The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I've been thinking lately that Blink doesn't have a whole lot of b-sides. I've been downloading a bunch of Green Day songs I never knew existed off iTunes and wish I could do the same for blink. Find it hard to believe they have no unrecorded content.

Word would be cool if on their downtime between records they recorded a cover song maybe or just a random b-side or something.

I've been thinking lately that Blink doesn't have a whole lot of b-sides. I've been downloading a bunch of Green Day songs I never knew existed off iTunes and wish I could do the same for blink. Find it hard to believe they have no unrecorded content.

Word would be cool if on their downtime between records they recorded a cover song maybe or just a random b-side or something.

you would think they have time to do such a thing

okay mark has his tv show, tom has ava

but they recorded ''enema of the state'' in like a few weeks?

they all own home studios (well i know tom does)

they could record a b-side or new song in a few days..... i don't get why bands don't do this very often

ps. it would be so awesome if they would re-record enema, just too hear how the sound has changed :P....just sayin

I've been thinking about the Buddha record lately and inside the booklet it states that there are 24 tracks included or "cries for help" as it is stated. But as we all know, there's only 14 here. With songs like Degenerate, Transvestite, and The Family Next Door being the only tracks on the original cassette version, what happened to the 7 or so other songs? Has anyone figured this one out?

24 was a typo, it's 14.

I guess. It also said the band recorded this in 1995, which is wrong. I also wonder why only 10 songs included lyrics.

The band is pretty insecure about their material I think.  The reason there are no b-sides is probably the same reason they didn't play UAL on the reunion tour.  They don't want to release things in an unfinished or live state.  If they decide not to continue with a song and put it on the record it's because they don't think it's good enough and therefore don't want to show anyone.  There are probably a bunch of half finished, or finished songs that will never see the light of day.

It's a little bit weird but also understandable.

I've been thinking about the Buddha record lately and inside the booklet it states that there are 24 tracks included or "cries for help" as it is stated. But as we all know, there's only 14 here. With songs like Degenerate, Transvestite, and The Family Next Door being the only tracks on the original cassette version, what happened to the 7 or so other songs? Has anyone figured this one out?

well there's also this but no one really knows when the songs were recorded or if it was even a "buddha promo"

http://www.last.fm/music/blink-182/Buddha+Promo+Tape

If anyone interested, I made a little overview of the early releases (+ the re-release of Buddha) with dates and tracklists and other info... I find it interesting that they made 5 albums/demos in 10 months. (Well, it's not extraordinary. See the last part for how many times did they reuse songs.)

Flyswatter

It was recorded in May, 1993 in Scott's bedroom, and released as home-made cassettes; maximum 500 copies...

01 - Reebok Commercial

02 - Time

03 - Red Skies

04 - Alone

05 - Point Of View

06 - Marlboro Man

07 - The Longest Line

08 - Freak Scene

[untitled 2nd demo] (aka. Chinese Hoax)

I guess this demo was just a test of Pat Secor's studio (blink was the first and only band at Filter Records). They recorded it in 1993, after Flyswatter and before Buddha. (Handed to friends only; shared with the public in September 2004...)

01 - Marlboro Man

02 - Time

03 - TV

04 - Degenerate

05 - Everytime

06 - Better Days

07 - Sometimes

08 - Point Of View

09 - Romeo And Rebecca

10 - My Pet Sally

11 - Reebok Commercial

12 - Leave Me Alone

Buddha

This demo was recorded and released by Filter Records in 1993.

01 - Carousel

02 - TV

03 - Strings

04 - Fentoozler

05 - Time

06 - Romeo And Rebecca

07 - 21 Days

08 - Sometimes

09 - Degenerate

10 - Point Of View

11 - My Pet Sally

12 - Reebok Commercial

13 - Toast And Bananas

14 - The Family Next Door

15 - Transvestite

[untitled 4th demo] (aka. the Buddha promo tape)

Recorded at the same time as Buddha; unreleased. (As I remember it was shared by the same guy who shared the 2nd demo - daveyjones @ punktorrents.com - but I can't remember when...)

01 - A New Hope

02 - The Girl Next Door

03 - Enthused

04 - Ben Wah Balls

05 - Does My Breath Smell?

06 - I Just Wanna See You

07 - Wasting Time

08 - Don't

Cheshire Cat

First released on cassette on February 17, 1994 by Grilled Cheese. (Advanced copies were available weeks before.)

01 - Carousel

02 - M+M's

03 - Fentoozler

04 - Touchdown Boy

05 - Strings

06 - Peggy Sue

07 - Sometimes

08 - Does My Breath Smell?

09 - Cacophony

10 - TV

11 - Toast And Bananas

12 - Wasting Time

13 - Romeo And Rebecca

14 - Ben Wah Balls

15 - Just About Done

16 - Depends

Buddha

Remastered by Mark Hoppus, (re-)released by Kung Fu Records on October 27, 1998.

