The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Blink are going to be on the front cover of Kerrang next week. I've just bought this weeks, the album got 3/5 and there's a small interview with Mark saying they aren't a pop punk band anymore, they're a rock band.

:-o

And that second part's right. Infact, they've only had 2 fully pop-punk albums and everything else has been a mix of pop-punk, punk-rock and just rock in general. Never really got why they've always been classed as as pop-punk band.

Blink are going to be on the front cover of Kerrang next week. I've just bought this weeks, the album got 3/5 and there's a small interview with Mark saying they aren't a pop punk band anymore, they're a rock band.

:-o

And that second part's right. Infact, they've only had 2 fully pop-punk albums and everything else has been a mix of pop-punk, punk-rock and just rock in general. Never really got why they've always been classed as as pop-punk band.

probably because they defined the genre for the mainstream listeners by being the most popular melodic punk-rock band out there. most of people don't know bands like home grown, bowling for soup (and all the other synth powered power-pop bands, fountains of wayne, jimmy eat world). but blink's been known by everyone, and their most succesful single "all the small things" is THE pop-punk song, the benchmark of everything labelled as pop-punk.

i used to be big fan of pop punk bands, but to be honest, i don't like those bands anymore, and don't listen to that kind of music since blink's 2003 record. that album opened new doors for me in music, i started to listen to the cure and other great bands, and after such classics, pop punk seems too simple and repetitive... what today's pop-punk bands do (simple plan, good charlotte, sum 41, new found glory, etc - well, they're not even pop punk now) is the definition of crap, boring, meaningless music. one good song per albums and the rest is under criticism. (for example, "can't keep my hands off you" is the only good song from the new sp album.)

i'm happy with the new blink. "neighborhoods" is modern and classic. it has elements from the best of the "pop-punk blink", and omits the too simple forms. and they could do it without being artsy or without rewriting one good song ten times to make a uniform flow for the album. so it's not what pop-punk is about nowadays.

so im at school and im doing some deep bullshit blink reading and i found this. an old as interview with Tom by Guitar Center.

GC: Blink has a pretty straightforward sound. Do you use any pedals or effects?

Tom: Sound from the amplifier! I think it's a sin to plug into a pedal or any effects before plugging into an amp.

oh how the tables have turned.