:

Sirius could be cool but I'm not paying for it.

We got three months free when we bought our car last May. I cancelled it with in the first day or two and the customer service guy was shitty about it. Honestly, I  cancelled it because they sent me 20 emails in a few days time advertising shit and I was annoyed by it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Speedo said:

We got three months free when we bought our car last May. I cancelled it with in the first day or two and the customer service guy was shitty about it. Honestly, I  cancelled it because they sent me 20 emails in a few days time advertising shit and I was annoyed by it.

Lol that's literally what I was just thinking these all past 2 weeks.  Really weird business model, same exact thing. I was like wondering if I was supposed to do something or if this is just their extremely annoying tactic.  It's a new email every day about it ending and I'm like "...good?".  They even call.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coightstanza said:

The car we hired in NZ was an absolute piece and didn’t have Bluetooth or even an aux input so we were stuck with the radio for two weeks. I got so over hearing the same crappy songs 10 times a day.

Worst part is that every DJ seems like they are screaming into the mic haha fucking does my head in 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kay said:

I put on classical radio in the kitchen when I’m cooking. Soothes me.

It’s Lizzo for me when I cook, but I throw on classical sometimes when I’m sitting with my coffee. Nice and relaxing. 

I do the radio in the morning on my way to work, I enjoy listening to Big Boy’s Neighborhood….I also tend to do the radio with the kids, or a few different CDs…they like some of it quite a bit, AFI & Gym Class Heroes are current favorites. I like a HUGE range of music & listen to a bit of everything. 

• Like 1

I have no idea how Billboard charts work nowadays, I think it's basically gibberish, but yeah Edging is technically their longest-running #1 single of all time on the Alternative chart:

Edging - 13 weeks at #1 - (still going)
ATST - 8 weeks at #1
Bored To Death - 5 weeks at #1
I Miss You - 2 weeks at #1

It's pretty stunning and cool, but obviously in real life it's not remotely as "big" as their other songs that became big hits haha. Either way, it's a fucking awesome way to start their new era!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I have no idea how Billboard charts work nowadays, I think it's basically gibberish, but yeah Edging is technically their longest-running #1 single of all time on the Alternative chart:

ATST - 8 weeks at #1

It's pretty stunning and cool, but obviously in real life it's not remotely as "big" as their other songs that became big hits haha. Either way, it's a fucking awesome way to start their new era!

Exactly, this is important to remember. Whatever is happening with Edging doesn’t impress me. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

ATST - 8 weeks at #1

I feel the same way about Edging charting as I did about Cali being nominated for a Grammy. The bar is much lower now then back in their heyday.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, FAP said:

Exactly, this is important to remember. Whatever is happening with Edging doesn’t impress me. 

8 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

I feel the same way about Edging charting as I did about Cali being nominated for a Grammy. The bar is much lower now then back in their heyday.

Yeah I'm still impressed and "proud" of them haha because it's still all relative to other alternative bands, they're doing awesome as a 2022 alternative band, but it's just impossible to compare to previous eras. The genre is in the gutter commercially/critically/societally, radio/MTV is meaningless, etc., but they're still breaking through in the midst of all of that which is cool.

I have no idea what is going on with charts, I looked at the Billboard Hot 100 and some artists had like 8 tracks listed, it's just all gibberish that has nothing to do with how they were calculated prior to like 10+ years ago.

• Like 4

I think it's more that radio is not prominent as it was until the late 2000s, since the Alternative Airplay chart just comprises radio play (the 40 songs with most spins in a given week on alternative stations).

Digital downloads are nearly dead too, so nowadays, unless you are being played on Contemporary Hit/Top 40 Radio (the most popular format), it's mostly about streaming. Popularity comes from there. "Edging" had a great first week streaming-wise, then disappeared.

It's probably blink's biggest song since "I Miss You", still. Either this or "Bored to Death"...

• Like 1

Tom spends 15 years trying to conquer the world with AVA's "revolutionary music"....then the first time he comes out with a simple fun pop punk blink track it outperforms the entirety of that band's existence.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ghunt said:

Tom spends 15 years trying to conquer the world with AVA's "revolutionary music"....then the first time he comes out with a simple fun pop punk blink track it outperforms the entirety of that band's existence.

Yeah, but you have to understand the mental torture that must be.  Glad he's finally embracing it (for now), but it's clearly 'fame kills' for him.  He could put a zillion amount of effort into what he's truly passionate about, get a few followers.. launch out a new First Date and he's got the entire nation wrapped around his finger again.

3 hours ago, Ghunt said:

As much as i love a lot of AVA's stuff, I can't help but feel the stuff he wanted to achieve with AVA he was already achieving with blink

Blink literally influenced so many musicians of the last 20 years, me being one of them. They're a huge part of my life. I believe blink really was this revolutionary band but they just happened to do it with pop punk music

They changed pop punk. Hell they've even influenced rappers. They even had an influence on all that mainstream emo crap that was happening around 2006-2007.

Blink was already that band that he wanted AVA to become. It's like he forgot the smiley face album existed or forgot other songs he was involved with like Adam's Song. He started to misunderstand what blink was and started to speak about his goals for AVA, which he was already reaching with blink

• Like 2