The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, NJansaid said:

You're correlating what the casual fan will like the most and what car the band member is able to afford after as what determines the quality of the album..

Congrats, you've officially entered Kansas City Meltdown territory.

lolwut

2 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

and yet they still play EOTS stuff all the time... gee. If Mark was really this master "ego protector of Travis" they shouldn't be playing any EOTS according to the #FanFic above. Trav wanted to play new DLX songs, Mark said no... sure didn't care too much about his "ego" then... 

Mark would literally rather make Matt karaoke Anthem 2 from a teleprompter than play a Dude Ranch song, and it has nothing to do with who originally hit the drums behind him when it was recorded. DR is just a very niche album and over the years they have much more material that they, and others prefer. Which is why they (and Trav!) had no problem playing DR songs in 98,99, then cut some for EOTS songs, kept going, then cut some for TOYPAJ, Untitled, and here we are.

And again, I love Dude Ranch.

I'm not leaving Mark out of this, he's the stingy controlling one. I just think Travis is sad about it and possibly why he has to over compensate by dating a Kardashian, buy expensive cars, sue regular folks and so on.

no one is armchair diagnosing Travis' clinical narcissism from a distance or whatever. concluding that the band won't play songs from Dude Ranch partially because Travis doesn't like that it was made without him is like deducing that one of the reasons mark brought on co-writers is because he's insecure about his songwriting abilities. and both of them have spoken about those things to some extent, right? travis' deal with dude ranch is not a wild idea.

7 minutes ago, Nasa said:

why is it far-fetched to think that one of the reasons they don't play that many songs from Dude Ranch is because Travis has a big ego? hahaha.

It is such a ridiculous theory IMHO. Trav stepped in and was fine playing it for years, got big with the band the same time Mark/Tom did. He kept playing it until they had newer better material to replace it with and it naturally moved off the setlist. He has no problem playing Dammit for the past 20 years, Josie occasionally, played Dick Lips awhile back, hell they had 4-5 DR songs on the practice set list before the Vegas shows just a few months ago... DR is not some "black sheep" that they shy away from because it hurts Trav's feelings deep down, it simply does not hold up to their later releases in their opinion, and most fans.

Travis will play on absolutely anything ranging from Pitbull to Avril Lavigne, he does not give a shit about DR or who originally recorded the drums. Most fans don't even know Blink had an original drummer, and he would make it his own anyway. And again, Mark makes these calls, and given the popular theory that he is #desperate, if DR had all the popular hits everyone wanted to hear, he would play them all, right???!  Not to mention the fact that Trav is probably the most humble/chill of the bunch... (inb4 kyle brings up domestic dispute)

And I love how it is a #KansasCityMeltdown to point out what is obvious: DR isn't as popular as EOTS/TOYPAJ/Untitled which is why they don't play it as much.

And yet the Dr. Phil episode of "Trav's feelings r hurt by Mark's old stuff" is considered halfway valid? LOL

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

It is such a ridiculous theory IMHO. Trav stepped in and was fine playing it for years, got big with the band the same time Mark/Tom did. He kept playing it until they had newer better material to replace it with and it naturally moved off the setlist. He has no problem playing Dammit for the past 20 years, Josie occasionally, played Dick Lips awhile back, hell they had 4-5 DR songs on the practice set list before the Vegas shows just a few months ago... DR is not some "black sheep" that they shy away from because it hurts Trav's feelings deep down, it simply does not hold up to their later releases in their opinion, and most fans.

Travis will play on absolutely anything ranging from Pitbull to Avril Lavigne, he does not give a shit about DR or who originally recorded the drums. Most fans don't even know Blink had an original drummer, and he would make it his own anyway. And again, Mark makes these calls, and given the popular theory that he is #desperate, if DR had all the popular hits everyone wanted to hear, he would play them all, right???!  Not to mention the fact that Trav is probably the most humble/chill of the bunch... (inb4 kyle brings up domestic dispute)

And I love how it is a #KansasCityMeltdown to point out what is obvious: DR isn't as popular as EOTS/TOYPAJ/Untitled which is why they don't play it as much.

And yet the Dr. Phil episode of "Trav's feelings r hurt by Mark's old stuff" is considered halfway valid? LOL

i think the idea makes sense to some extent given what we know about travis and who he is as a person. why can't there be multiple reasons as to why we think why they don't play a lot of stuff from dude ranch?

DR is hands down my favorite album, it really isn't a close decision for me either.  Do I expect them to EVER play anything besides Dammit and Josie from it? NO.

Blink's decision making regarding set list choice really shoots all of these arm-chair psychologist theories down.  

They play stuff that is popular because their audience is so diverse.  They have never been a spontaneous band, and never will.  There is no deep-state conspiracy.

10 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

I still wish they would play those instead of a bunch of Neighborhoods/California songs that nobody knows either

They don't play NH songs anymore, probably because of Trav's #ego and how #sad he gets thinking of the time period IMO. Definitely not because they don't like the songs anymore and have better ones to play that people want to hear. Definitely not that. 

6 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

They removed most of the Dude Ranch and Cheshire Cat songs back around 2001.

we were complaining in 97 when most of the set was dude ranch and not cheshire cat. personally i was bummed when they dropped touchdown boy. but it was also great to hear new material live after two years of basically the same setlist.

5 hours ago, Bucko said:

From 2:25 is my favourite ending to a live song ever.

Down is a quality song.

Yeah, i've always liked the outro for Down they do live. It's partly why I don't mind them playing that song live all the time. I do think the live version of it from 2004 is way better though. Prefer the outro from 2004 than the recent ones that just sound like AVA in the outro, even if it does sound good.

Listen from 2.45 and onwards

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, i've always liked the outro for Down they do live. It's partly why I don't mind them playing that song live all the time. I do think the live version of it from 2004 is way better though. Prefer the outro from 2004 than the recent ones that just sound like AVA in the outro, even if it does sound good.

Listen from 2.45 and onwards

I think it’s their best live song to be honest. 

• Like 1