The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

5 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

I don't see how you can objectively dislike Feeling This, Here's Your Letter, Violence, Stockholm Syndrome, Easy Target, Asthenia as a blink fan. Such perfect songs.

Then you don't see objectivity.

tenor.gif?itemid=11176079

11 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

What's everyone's opinion on this ? 

I disagree with a lot of it to be honest. From people I know, people hate blink because they're not a "real" rock band and assume they're a boy band with guitars. People hate them cause of the All the Small Things song and don't seem to understand blink were taking the piss out of generic boy bands with the video, especially older middle aged men obsessed with rock music.

Then there's punk people who can't stand that blink went to a major record label and went mainstream, which is also in the video. Probably the only one I agree with. As for the nananas, I've never heard anyone complain about that outside of blink fans regarding the California album. They rarely used nananas before. Enema has 2 songs with nanas and TOYPAJ only has 1 if I remember correctly. So 3 songs in their entire catalogue with nanas.

People also don't hate blink cause of Tom leaving either. In the general public blink are known as blink, not by the names of the band members. Most people won't even know who the fuck Mark Hoppus and Tom DeLonge are. There's people who probably think Skiba is Tom.

As for the joke songs like Fuck a Dog, in fact when it comes to people I know (even the ones that HATE blink) they like the joke songs. The only other aspect about blink that I probably agree with on the video is the live show. Blink have always been pretty bad live but sounding great with the odd show now and then. But this guy was saying they have no presence and stand around a lot. Nah, blink oozed stage presence with Tom in the band. Even when he was stood still. Reading + Leeds 2014, they sounded fucking awful but that stage presence was top level IMO.

Travis & Mark are pretty energetic too. Mark has always bounced to the opposite side of the stage but he's almost 50 now, so he's not gonna be as energetic as before, but he 100% has fun on the stage. As does Travis. Hell, even Tom loved being there. Even when Tom left again, Travis said himself that the only thing Tom ever seemed interested in was touring and performing. Might've been for the money but Tom clearly had fun on the stage.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

What's everyone's opinion on this ? 

Only one I really agree with is the blink not being a punk band, you really heard that from  punkers.

I'd say 90% of people who hate on blink, from my experience, couldn't handle Tom's voice. It's just very divisive. They thought it was way too ridiculous, couldn't take it serious and over the top.  Granted that's a reason why a lot of people love blink. A lot of them would never mind Mark & Travis parts either.  Heck I remember hesitating to show ppl blink for this very reason.

The rest I think just hated the mainstream punk genre, hated emo that came from I Miss You video, or recognized them as their biggest hits (ATST, First Date, WMAA, or I Miss You).

The sloppy live playing was just added to it, but I don't think anyone was saying 'yup, this is the  reason I hate them'.

Oh, and California doesn't count.

7 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

I disagree with a lot of it to be honest. From people I know, people hate blink because they're not a "real" rock band and assume they're a boy band with guitars. People hate them cause of the All the Small Things song and don't seem to understand blink were taking the piss out of generic boy bands with the video, especially older middle aged men obsessed with rock music.

I've literally never met anyone who didn't understand that the ATST video was a parody. It's blatantly obvious. Now, there are people who lump them in together with the bands/artists in the videos they were making fun of because the song is poppy, the video got a lot of play on MTV, they're conventionally attractive guys and many fans during their heyday were pre-teen and teenaged girls. Anyone with an IQ above 60 could tell the ATST video is satire.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

So the “Nananana” in Drug was intentional, and Mark answers about co-writers:

https://www.altpress.com/features/mark-hoppus-alex-gaskarth-simple-creatures-interview/

"Simple Creatures are way more Alex and I wanting to do something different than our regular bands"

Isn't this exactly what Boxcar was to Tom?..

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

How many times can they refer Simple Creatures as 'Trashy' ? 

I hate it. I try to give Mark the benefit of the doubt because I love the guy but he seriously continues to be this cringelord. Dare I say edgelord?

I have nothing against Simple Creatures at all but where do they get the idea everyone was waiting around in anticipation discussing what it was going to sound like?  It doesn't sound far off from what I expected.  Middle finger to our expectations what?  

4 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

I hate it. I try to give Mark the benefit of the doubt because I love the guy but he seriously continues to be this cringelord. Dare I say edgelord?

I have nothing against Simple Creatures at all but where do they get the idea everyone was waiting around in anticipation discussing what it was going to sound like?  It doesn't sound far off from what I expected.  Middle finger to our expectations what?  

"You expected us to write simplistic earworms that don't remotely reflect our lives age or class with guitar lead music,  but we fooled you! We threw the guitars out! Take that! We're so rebellious in our recording mansion"

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Kay said:

"You expected us to write simplistic earworms that don't remotely reflect our lives age or class with guitar lead music,  but we fooled you! We threw the guitars out! Take that! We're so rebellious in our recording mansion"

Mark- “And we’ll put na-na’s in our shit even though we know you’re sick of them”

Alex- “Yea take that!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NJansaid said:

Don't you be using my pet name on other men, you bastard!

1 hour ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

Don't you be using my pet name on other men, you bastard!

Not sure what else to call it.  I've felt this way ever since he started hyping this 'mischievious bunny' thing and tried playing this metally riff on Hearts All Gone.  Now giving the F-YOU to fans? 6/8, mischievous cartoon stuff, it all seems edgey for a 40 year old.

So what I gather about mark and this whole simple creatures thing is: 

1. He was butt hurt that fans were hating on California.

2. He was sick of hearing people bitch about toms lack of musical and stage presence all over social media.

3. He was/is frustrated that he can’t write good music on his own anymore.

4. All these things culminated and contributed to his depression which led to the genesis of simple creatures.

...and his plan was to team up with/hire songwriters for his side project and for blink (again?!). and now he’s openly pissed at the fans. Real smooth. if TTS is toms mid life crisis this era is certainly marks.

1 hour ago, NJansaid said:

Not sure what else to call it.  I've felt this way ever since he started hyping this 'mischievious bunny' thing and tried playing this metally riff on Hearts All Gone.  Now giving the F-YOU to fans? 6/8, mischievous cartoon stuff, it all seems edgey for a 40 year old.

I just wanted to mean more to you.