The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Does anyone else get the impression that Kaleidoscope was another song that only Mark worked on?  I mean aside from Tom's vocals, it sounds like Mark and Travis did the rest.  The guitar seems far too basic to be Tom's work.  So pretty much, songs that Tom didn't put much work into: MH, Fighting the Gravity, Hearts All Gone, and Kaleidoscope.  That's pretty crazy.

That's pretty self-evident. There's no way Tom played or wrote the guitar parts on, say, Kaleidoscope.

And it brings down the quality of those songs.

The guitar on the chorus sounds like it could be him, but the verses sound straight up like +44. It's kinda funny that people have complained about Neighborhoods having too much AVA influence, but I hear a lot more +44 sounding stuff than AVA. But I don't care, that's who these guys are. It would be nuts to not expect to hear the influence of those bands.

The guitar on the chorus sounds like it could be him, but the verses sound straight up like +44. It's kinda funny that people have complained about Neighborhoods having too much AVA influence, but I hear a lot more +44 sounding stuff than AVA. But I don't care, that's who these guys are. It would be nuts to not expect to hear the influence of those bands.

I haven't really seen many people complain about it sounding like AVA, I've always thought it sounds more +44 like.

LMAO!

Well I decided to watch it. I guess its the first time I've seem a collage of footage spanning their entire career.

Don't remember claiming it was the best and most unoriginal Blink video ever made...

You posted that a couple weeks ago. The only difference in the post was the last one said "got bored today."

Haha I know, this will be the last time I post it.

Not sure if it's been discussed before, so I'll just post it here:

Does anyone else get the impression that Kaleidoscope was another song that only Mark worked on?  I mean aside from Tom's vocals, it sounds like Mark and Travis did the rest.  The guitar seems far too basic to be Tom's work.  So pretty much, songs that Tom didn't put much work into: MH, Fighting the Gravity, Hearts All Gone, and Kaleidoscope.  That's pretty crazy.

my friend did the boomer loves boobies thing and asked tom about the lyrics in the chorus and tom said "you'd have to ask mr hoppus about that one", so i think its safe to say at the very least tom had no input on the lyrics of that song.

I don't understand why that's so crazy.

I don't understand why that's so crazy.

It's crazy considering how little chemistry they have now compared to every previous album.

In the past Mark has written entire songs lyrics and guitar parts, but Tom would record most if not all of the guitars.  (The Rock Show is an example of this)  The only difference now is Mark recorded the guitar parts he wrote.  And this was because they were under a deadline, if they had more time I'm sure Tom would have recorded those guitar parts.  It seriously doesn't bother me at all.

In the past Mark has written entire songs lyrics and guitar parts, but Tom would record most if not all of the guitars.  (The Rock Show is an example of this)  The only difference now is Mark recorded the guitar parts he wrote.  And this was because they were under a deadline, if they had more time I'm sure Tom would have recorded those guitar parts.  It seriously doesn't bother me at all.

Didn't Mark also write the intro to Dammit?  Can't remember where I heard that, but I have a vague memory of it.

And the deadline part is entirely irrelevant.  They took their sweet ass time on this album, that's such a bullshit excuse.  Tom didn't record the guitar bits because:

A) They recorded the album separately, far apart from each other.

B) Tom was busy with AvA's movie and Love Part 2 (this was never the case in the past).

meh, the album is awesome.

Yeah it's good, but not as awesome as their other albums.

I can't fathom how a true Blink fan would think this album comes close to past efforts.  I don't blame a lot of you though, the novelty of having them back together will take a while to wear off.

I enjoy their past work more because of nostalgia and what not, but musically, neighborhoods kicks the shit out of all of their programmed pop punk from enema and TOYPAJ.

neighborhoods is a great album.

and btw, could there be anything more retarded than the "true blink fan" crap? lol shut the fuck up tard.

meh, the album is awesome.

Yeah it's good, but not as awesome as their other albums.

I can't fathom how a true Blink fan would think this album comes close to past efforts.  I don't blame a lot of you though, the novelty of having them back together will take a while to wear off.

I enjoy their past work more because of nostalgia and what not, but musically, neighborhoods kicks the shit out of all of their programmed pop punk from enema and TOYPAJ.

neighborhoods is a great album.

and btw, could there be anything more retarded than the "true blink fan" crap? lol shut the fuck up tard.

By true Blink fan, I meant someone that enjoys this album because it's Blink, and not because it's new and fresh.

The two reasons I don't enjoy this album as much is because of the lack of chemistry (already mentioned above), and how some of the songs are skip tracks.  This is the first Blink album that has skip tracks for me (Fighting the Gravity, Love is Dangerous), so that kind of sucks.  And the lyrics are BRUTAL in some songs (Love is Dangerous - worst chorus in any Blink song, ever).

i hated Love is Dangerous at first, but I really like it now.

It bums me out, instrumentally the song is awesome.  The verses are pretty decent, and the distortion on Tom's voice is cool.  But the chorus is something that a middle school kid would write.  It's just so terrible, it makes me want to punch Tom in the face.

Really enjoy this album but it isn't their best in my opinion. While they are at their best in terms of songwriting and instrumental work, it just doesn't beat out the self-titled album. Self-titled had this raw energy and a consistent flow to it. Sometimes I feel like Neighborhoods pulls in different directions; it's not a big deal but I notice it a bit when you go from a track like MH 4.18.2011 to Love Is Dangerous. Maybe that's from recording in seperate studios. Not trying to bitch since I love Neigborhoods but little things like that keep it from being numero uno for me.

If they did spend a load of time in a recording space together I think we'd get an unreal album.