The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

12 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Of course if someone offered me a position in Blink 182, I'd jump at it, and I'd gladly accept some bloated salary to do it. I'd get on my knees and ask Feldman what he likes......

But that's ME now. That's not ME as Matt who already had an established band and a good thing,

You over estimate the money popular musicians make. 

• Like 3

originally skiba stepped in for a show (or a few shows). then they decided to try to work as a real band, started writing together, and almost completed an album.

then - mystery goes here - someone decided that those songs are not good enough (they were "a mixture of blink and alkaline trio"), so they started over the creation with feldmann. and had a deadline to release the album within 6 months.

the new plan obviously was to quickly write a "blink sounding" album. skiba obviously didn't know and still doesn't know how to write tom delonge songs, but he was forced to try it. or he was helped out by feldmann. the result is the same strumming pattern and a similar progression for a lot of new songs. (we've all seen that youtube video that showcases it.)

all of these are old news, we speculated it since day 1, and we'll probably never know more details about it, just our speculations. so we should get over it.

hopefully the next album will be different: they won't need to prove that they are the good old blink-182. matt is accepted as the new member, let's see what he's capable of. they can be more progressive, they can mix blink's sound with skiba's sound. even if feldmann will be the producer, this time there is a chance that they won't throw away a song that sounds too alkaline trio-ish. (and of course if skiba is allowed to bring in his own style, they won't need feldmann's help in songwriting.)

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

originally skiba stepped in for a show (or a few shows). then they decided to try to work as a real band, started writing together, and almost completed an album.

then - mystery goes here - someone decided that those songs are not good enough (they were "a mixture of blink and alkaline trio"), so they started over the creation with feldmann. and had a deadline to release the album within 6 months.

the new plan obviously was to quickly write a "blink sounding" album. skiba obviously didn't know and still doesn't know how to write tom delonge songs, but he was forced to try it. or he was helped out by feldmann. the result is the same strumming pattern and a similar progression for a lot of new songs. (we've all seen that youtube video that showcases it.)

all of these are old news, we speculated it since day 1, and we'll probably never know more details about it, just our speculations. so we should get over it.

hopefully the next album will be different: they won't need to prove that they are the good old blink-182. matt is accepted as the new member, let's see what he's capable of. they can be more progressive, they can mix blink's sound with skiba's sound. even if feldmann will be the producer, this time there is a chance that they won't throw away a song that sounds too alkaline trio-ish. (and of course if skiba is allowed to bring in his own style, they won't need feldmann's help in songwriting.)

It’s no mystery. Feldman literally told them it was no good. They gave the songs to Feldman for his opinion and he said two to three songs sounded good but it didn’t sound like real blink so they started working with him and wrote bored to death and decided they wanted to stick with it after that. Feldman said that’s what happened in an interview.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Flagged as in full on strike? or just demonitized?

Oh no, demonetised and restricted by country, although not sure which countries. 

2 hours ago, Kay said:

Before he joined blink, Skiba's estimated worth was 2mil. 

Sounds right.

He was already set for life.

Again, I wouldn't personally give up artistic control for that. But that's just me.

BTW Kay, I checked out your band, listened to some of the songs, watched the videos. Pretty good stuff. I can buy your album when it comes out, I like supporting stuff like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Sounds right.

He was already set for life.

Again, I wouldn't personally give up artistic control for that. But that's just me.

BTW Kay, I checked out your band, listened to some of the songs, watched the videos. Pretty good stuff. I can buy your album when it comes out, I like supporting stuff like that.

Band? I'm solo at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Oh, but who are all those people you got playing with you?

oh right - For my EPs launch gig, I'm having a one off backing band just for then - the old drummer from my old band and our friend Ben. We're going to be starting a punk band soon once my EP is out but neither were involved with the writing or recording process of the EP - That was basically all me except the Drums and some keys which was my producer, and he and another guitarist added some extra guitars but the main guitars, bass, vocals, etc is all me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NotNow said:

It’s no mystery. Feldman literally told them it was no good. They gave the songs to Feldman for his opinion and he said two to three songs sounded good but it didn’t sound like real blink so they started working with him and wrote bored to death and decided they wanted to stick with it after that. Feldman said that’s what happened in an interview.

i don't remember that feldmann was the one who rejected those songs. he just confirmed (agreed with) the official story, he might not even listen to those songs. that's why i still refer to it as a mystery. but one thing is sure: they wanted an album that sounds as poppy as enema of the state, and the previous songs were not this category.

5 hours ago, Kay said:

Before he joined blink, Skiba's estimated worth was 2mil. 

Keep in mind that Matt Wachter’s “net worth” was 2 million as well and he was so broke he started selling his AVA bass guitars for $700 on eBay lol, he even had a funny hashtag saying Google’s net worths are way off.

2 million net worth for 25 years of blood/sweat/tears is not that much. That’s basically 80k/year and in LA that’s not very good. 

Dan/Derek literally play at stinky bars to 100 people, solo Skiba probably wouldn’t do much better. He probably gets 100k+ per Blink show. I’d sign up for that in 2 seconds, especially if you don’t even have to write the songs and get free donuts!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

i don't remember that feldmann was the one who rejected those songs. 

He was on some podcast with 2 weird dudes in a kitchen and he came out and said that they had been writing and were looking for a producer, Trav mentioned Feldy (because Feldy had slid into Trav’s DMs). They brought what they had made to him, and he said it was “too Alk3. Some hints of Blink, some Alk3” and he recommended they come over to work on a song. First day they wrote BTD and they worked so well that they pumped out 30 songs and scratched everything prior. 

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

He was on some podcast with 2 weird dudes in a kitchen and he came out and said that they had been writing and were looking for a producer, Trav mentioned Feldy (because Feldy had slid into Trav’s DMs). They brought what they had made to him, and he said it was “too Alk3. Some hints of Blink, some Alk3” and he recommended they come over to work on a song. First day they wrote BTD and they worked so well that they pumped out 30 songs and scratched everything prior. 

I think it was Alabama who told Travis Feldmann was producing “all the popular bands”. 

ah, i guess i missed that podcast.

but after all, the motivation behind it was to make an album that sounds like good old pop punk blink for the average listeners. not for blink fans.

i usually don't criticize feldmann's work on the album, because california is not bad at all, but i criticize him for not knowing blink at all... they should have release 2 songs before making an album, put them online, and collect the reactions from people who really care about blink's music. (jerry finn did something like this, before they made enema he attended to blink shows and asked fans what they like in blink's music.) this way california could have been more original, more natural... feldmann just listened to the hits, and tried to recreate some mixtures of them.