The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Whenever this gets brought up I always say the same thing:

Do you know there are many more blink boards?  Plus the way he phrased seems like he just mentioned the boards because the other guy said it.  I'm all for thinking Mark comes on here but seriously how big of an ego would you have to have to come on to a fan forum and read about people talking about you all day.

And in terms of the Holmes tweet it came across as bad news when I read it.  Like he's trying to get the single released and the label isn't listening.  Who knows.

Do you know there are many more blink boards?  Plus the way he phrased seems like he just mentioned the boards because the other guy said it.  I'm all for thinking Mark comes on here but seriously how big of an ego would you have to have to come on to a fan forum and read about people talking about you all day.

And in terms of the Holmes tweet it came across as bad news when I read it.  Like he's trying to get the single released and the label isn't listening.  Who knows.

I was actually referencing 182online when I asked him the question. Sorry guys

LOL

LOL

He's their studio engineer, not their manager.  The guy worked hard on some songs today, that's all it meant.

well you said "the blink boards" which would be referring to this site. anyone on tumblr who read the question could google "blink boards" and this is the first result. i don't think 182online even shows up.

I'm all for thinking Mark comes on here but seriously how big of an ego would you have to have to come on to a fan forum and read about people talking about you all day.

I don't think you need an ego for that. If someone started a topic about you, you'd read it. Obviously there are tons of topics about Mark/blink; he may occasionally read what hc fans are writing about the band, just to see how they react to, say, news. It's like market research.

For those wondering about Chris Holmes role:

He is a studio engineer for the band, he doesn't do the final mastering of the song.

Chris + whoever else they are using as engineers will hand in the final mix of the song with all the instruments/vocals EQ'd perfectly.

The song will then be mastered (balancing bass, treble, volume, etc perfectly for a number of mediums) by a professional, as already mentioned this is usually Tom Lord-Alge.

Just realized that if they're releasing a single, then we're finally gonna start to see some sort of album art too (for the single anyway).

if you recall here was the album art for Feeling This, prior to the album's release:

Blink-182_-_feeling_this.jpg

Feeling This practically gave away the album art, though at the time I think we might have known already what the real album art would look like

For those wondering about Chris Holmes role:

He is a studio engineer for the band, he doesn't do the final mastering of the song.

Chris + whoever else they are using as engineers will hand in the final mix of the song with all the instruments/vocals EQ'd perfectly.

The song will then be mastered (balancing bass, treble, volume, etc perfectly for a number of mediums) by a professional, as already mentioned this is usually Tom Lord-Alge.

sorry dude but when you're trying to explain something make sure you know your stuff.

holmes as a studio engineer oversees the recording process and makes sure everything gets recorded as good as possible. but i bet they still use another professional producer who gives them a hand on finding the best micing situations / sounds and even helps them in terms of song structures. by the way that's what jerry finn used to do before he died.

AFTER that the recorded tracks get send to a professional mixing engineer. he's the guy who mixes and eqs everything perfectly. in case of most high budget rock productions these days this would be one of the lord-alge brother (chris or tom).

and after THAT the mixed tracks get send to the mastering studio where again someone else (but NOT the lord-alges as they are mixers) masters the tracks to fit all together on the final album. meaning that guy makes sure all tracks have the same level and just kinda sound like they fit on the same cd together. then this masterd version of all tracks is ready to be released.

i hope this clears up all the questions on the whole recording process once and for all ;)