01 - Carousel

02 - TV

03 - Strings

04 - Fentoozler

05 - Time

06 - Romeo And Rebecca

07 - 21 Days

08 - Sometimes

09 - Point Of View

10 - My Pet Sally

11 - Reebok Commercial

12 - Toast And Bananas

13 - The Girl Next Door

14 - Don't

And here's the summary of the songs from the above demos/albums in the order of the first occurence of songs. (The 3-letter codes are for FLYswatter, 2ND demo, BUDdha, 4TH demo, CHEshire Cat, and Buddha REMastered...)

FLY 01 - Reebok Commercial

2ND 11 - Reebok Commercial

BUD 12 - Reebok Commercial

REM 11 - Reebok Commercial

FLY 02 - Time

2ND 02 - Time

BUD 05 - Time

REM 05 - Time

FLY 03 - Red Skies

FLY 04 - Alone

FLY 05 - Point Of View

2ND 08 - Point Of View

BUD 10 - Point Of View

REM 09 - Point Of View

FLY 06 - Marlboro Man

2ND 01 - Marlboro Man

FLY 07 - The Longest Line

FLY 08 - Freak Scene

2ND 03 - TV

BUD 02 - TV

CHE 10 - TV

REM 02 - TV

2ND 04 - Degenerate

BUD 09 - Degenerate

2ND 05 - Everytime

2ND 06 - Better Days

2ND 07 - Sometimes

BUD 08 - Sometimes

CHE 07 - Sometimes

REM 08 - Sometimes

2ND 09 - Romeo And Rebecca

BUD 06 - Romeo And Rebecca

CHE 13 - Romeo And Rebecca

REM 06 - Romeo And Rebecca

2ND 10 - My Pet Sally

BUD 11 - My Pet Sally

REM 10 - My Pet Sally

2ND 12 - Leave Me Alone

BUD 01 - Carousel

CHE 01 - Carousel

REM 01 - Carousel

BUD 03 - Strings

CHE 05 - Strings

REM 03 - Strings

BUD 04 - Fentoozler

CHE 03 - Fentoozler

REM 04 - Fentoozler

BUD 07 - 21 Days

REM 07 - 21 Days

BUD 13 - Toast And Bananas

CHE 11 - Toast And Bananas

REM 12 - Toast And Bananas

BUD 14 - The Family Next Door

BUD 15 - Transvestite

4TH 01 - A New Hope

4TH 02 - The Girl Next Door

REM 13 - The Girl Next Door

4TH 03 - Enthused

4TH 04 - Ben Wah Balls

4TH 05 - Does My Breath Smell?

CHE 08 - Does My Breath Smell?

4TH 06 - I Just Wanna See You

4TH 07 - Wasting Time

CHE 12 - Wasting Time

4TH 08 - Don't

REM 14 - Don't

CHE 02 - M+M's

CHE 04 - Touchdown Boy

CHE 06 - Peggy Sue

CHE 09 - Cacophony

CHE 14 - Ben Wah Balls

CHE 15 - Just About Done

CHE 16 - Depends

[untitled 4th demo] (aka. the Buddha promo tape)

Recorded at the same time as Buddha; unreleased. (As I remember it was shared by the same guy who shared the 2nd demo - daveyjones @ punktorrents.com - but I can't remember when...)

01 - A New Hope

02 - The Tom Gabel Next Door

03 - Enthused

04 - Ben Wah Balls

05 - Does My Breath Smell?

06 - I Just Wanna See You

07 - Wasting Time

08 - Don't

"06 - I Just Wanna See You" is considered to be the original Voyeur, just to clear that up.

And Transvestite was on there too.

btw: LOL at "The Tom Gabel Next Door"

The only b-side I can think of is Zulu.

wrecked him?

What went wrong, don't tell me that it's over, time to breakup, mothers day, fuck a dog, when you fucked grandpa, words of wisdom.  Not to mention all the live track b-sides and all the rarities like dancing with myself, dead man curve, family reunion, etc.

wrecked him?

What went wrong, don't tell me that it's over, time to breakup, mothers day, fuck a dog, when you fucked grandpa, words of wisdom.  Not to mention all the live track b-sides and all the rarities like dancing with myself, dead man curve, family reunion, etc.

the latter three i'm not so sure about, but certainly the ones in bold were never, ever 'b-sides.' i think your understanding of what a b-side is is wrong.

There's no such thing as a b-side that is on album. A b-side is exactly that. The other side of side A, and always used to describe the other side of the single (7") - those tracks should be referred to as bonus tracks. They were never the other side of a single, even in an age where singles were not likely to be put on 7 inch discs.

They were on the rock show, first date, etc singles as b-sides.

Exactly, technically the early version of violence was a b-side to the feeling this single, not now was a b-side as was the James Guthrie remix of I Miss You and the TLA alt mix of Down

wrecked him?

I disagree.

Wrecked Him is one of my all time favorite songs by them!

Me too! But I consider it an A-side like Man overboard, I won't be home for christmas etc.