The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Did you expect to have lunch with him or what Oliver?

When I met him, he definitely went through the motions more than the other AVA guys, but that's to be expected. He was still nice to everyone, he just didn't go out of his way to spark conversation or anything like the others. He also was trailed the entire time by crazy fan girls who wanted to take their picture with him over and over until they got their perfect fucking shot. Can hardly blame him for being like that after so many years of being semi-famous.

Did you expect to have lunch with him or what Oliver?

When I met him, he definitely went through the motions more than the other AVA guys, but that's to be expected. He was still nice to everyone, he just didn't go out of his way to spark conversation or anything like the others. He also was trailed the entire time by crazy fan girls who wanted to take their picture with him over and over until they got their perfect fucking shot. Can hardly blame him for being like that after so many years of being semi-famous.

I didn't say I blamed him nor did I say I expected lunch.....HAHA!

Like you, I could just tell he wasn't into it. The guy in front of me at the signing was all nervous and sweating and saying how much Tom's music meant to him and Tom was just like in the fakest voice ever "Wow, cool, that's great". Tom's  just jaded by it. Not blaming him. Just making an observation.

Ok, fine. Now there are two different questions this raises. Are you ok with that decision? and Do you think Blink misled us otherwise? As you've stated, you are ok with their decision. I am not. These are personal opinions are neither of us is incorrect.

I'd prefer a situation akin to 2003 but events would have to lead to that situation naturally. I wouldn't want them to abandon their sideprojects out of some misguided sense of obligation to us. A forced 2003 type of situation would be worse than the current state of events.

You are incorrect with respect to morality if you wanted them to drop their sideprojects even when they obviously don't want to. You want them to force out a new album out of purely selfish reasons. (Okay, this doesn't technically make you incorrect, merely evil as I stated earlier.)

Disagree. Lets take the phrase "Picking where we left off and then some". If I was writing a book, and I stopped in the middle of writing it and resumed writing that book 6 years later and said "I am picking up where I lelt off and then some".....would you assume that I would write the book as I did before and perhaps a little faster? Or would you assume that I would do it much slower?

The analogy does not apply because blink were not in the middle of writing a new album. They had some ideas for it, but these ended up being used by AvA and +44. They had nothing going on when they returned. They didn't only have to start from scratch but they needed to make sure that they're not too much influenced by their sideprojets, which led them to drop some of the first ideas for the new album, delaying the process.

I think 99% of the people take that phase as "with just as much intensity, if not more, then before". Especially when added to it is stuff like "in the studio recording" and "Summer 2009". The entire paragraph and a lot of what has been said by Blink in the past 2 years has been very misleading and I am of the opinion that you know this and are dodging it because  it would make your opinion on whether they are justified in continuing side projects, less viable.

But I already proved that I didn't believe for a second that they'd drop their sideprojects and as such I could not have expected them to be blink "with just as much intensity, if not more, than before".

They were obviously in the middle of reforming their friendship around the time of the announcement. How could you take the announcement the way you did ("with just as much intensity...")?

BTW, I have actually had people want pictures with me and my autograph. It's a strange feeling. I didn't like it. So I actually have sympathy for Tom. I can't imagine dealing with that.

Getting a passport is pretty annoying!

hahaha

BTW, I have actually had people want pictures with me and my autograph. It's a strange feeling. I didn't like it. So I actually have sympathy for Tom. I can't imagine dealing with that.

HAHA! Something clever coming from you?! Crazy.

It was actually a book signing. Like 50 people showed up, I was shocked. The fact people wanted pictures with me was a little strange.

HAHA! Something clever coming from you?! Crazy.

It was actually a book signing. Like 50 people showed up, I was shocked. The fact people wanted pictures with me was a little strange.

It is a strange feeling, it's happened to me a few times and i dont like it, but i tend to be shy, which may contribute to why i dont like it.

I dont blame tom in the slightest for being jaded by it.

Haha I can imagine a guy sweating balls before meeting Tom and when he gets up to him and says "Your music made me pick up a guitar" Tom would say "Awesome man, thank you." and the two would stand there all awkward until they'd get a picture and then that's the end of it.

That's the exact reason I didn't say anything like that to him. Got my autograph, shook his hand, laughed at a joke, and moved on. Had a good conversation with Matt Wachter though.

