The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 hours ago, heater said:

It’s Lizzo for me when I cook, but I throw on classical sometimes when I’m sitting with my coffee. Nice and relaxing. 

I do the radio in the morning on my way to work, I enjoy listening to Big Boy’s Neighborhood….I also tend to do the radio with the kids, or a few different CDs…they like some of it quite a bit, AFI & Gym Class Heroes are current favorites. I like a HUGE range of music & listen to a bit of everything. 

I put either I Think You Should Leave or Detroiters on in the background while I cook.  Doesn't matter how many times I've watched (or more listened in the cases when I'm cooking) those Tim Robinson shows, they never cease to kill me.  Makes the already satisfying activity of cooking all the more enjoyable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Level 3 Alpha-Jan said:

Yeah, but you have to understand the mental torture that must be.  Glad he's finally embracing it (for now), but it's clearly 'fame kills' for him.  He could put a zillion amount of effort into what he's truly passionate about, get a few followers.. launch out a new First Date and he's got the entire nation wrapped around his finger again.

I think Tom knows in a lot of ways that he was lying to himself when he first left blink in 2005.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers Tom trashing blink in his early AaA years, proclaiming it to only be a band that sang about fucking dogs and little else.  Yet at some point when they first got back together he was talking about how he didn't want to damage the integrity of the band.  At some point he recognized how important blink truly was.  I suppose that I'm asserting it's because he was lying to himself, but it does seem quite possible that he just was kinda blind to the reality of what blink had become by the time he left.  Either way, I do believe that Tom does now recognize the importance and impact of the band on people and the world.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I think Tom knows in a lot of ways that he was lying to himself when he first left blink in 2005.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers Tom trashing blink in his early AaA years, proclaiming it to only be a band that sang about fucking dogs and little else.  Yet at some point when they first got back together he was talking about how he didn't want to damage the integrity of the band.  At some point he recognized how important blink truly was.  I suppose that I'm asserting it's because he was lying to himself, but it does seem quite possible that he just was kinda blind to the reality of what blink had become by the time he left.  Either way, I do believe that Tom does now recognize the importance and impact of the band on people and the world.

Also pain killers.

5 hours ago, NotNow said:

If you think edging has more cultural impact or relevance than any single from enema, toypaj, or untitled; I can only assume you’re a crackhead. 

I don't think "Down", "Always" or "Not Now" (from the Greatest Hits) had that much attention, but I might be wrong. I didn't follow blink until 2006.

I'd agree about every other single from those three albums, though. Add "Dammit" and "Man Overboard" to that.

5 hours ago, fran.182 said:

I don't think "Down", "Always" or "Not Now" (from the Greatest Hits) had that much attention, but I might be wrong. I didn't follow blink until 2006.

I'd agree about every other single from those three albums, though. Add "Dammit" and "Man Overboard" to that.

Down was huge, Always was a favorite of many but not pushed as much, Not Now wasn't pushed as much either and pretty under radar. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Level 3 Alpha-Jan said:

Down was huge, Always was a favorite of many but not pushed as much, Not Now wasn't pushed as much either and pretty under radar. 

Yeah if I remember right, Always was the last single and it was released as the band was pretty much finishing up with the Untitled era, it definitely wasn't pushed very much (despite having the best music video of that era by far).

And then Not Now was literally released while they were broken up, right? I don't think I ever heard that on the radio or anything.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Yeah if I remember right, Always was the last single and it was released as the band was pretty much finishing up with the Untitled era, it definitely wasn't pushed very much (despite having the best music video of that era by far).

And then Not Now was literally released while they were broken up, right? I don't think I ever heard that on the radio or anything.

Didn’t they break up nearly right after the Always video was released?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Level 3 Alpha-Jan said:

I never really thought that Down was huge. Played on MTV a few times due to MTV’s relationship with the band and their record label, but that’s about it 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Didn’t they break up nearly right after the Always video was released?

Looks like the single was released to radio in November 2004, the "hiatus" was announced in February 2005. Maybe the music video was later though?

5 minutes ago, FAP said:

I never really thought that Down was huge. Played on MTV a few times due to MTV’s relationship with the band and their record label, but that’s about it 

Yeah that was one of the first times I had some of my own constructive criticism for the band... haha. Down seemed like such a strange choice for a single, it's a cool song but it's not very radio friendly and doesn't have an "exciting" structure, plus the video was so weird and out of character.

I thought Always would have been a surefire huge hit if it was released that summer instead of Down because it had the most "pop" flavor for Enema/TOYPAJ fans to grab onto at the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FAP said:

It was one of the first songs/videos released off untitled, not saying it was I Miss You or Feeling This huge, but it was really popular to play/watch back then, in comparison to Not Now, Edging, After Midnight, etc etc.  People were either lukewarm to it or thought it was cool and different for blink.  I know a lot of people were singing "down, down down down" back then.

• Wow 1

Just now, Level 3 Alpha-Jan said:

It was one of the first songs/videos released off untitled, not saying it was I Miss You or Feeling This huge, but it was really popular to play/watch back then, in comparison to Not Now, Edging, After Midnight, etc etc.  People were either lukewarm to it or thought it was cool and different for blink.  I know a lot of people were singing "down, down down down" back then.

🤦🏼‍♂️You can’t compare it to these other songs or videos because MTV was already obsolete by the time those were released 

23 minutes ago, FAP said:

You were talking “in comparison” with 3 other songs for which it was the problem. Hence why I said you can’t compare Down to those other songs. Make sense now?

What are you going on about?  If MTV was more relevant during Down that does not change whether it being more relevant or not matters less or more.

35 minutes ago, Level 3 Alpha-Jan said:

What are you going on about?  If MTV was more relevant during Down that does not change whether it being more relevant or not matters less or more.

I’m just going on that you made absolutely zero sense. You compared a song, Down, saying it was popular to play back then , in comparisons to 3 other songs that were released during a different era. I said you can’t compare the popularity between the eras because MTV wasn’t really a thing for those other songs…to which you replied “that isn’t downs problem”….which proves my point in the first place