Haha I can imagine a guy sweating balls before meeting Tom and when he gets up to him and says "Your music made me pick up a guitar" Tom would say "Awesome man, thank you." and the two would stand there all awkward until they'd get a picture and then that's the end of it.

Yeah, the best way for a fan to handle such a situation is to come up with a specific question. For example, given the chance I would ask him about the artificial nature of the live album. It's probably easier for him to handle such a situation as well. I don't know what kind of a person Tom is, if he wants to hear compliments or not (I don't), but I'm sure he understands that meeting a single fan is probably a thousand times more important to the fan than to him.

Yeah, the best way for a fan to handle such a situation is to come up with a specific question. For example, given the chance I would ask him about the artificial nature of the live album. It's probably easier for him to handle such a situation as well. I don't know what kind of a person Tom is, if he wants to hear compliments or not (I don't), but I'm sure he understands that meeting a single fan is probably a thousand times more important to the fan than to him.

Agreed. That's the best way to approach it. Tom doesn't really need or want to hear compliments, he's heard it all a million times before. He has said in interviews that nervous/heavy breathing guys also creeps him out. Can't blame him for that. And trust me there are plenty of tombot guys who get all worked up meeting him.

"UHHH OHHH MY GOD TOM DELONGE I LOVE YOU" ::Breathing heavy:: "UHHHH OH MAN YOU ARE AMAZING".

It mimics a sexual arousal, and it's just gross.

Ok, fine. Now there are two different questions this raises. Are you ok with that decision? and Do you think Blink misled us otherwise? As you've stated, you are ok with their decision. I am not. These are personal opinions are neither of us is incorrect.

I'd prefer a situation akin to 2003 but events would have to lead to that situation naturally. I wouldn't want them to abandon their sideprojects out of some misguided sense of obligation to us. A forced 2003 type of situation would be worse than the current state of events.

You are incorrect with respect to morality if you wanted them to drop their sideprojects even when they obviously don't want to. You want them to force out a new album out of purely selfish reasons. (Okay, this doesn't technically make you incorrect, merely evil as I stated earlier.)

Disagree. Lets take the phrase "Picking where we left off and then some". If I was writing a book, and I stopped in the middle of writing it and resumed writing that book 6 years later and said "I am picking up where I lelt off and then some".....would you assume that I would write the book as I did before and perhaps a little faster? Or would you assume that I would do it much slower?

The analogy does not apply because blink were not in the middle of writing a new album. They had some ideas for it, but these ended up being used by AvA and +44. They had nothing going on when they returned. They didn't only have to start from scratch but they needed to make sure that they're not too much influenced by their sideprojets, which led them to drop some of the first ideas for the new album, delaying the process.

I think 99% of the people take that phase as "with just as much intensity, if not more, then before". Especially when added to it is stuff like "in the studio recording" and "Summer 2009". The entire paragraph and a lot of what has been said by Blink in the past 2 years has been very misleading and I am of the opinion that you know this and are dodging it because  it would make your opinion on whether they are justified in continuing side projects, less viable.

But I already proved that I didn't believe for a second that they'd drop their sideprojects and as such I could not have expected them to be blink "with just as much intensity, if not more, than before".

They were obviously in the middle of reforming their friendship around the time of the announcement. How could you take the announcement the way you did ("with just as much intensity...")?

If they really would rather dedicate themselves to their side projects, then I am not going to fault them for that. Just like I didn't fault them when they were gone for 5 years. They couldn't get along, they fought etc. The hiatus was understandable. When Tom formed AVA, I was excited, until he went nuts....

I don't want them to force an album. If they aren't into, then they aren't into it.

My only fault is that they fed us bullshit since 2009 and have not delivered on it. If they want to focus on the side projects, that is fine with me, but tell us that!

Like I said before if Blink 182 came out tomorrow and said "album cancelled, it's not working out" I'd be upset, but I'd understand and move on from it.

I still think you are spinning out of a lot of stuff they said in 2009. I don't know how else to really argue it. The statement in my sig is black and white. That statement makes it sound like Blink 182 is back 100% like it was in 2003, when in actuality that was complete and utter bullshit. If you honestly read the statement in my sig and somehow think it indicates otherwise, I have no choice but to believe that you are not being objective about the situation.

Nowhere in that statement did it indicate that Blink 182 would be back on a part time basis with far more dedication to AVA and side ventures. That is SO OBVIOUS!! It says the exact opposite of that.